Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2015, 11:58 AM

23,125 posts, read 10,422,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Hannibal, we are perfectly happy to use your list with the warning that it is NOT a list "from on high," but that ANY article on your list is subject to examination as to whether the perceptions in it are correct: whether the action under consideration causes harm to either the participants or to anyone else.

Now if you would like to discuss an item on that list without the condition that it must be wrong simply because it is on your list, have at it.

These are just a few scriptures, are they true?

Is the New Testament absolutely wrong when you have taken it and applied your own examination?

1 Corinthians 5
Immorality Rebuked
1It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of such a kind as does not exist even among the Gentiles, that someone has his father's wife. 2You have become arrogant and have not mourned instead, so that the one who had done this deed would be removed from your midst.…

The Body is a Temple of the Holy Spirit
18Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body. 19Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own?…

2 Corinthians 12:21
I am afraid that when I come again my God will humble me before you, and I will be grieved over many who have sinned earlier and have not repented of the impurity, sexual sin and debauchery in which they have indulged.

Ephesians 5:3
But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people.

Galatians 5:19
The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery;

Colossians 3:5
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

1 Thessalonians 4:3
It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality;

Hebrews 13:4
Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 12:09 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
These are just a few scriptures, are they true?

Is the New Testament absolutely wrong when you have taken it and applied your own examination?

1 Corinthians 5
Immorality Rebuked
1It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of such a kind as does not exist even among the Gentiles, that someone has his father's wife. 2You have become arrogant and have not mourned instead, so that the one who had done this deed would be removed from your midst.…
As to the others, there is no argument and no details about what Paul is talking about. As to the man with his father's wife, that was categorized as incest at the time and place, but there is no further information on the subject, so examination is inconclusive.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:12 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
And, how does the "anti-gay" sermon go? I have never heard one. Do you mean that marriage is between a man and a woman? Sodomy? Since you have heard them, maybe you could outline one for us here. I am sure you can accuse the church of "anti-prostitution" and "anti-adultery" sermons also but I am not getting your point here. I think we are all aware that most churches have sermons that condemn sin. I grew up with the "fire and brimstone" sermons so you know where I think all this goes in the end.

In order to help those that just don't get it, I found this article for those that actually read rather than listen to the media hype on their favorite channel: On religious freedom vs. gay rights - Times Gazette - timesgazette.com and this might help you out also: Christians go on offense: New effort bans feds’ ‘hostility’

Do you have a link to your polls that show how many are supporting same sex marriage and in what way. I have an article where only 50% of the millennials think that same sex is not moral. Study: Millennials Still Question Morality of Gay Sex, Abortion and they were supposed to be the saving grace for the sinful or that's what I keep seeing people saying. Supporting? Explain. You do realize that if people are asked directly, most are not faithful enough or brave enough to risk life and limb to say they don't approve. They don't want themselves or their families attacked. To me, that does not mean we think it is moral or the way marriage should be but are just tired of hearing them whine about it. So, they have marriage but they want more, they want others who feel that marriage is between a man and a woman to deny their God and come join in the "fun".

I read through quite a bite about the First Amendment as it applies to the government and private individuals when it comes to religious freedom and I am of the opinion that I do not see any way that the Supreme Court should be forcing people to go against their religion to provide services for a same sex marriage when the person is guided by their religious principal of marriage being between one man and one woman.

We all sin. Jesus accepted everyone but he did not become involved in their sin. He didn't contract with the thief or the prostitute for services. Do you think he would have participated in a gay parade? Attended a gay wedding?

Just once, I would like to have an intelligent conversation on this rather than have to deal with the "gang" mentality and bullying that is being dished out by those who hope to take God from our lives.

I did not mean that the anti gay sermons were opposed to same sex marriage or even the act of homosexualtiy. The ones I have heard clips of dealt with saying that homosexuals were after the children of the congregation and that they were into many things that probably the majority of homosexuals would find diviant. I do not keep a record of everything I have ever heard or read so if you wish to not beleive me I really do not care. If Jesus ever existed and was around today I do think he would attend the gay wedding of a friend. But that is just a guess,. Your last paragraph is pretty dismissive. Is it right for you to put your od into other people's lves?

Old 04-07-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
As to the others, there is no argument and no details about what Paul is talking about. As to the man with his father's wife, that was categorized as incest at the time and place, but there is no further information on the subject, so examination is inconclusive.

Sexual immoral acts are things like a man sleeping with another man, a man sleeping with an animal, a man having sex with his mother, fornication, adultery.

These are things that the New Testament is telling you that if you do them, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.

If you sleep with an animal you are found in sexual immorality, if a man has sex with another man, this is sexual immorality that bars the person from entering the kingdom of heaven.

Is it your claim that this isn't true in the New Testament?

Has the rules of sexual immorality changed?

NO, it hasn't, and so where is the debate?

Old 04-07-2015, 01:09 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
<snip>
This accusing people of judging others, I don't really get that. The laws are written and those that don't obey suffer a certain fate. Same with public laws. You run the stop sign and I say you broke the law, I am not judging you, it is just a fact. I am stating to you what the law is and what the punishment is.
<snip>
It is not about judging it is not wanting to take part in a sinful celebration. That is actually not about the homosexual but about me making a choice based on my religious freedom. About me and my choices.
There was so much wrong and such screwed up thinking in that post that it would take days to unravel it. As a highlight . . . SIN has nothing to do with the LAW. Society sets those. Businesses do NOT enforce God's laws against SIN. They only are allowed to enforce society's laws . . . NOT God's. Businesses have no right to judge the use to which their products will be put (as long as they are LEGAL according to society's laws). Whether or not the USE they will be put to is "sinful" is irrelevant to the laws of commerce in America. You keep your concern over God's laws to the confines of YOUR personal life and that of your religion . . . they have no place in business. Your concern over the survival of these businesses trying to enforce their God's laws on their customers is misplaced. If they cannot provide their products or services to everyone (whether or not they follow their God's laws) . . . they should NOT BE in business.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:15 PM

939 posts, read 794,872 times
How much pleasure does it give you to mock Christianity? You are a sad case- nothing better to do with your time, I guess. By the way- separation of Church and State was intended by our founding fathers to keep gov't out of the church, but our liberal judges have turned it around, and the ignorant American public buys into it.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Just once, I would like to have an intelligent conversation on this rather than have to deal with the "gang" mentality and bullying that is being dished out by those who hope to take God from our lives.
No one is trying to take God from YOUR lives. They just do NOT want you pushing YOUR God into their lives. Business is a PUBLIC enterprise and is NOT part of YOUR personal lives. What YOUR God approves of or disapproves of has no place in business, period. YOUR God can rule what YOU do or do not do in YOUR personal lives . . . but NOT what you do or do not do in business. YOUR God's prohibitions cannot be forced into anyone else's lives through business.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
How much pleasure does it give you to mock Christianity? You are a sad case- nothing better to do with your time, I guess. By the way- separation of Church and State was intended by our founding fathers to keep gov't out of the church, but our liberal judges have turned it around, and the ignorant American public buys into it.
Mocking is unpleasant no matter who it is aimed at and I am annoyed with myself when I am provoked to it by the inanity of others. But Christianity itself is NOT being mocked. The improper exercise of it in society is being challenged legitimately. Christianity is ALL about how YOU are to live YOUR lives . . . NOT about how you are to FORCE others in society to live. The dictatorial posture of religions is being mocked and legitimately excoriated. This is NOT and was never meant to be a Theocracy. We live in a representative Republic using democratic principles of freedom with protections for minorities from the tyranny of the majority.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This is NOT and was never meant to be a Theocracy. We live in a representative Republic using democratic principles of freedom with protections for minorities from the tyranny of the majority.
Amen! God bless the Founding Fathers.

Old 04-07-2015, 01:49 PM

'' You will surely not die.''

This has always been the lie when God tells you that if you do a certain thing, you will die.

Then there are those people who will defy God and tell the lie to others and say,'' You will surely not die.''

But who is worse?

The person who was lied to a person who has committed the sin, or the person who is lying with a false spirit to lead others to death?

There is a lot of people like me who commit sexual immorality and I know myself, I know my weakness in that I will fall into it again, but I repent, and at least I am honest enough with myself to admit my sins so I at least have a chance to be forgiven my sin.

Then there are people who are lying to others, and they are more guilty than the ones who are committing the acts of sexual immorality.

WOE unto those, WOE unto those who are bringing the young down in the snare and who are standing against the commandments of God leading people into unrighteousness.

WOE unto those who call unrighteousness righteous, and those who would lead all the children into the lake of fire and think they have done no wrong, but there is a special punishment against the person who leads the children of God astray.

Temptations and Trespasses
42"Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe to stumble, it would be better for him if, with a heavy millstone hung around his neck, he had been cast into the sea. 43"If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable fire,…

Somebody actually brave enough to twist and turn the word of God as to lead all people into unrighteous acts that they themselves have deemed,.'' Righteous.''

Woe unto those who cause the little ones to stumble, it would be better for him or her, if they tied a millstone around their neck and cast into the sea.

Woe unto those for leading the children of God to commit acts of sexual immorality because they will fall farther than the ones committing the acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity