Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 04:20 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,313,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You really didn't answer the question. Yes---some will receive the Gospel, and may be active in church life...but John clearly said that those that were of Christ would not leave.
See 1 John 2:[19] They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.
None of those who were seen from the beginning of the world that they would not hold out are included in the Lambs's Book of Life. Many who do not persevere to the end will fall away in Apostasy, but NO A SINGLE ONE OF GOD'S ELECT WILL FALL AWAY.

Quote:
Are we forgiven ONLY when we confess them? What if we don't remember those "minor sins"?
Martin Luther made a practice of praying to God to forgive him for sins he did not remember. That may be a good practice for all of us.

Quote:
I see no reason to believe that it's up to us to request the Spirit. Jesus said he would send the Helper, he never suggested that it was up to request him.
Jesus told the church in Laodicea in Rev. 3:[20] Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.
Our Savior does not push Himself on anyone. It is up to us to open the door for Him to come in.

Quote:
Are those works that the Spirit leads us to do meritorious for our salvation?
If we fail to follow the leading of the Spirit, how can we expect to go into the kingdom of Heaven? I'm sure we will all make many mistakes, but if we are growing in our faith, these mistakes should be greatly decreased as we continue to follow Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 04:35 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,280,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You do realize that the Bible says there is none righteous, and that no one seeks God, right?
The Bible says no one would be worthy. But for the Grace that God gave. Because he gave us his Son, Christ Jesus. Who paid OUR PRICE in torture and death. Though him YES WE ARE MADE RIGHTIOUS. THE BLOOD OF CHRIST IN TRUE FAITH AND REPENTENCE. MADE THE WAY.

Romans 3:9-11. 9)What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin; 10)as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; 11)THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;…

Ephesians 2:7-9 7)so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8) For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;9)not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.…

1 John 1:8. If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

This is still the basis of our unworthiness , but for the Grace of God we gained through Christ

“Without a heart transformed by the grace of Christ, we just continue to manage external and internal darkness.”

"Grace isn't just forgiveness, it is forgiveness fueled by surrender.”

“It's not the law of religion nor the principles of morality that define our highways and pathways to God; only by the Grace of God are we led and drawn, to God. It is His grace that conquers a multitude of flaws and in that grace, there is only favor. Favor is not achieved; favor is received.”

Old 04-09-2015, 08:18 AM

Steeps,
I was particularly impressed by your statement, "Grace isn't just forgiveness, it is forgiveness fueled by surrender.”
Dr. Michael Brown, who converted from Judaism and heroin addiction at age 16, recently preached a sermon entitled "Following Jesus is a dangerous thing," telling how, according to historical tradition, all the Apostles except John died Martyr's deaths. He quoted verses such as Matt. 10:[37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
[38] And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

Also Luke 14:[33] So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.
The previous elder of our church, who died in 2004, once said that all we need to do to be saved is to "Love the Lord our God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength."
That seems like a simple thing to do, but He calls on us to love Him and His Father more than we love anyone else on this earth or any earthly pleasure more than Them. We must make a total SURRENDER of our own will to do the will of our Father in Heaven.

Last edited by Robert M Prince; 04-09-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 04-10-2015, 08:05 AM

Watered-down versions of the true gospel of Christ have been some of the worst deceptions of Satan. Jesus makes some very high expectations of His true followers. See a few of these in Matt. 10:[37] He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
[38] And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.
[39] He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Also Luke 14:[33] So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he CANNOT be my disciple.

Dr. Michael Brown of the Line of Fire radio program says that the CANNOT in the above passage means almost impossible, as when an airline flight is cancelled, you CANNOT get on your flight.

A watered down gospel will not get us into the kingdom of heaven. Matt. 7:[21] Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity