Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should gay people be afforded the same rights and respects as anyone else in society?
Yes 50 86.21%
No 8 13.79%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 03:50 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Who is getting mistreated? A Christian doesn't want to participate in a mockery of something that their faith holds dear. Why should they be forced to? Why do you feel it's ok to mistreat the Christian and walk on their religious freedoms?

No one is saying we should not sell groceries to a gay person, or to sell them a pizza, or even a cake.
Vizio, if you don't think that gay people are and have been historically mistreated because of their sexuality then you have your head up...uh..in the sand. The reason for the laws on the books that protects sexuality as a class is because of that historic mistreatment and the current discussion is about a blatant attempt to circumvent those laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 04:14 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Vizio, if you don't think that gay people are and have been historically mistreated because of their sexuality then you have your head up...uh..in the sand. The reason for the laws on the books that protects sexuality as a class is because of that historic mistreatment and the current discussion is about a blatant attempt to circumvent those laws.
Maybe they get mistreated because it is unnatural. There. I said it. If you don't want to get mistreated, turn away from a deviant lifestyle. Racism is wrong. We can not change the way God made us. It's natural. But to live a deviant lifestyle is Something you can change. And when you choose to live a deviant lifestyle, you want everybody to be forced to roll over and accept your beliefs. Even if you only represent less than 1% of the population.

Sorry. Deal with it. Continue your fight if you wish. That's one right you do have. But don't be confused as to what a "right" is. Read the constitution. You are protected just as well as I am.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Maybe they get mistreated because it is unnatural. There. I said it. If you don't want to get mistreated, turn away from a deviant lifestyle. Racism is wrong. We can not change the way God made us. It's natural. But to live a deviant lifestyle is Something you can change. And when you choose to live a deviant lifestyle, you want everybody to be forced to roll over and accept your beliefs. Even if you only represent less than 1% of the population.

Sorry. Deal with it. Continue your fight if you wish. That's one right you do have. But don't be confused as to what a "right" is. Read the constitution. You are protected just as well as I am.
Whether it is "unnatural" or not it is simply shameful to mistreat anyone, especially based on something that has no real impact on the a... person who is doing the mistreating. Most of the country is coming to recognize that this is wrong.....deal with it.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
I KNOW they have. But in this case, they aren't. In this case it's a case of the gay militants attacking Christianity. The law is a bad law because it is giving a protected class status to people that choose one way of sex over another. It is no more appropriate to define sexual preferences as protected as it is to identify Cub fans as a protected class.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:30 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
Quote:
Whether it is "unnatural" or not it is simply shameful to mistreat anyone, especially based on something that has no real impact on the a... person who is doing the mistreating. Most of the country is coming to recognize that this is wrong.....deal with it.
I'm fine with it. They can have all the equality they can get. What I get upset about is the fact that they are trying to FORCE those of us who don't agree with the lifestyle to pander to them. I'm just not going to do it. If I own a bakery and it is against my belief for to men to marry, then I shouldn't be forced to bake them a cake. And if I refuse my business shouldn't be attacked. They should respect my choice just like they want me to respect their choice. And if I'm a minister and it is against my faith that 2 women be married, then I shouldn't be forced to perform the ceremony.

I hope they get the benefits they are seeking. Hell, that's fair. Just quit forcing it down our throat. If we don't accept it, that's our choice. Respect that.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I KNOW they have. But in this case, they aren't. In this case it's a case of the gay militants attacking Christianity. The law is a bad law because it is giving a protected class status to people that choose one way of sex over another. It is no more appropriate to define sexual preferences as protected as it is to identify Cub fans as a protected class.
Vizio, the protected status is about the fact that the people who, in your words, choose one way of sex over another. The reason for the protection is because of the persecution resulting from that "choice." How hard is that?

Old 04-10-2015, 04:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Then, you support this agenda: The homosexual propaganda campaign in America's media

Military opportunities? In the US. You'll need to support that with a link. My link: Sexual orientation and military service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
‘Religious liberty’ and sexual orientation discrimination
The Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act of 2010 was a monumental piece of legislation for our military and for gay and lesbian service members, but the bill did not firmly put an end to discrimination for LGBT members of our military. Earlier versions of legislation to repeal Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell not only struck down the 1993 law but also called for a policy of nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation in the military to replace it; the bill that Congress passed and that President Barack Obama signed into law included no such language. As a result, LGBT service members are not a protected class under the military’s Equal Opportunity policy, which protects service members from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, and religion, and creates a clear pathway for recourse outside of the chain of command. Instead, LGBT service members have been instructed report harassment and abuse to their chain of command or to file a complaint with the inspector general. This, however, does not trigger the same data collection process that an Equal Opportunity complaint would incite, so they Department of Defense currently does not collect any data on sexual orientation discrimination.

The Battles Continue

Old 04-10-2015, 04:39 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
And if I'm a minister and it is against my faith that 2 women be married, then I shouldn't be forced to perform the ceremony.

You, like Viz, need to be reassured that NO same-sex couple is going to ask a frowny-faced anti-gay minister to participate in the happiest day of their lives. 1) Civil marriage (no minister needed) and 2) There are plenty of accepting, loving members of the clergy who are happy to join the happy couple in marriage.

Same sex couples are being married every.single.day and neither the participation nor approval of the militant anti-gay Christians is needed.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I'm fine with it. They can have all the equality they can get. What I get upset about is the fact that they are trying to FORCE those of us who don't agree with the lifestyle to pander to them.....
No, it is the fact that they want to force you to treat them as you would anyone else. THAT is not "pandering" that is equal protection under the law. The fact is that discrimination is not allowed against certain classes that have a history of discrimination because of that class. You don't like the class? Tough cookies.
You are in the same boat as those who didn't want equal rights for blacks or women, for examples.

Old 04-10-2015, 04:42 PM

10,525 posts, read 6,157,413 times
Quote:
I'm fine with it. They can have all the equality they can get. What I get upset about is the fact that they are trying to FORCE those of us who don't agree with the lifestyle to pander to them. I'm just not going to do it. If I own a bakery and it is against my belief for to men to marry, then I shouldn't be forced to bake them a cake. And if I refuse my business shouldn't be attacked. They should respect my choice just like they want me to respect their choice. And if I'm a minister and it is against my faith that 2 women be married, then I shouldn't be forced to perform the ceremony.

I hope they get the benefits they are seeking. Hell, that's fair. Just quit forcing it down our throat. If we don't accept it, that's our choice. Respect that.
Not very equal that is it?
Just out of interest if I owned a bakery and refused to serve Christians, would that be okay?
What if I had a sign on the door: 'No Christians'. You would be fine with that would you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity