Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 12:04 AM

8,669 posts, read 4,753,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Died for their sins, or according to the Bible?
Or, he died "because of" humanities actions?

And was buried (entombed), but later, was raised from the dead.

There are those who see it as: He overcame, sin and death.
Not that he became sin in order to free you from the inevitable?
Free you from the inevitable?

Isaiah 64:6 We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.

Proverbs 28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

Hosea 5:15 Then I will return to my place until they admit their guilt and turn to me. For as soon as trouble comes, they will earnestly search for me.”

Who was in the belly of the whale.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 12:08 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,160,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
You will experience the state of dying, and death itself.

Old 05-23-2015, 12:10 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,160,537 times
Quote:

Old 05-26-2015, 09:58 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,872,830 times
Quote:

Isaiah 64:6 We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.

Proverbs 28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.

Hosea 5:15 Then I will return to my place until they admit their guilt and turn to me. For as soon as trouble comes, they will earnestly search for me.â€

Dear pinacled, the object of the thread is the one who merely believed God that Christ died for our offenses/sins, was entombed and roused the third day is righteous. Romans 4 does not say such a one who believes God is righteous if they do a bunch of stuff. Faith in what God has said is what pleases God.
Without faith it is impossible to please Him.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Died for their sins, or according to the Bible?
Or, he died "because of" humanities actions?

And was buried (entombed), but later, was raised from the dead.

There are those who see it as: He overcame, sin and death.
Not that he became sin in order to free you from the inevitable?
Right Jerwade,

Christ died for our sins:

1Co_15:3 For I give over to you among the first what also I accepted, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures,

Yes, there are those who think Jesus was just a great role model and that's that. They believe His death accomplished nothing. That is such a pity.

It is just so very simple it passes right over people: God reckons righteousness to the one believing Him that
  • Christ died for our sins
  • Christ was entombed
  • Christ was roused from the dead

Old 05-26-2015, 11:46 AM

273 posts, read 209,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Romans 4 has been on my mind a lot lately. Specifically Abraham. God calls what is not as if it were. For
Abraham, this was twofold. He would be the father of many nations even at the time he was childless and
Sarah's reproductive system was dead. He was righteous even when he wasn't. All he did was believe God
and God reckoned it to him for righteousness. Paul said this was not written because of him only but
because of us also to whom righteousness is about to be reckoned who are believing on Him.

We are righteous even while our righteousness is like filthy rags. Like Abraham we believe God. But we
believe God concerning His Son's death, entombment and being roused from the dead.

Isn't it nice to know God sees you are perfectly righteous?
I don't believe that God sees us as righteous. I believe God sees us as inable to be righteous. I believe God sees us as NEEDING His Son's Spirit to REPLACE our unrighteous spirit in order to be ACCEPTABLE (to be under Grace). So to be under Grace (to be approved) requires us to possess the Spirit of Christ.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
I don't believe that God sees us as righteous. I believe God sees us as inable to be righteous. I believe God sees us as NEEDING His Son's Spirit to REPLACE our unrighteous spirit in order to be ACCEPTABLE (to be under Grace). So to be under Grace (to be approved) requires us to possess the Spirit of Christ.
Hi Gibsonplayer,
It is when Abraham believed God that he would be the father of many nations that God reckoned righteousness to him.

Rom_4:5 Yet to him who is not working, yet is believing on Him Who is justifying the irreverent, his faith is
reckoned for righteousness."

Rom_4:9 This happiness, then, is it for the Circumcision, or for the Uncircumcision also? For we are saying,
"To Abraham faith is reckoned for righteousness."

Then, a little later Paul tells the nations that this reckoning of righteousness is not written because of him
only but because of those who are about to be believing Him:

Romans 4:22-24 Wherefore, also, it is reckoned to him for righteousness." (23) Now it was not written
because of him only, that it is reckoned to him, (24) but because of us also, to whom it is about to be
reckoned, who are believing on Him Who rouses Jesus our Lord from among the dead."

It is after God gives us the grace to believe and then we do believe that God sees us as righteous as His Son because we are "in Christ."

Old 05-26-2015, 03:46 PM

273 posts, read 209,874 times
Quote:
Hi Gibsonplayer,
It is when Abraham believed God that he would be the father of many nations that God reckoned righteousness to him.

Rom_4:5 Yet to him who is not working, yet is believing on Him Who is justifying the irreverent, his faith is
reckoned for righteousness."

Rom_4:9 This happiness, then, is it for the Circumcision, or for the Uncircumcision also? For we are saying,
"To Abraham faith is reckoned for righteousness."

Then, a little later Paul tells the nations that this reckoning of righteousness is not written because of him
only but because of those who are about to be believing Him:

Romans 4:22-24 Wherefore, also, it is reckoned to him for righteousness." (23) Now it was not written
because of him only, that it is reckoned to him, (24) but because of us also, to whom it is about to be
reckoned, who are believing on Him Who rouses Jesus our Lord from among the dead."

It is after God gives us the grace to believe and then we do believe that God sees us as righteous as His Son because we are "in Christ."
But under Grace was Abraham at that point. We are not under Grace unless in Christ. There is that difference. Otherwise, Paul wouldn't have to remind us of what sin is.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
But under Grace was Abraham at that point. We are not under Grace unless in Christ. There is that difference. Otherwise, Paul wouldn't have to remind us of what sin is.
The point though is, and this is what the original post is all about:

God declares a person righteous if they believe Him that Christ died for their offenses/sins, was entombed and roused the third day.

Paul brought up Abraham who just believed God and God accounted him righteous. And Paul used that experience to be that of anyone who believes God concerning Christ dying for our sins, was entombed and roused the third day, that such a one is righteous too.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:49 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,081,077 times
Quote:
If God does not give a person faith to be believing Him it is because they were not set for life eonian which is life pertaining to the future eons (Acts 13:48).

If they die prior to Christ's return they will not be resurrected to live during Christ's millennial reign. They will remain dead until the millennial reign is finishing and then be resurrected before the great white throne and then put into death again if not in the book of life. But the earth will have many unbelievers even during Christ's millennial reign.

Then when death is abolished (1 Cor.15:26) they will be vivified (made alive beyond the reach of death) and God will then be All in all (1 Cor.15:28).
So you're an annihilationist? You believe that instead of hell, they just get destroyed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity