Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:26 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
OP, I am kind of the opposite from you but I feel your pain.

I was raised and believe the doctrine of Southern Baptist but I really can't stand the whole praise worship, contemporary performance most have become. I would like just a good bible study with traditional hymns. Have gone to a nearby Episcopalian church and liked the services and the people and could deal with the liturgy, but as they did the ritual things I felt very uncomfortable.

Wish you well in your journey of faith. BTW Missouri Synod of Lutheran might work for you.
Not criticizing, but curious: WHY exactly did you feel uncomfortable with the Eucharist? I am Episcopalian now, but I did not grow up in it. Our communion service was a couple of times a year when they passed around plates with little shot glasses of grape juice and squares of wonder bread. It was almost sort of an afterthought. Oddly, now that I look back on it, the altar at my Reformed church was inscribed with "This Do In Remembrance Of Me" but we rarely did it, lol.

I felt a little awkward when I first attended an Episcopal church because I wasn't sure what to do. Now I know it doesn't matter. Some people genuflect before they enter their pew, some don't. I still don't know if I'm making the sign of the cross the right way, but I know it doesn't matter.

But I truly do get something out of the Eucharist--sometimes. It's not something I can make happen and it's not something that happens every time I take communion, and sometimes my mind is wandering as the service is being read and I'm responding automatically. But...there are those times when I've taken the bread and wine and gone back to my pew and knelt and I feel it, the Communion of all those with me brought together into one by something more than the sum of who we are. It's hard to put into words, but it's there, and it comes when it will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 12:17 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,331,019 times
FWIW concerning attending a new church and especially one with new or different worship or liturgy styles, if the episcopals are similar to the catholics in this regard---doubt anybody cares how you kneel or don't kneel, cross or don't cross yourself as long as you appear quiet and respectful---most churches and congregations tend to be considerate of a "newbie" and either will be openly helpful or (sometimes just as good) just let you alone to watch and learn without feeling judged or smothered with attention. when in doubt sit in the back and watch what everybody else does and follow along---or don't (again, just as long as you're quiet and respectful).

at it's highest and best liturgy/ritual of any sort or amount is simply a means of helping the worshipper (and especially groups of worshippers) to unite with each other in shared words and actions as a community (literally "in communion" with each other) to give special worship/praise/honor to God who is both our brother/sister/friend AND the eternal Creator, Redeemer, and Lord of all---both intimate in our own hearts and transcendent beyond everything that is, was, or will be at one and the same time.

that said, sometimes, it not so much completely understanding what and why everything is being done by minister or congregation---sometimes it's just finding a place of comfort and peace (and that can happen in the smallest corner of either a full or empty church---and no doubt ultimately everywhere else) where first you can "put yourself out" to God (and hopefully let Him in) for yourself and then with time begin to join in with and understand what everybody else is doing for likely the very same purpose--reaching out to God in loving worship and also to the people there in loving fellowship in and outside the church building.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 04-18-2015 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: more info.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:27 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
FWIW concerning attending a new church and especially one with new or different worship or liturgy styles, if the episcopals are similar to the catholics in this regard---doubt anybody cares how you kneel or don't kneel, cross or don't cross yourself as long as you appear quiet and respectful---most churches and congregations tend to be considerate of a "newbie" and either will be openly helpful or (sometimes just as good) just let you alone to watch and learn without feeling judged or smothered with attention. when in doubt sit in the back and watch what everybody else does and follow along---or don't (again, just as long as you're quiet and respectful).

at it's highest and best liturgy/ritual of any sort or amount is simply a means of helping the worshipper (and especially groups of worshippers) to unite with each other in shared words and actions as a community (literally "in communion" with each other) to give special worship/praise/honor to God who is both our brother/sister/friend AND the eternal Creator, Redeemer, and Lord of all---both intimate in our own hearts and transcendent beyond everything that is, was, or will be at one and the same time.

that said, sometimes, it not so much completely understanding what and why everything is being done by minister or congregation---sometimes it's just finding a place of comfort and peace (and that can happen in the smallest corner of either a full or empty church---and no doubt ultimately everywhere else) where first you can "put yourself out" to God (and hopefully let Him in) for yourself and then with time begin to join in with and understand what everybody else is doing for likely the very same purpose--reaching out to God in loving worship and also to the people there in loving fellowship in and outside the church building.
Beautiful post.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Of course the church has the bible - they put the thing together. It was not around at the time of Christ though. No one needed a bible to come to him when he walked the earth. The bible is a great big fat idol.

You realize Jesus quoted from the Bible on many occasions, right? He affirmed the OT canon.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:22 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You realize Jesus quoted from the Bible on many occasions, right? He affirmed the OT canon.
Stop dissembling, Vizio. Jesus did no such thing. He did NOT affirm the OT canon. He cited it to establish HIS bona fides as the one who was prophesied to come from God, period. His many contradictions of the OT should have disabused you of the silly idea that Jesus confirmed the OT canon.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:02 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not criticizing, but curious: WHY exactly did you feel uncomfortable with the Eucharist? I am Episcopalian now, but I did not grow up in it. Our communion service was a couple of times a year when they passed around plates with little shot glasses of grape juice and squares of wonder bread. It was almost sort of an afterthought. Oddly, now that I look back on it, the altar at my Reformed church was inscribed with "This Do In Remembrance Of Me" but we rarely did it, lol.

I felt a little awkward when I first attended an Episcopal church because I wasn't sure what to do. Now I know it doesn't matter. Some people genuflect before they enter their pew, some don't. I still don't know if I'm making the sign of the cross the right way, but I know it doesn't matter.

But I truly do get something out of the Eucharist--sometimes. It's not something I can make happen and it's not something that happens every time I take communion, and sometimes my mind is wandering as the service is being read and I'm responding automatically. But...there are those times when I've taken the bread and wine and gone back to my pew and knelt and I feel it, the Communion of all those with me brought together into one by something more than the sum of who we are. It's hard to put into words, but it's there, and it comes when it will.
Kissing the Bible was what made me uncomfortable, I apologize if I said anything to say anti communion.

We do the Lord's Supper in remembrance of me so most of the service was familiar but different. I am accustomed to standing to hear/read the Lord's word, but that kiss threw me a little.

Thanks for asking so that I could clear it up.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:12 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
OP, don't lose faith in the Catholic Church. She has survived many things, and there are lots of challenges in this day and age. I personally really like our Pope, and modern times have presented lots of challenges that I think he's handled well; but even if you don't like the Pope, remember the Church is bigger than just him. There are plenty of more conservative Catholic parishes (regular Latin rite ones).

Based on what you described though, if you really do want to leave the Church, Orthodox or maybe some Lutheran denominations come to mind. As mentioned though, there are many conservative Catholic churches in almost every major metro area.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:35 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Just be careful with liturgies. They can contain some nasty ideas like hell, guilt, punishment, the wrath of God, etc. Don't allow yourself to become programmed by repeating negative stuff in church on a weekly basis. Just a fair warning from this former fundamentalist Lutheran (Missouri Synod).

Old 04-19-2015, 11:50 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIJ95 View Post
I'm raised Catholic, Italian American. I am disenchanted with the Catholic Church because of the fact that the pope isn't really respectable. He is coming off as desperate to try to seem relevant by being the "cool liberal" pope. I am drawn more toward religion lately and actually went to a non denominational evangelical Protestant church and I actually really liked it. Maybe it's the catholic in me but for some reason it didn't feel complete without the Eucharist and the "ceremony" I am used too. Which makes it feel more like church and gets you in the "zone" so to speak and makes you feel less like yore just going to see an inspirational speaker. However it seems that the churches that are Protestant but liturgical/Eucharist are really liberal denominations like Episcopalians who seem very permissive to me and don't really stand for anything but just look like they are trying to be relevant. I guess I could get used too the more new agey type of evangelical service but I was just wondering if there are any conservative Protestant denominations that still have set hymns/liturgy and do the Eucharist. Maybe the Lutherans? I am really kind of shopping around and seeing what's best for me because I am searching for something deeper I guess.

If you could tell me about anything I am describing or maybe link me to an actual church that would be wonderful and I would be very thankful. I'm 20 and live in NYC
Also, it's important to remember that nothing has changed as far as church doctrine, even though the pope's personality may be more "liberal." You can stick to tradition, but still be respectful and have a civil relationship with those who may not share the same beliefs. That is what I think Pope Francis has done (St. John Paul II was similar in this regard). You won't find the Eucharist to be the same outside of the Church, as you are noticing. That should be more important than the personality of the current Pope. May God bless you on your spiritual journey.

Last edited by personone; 04-19-2015 at 12:09 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 03:40 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
You would feel comfortable in the ELCA or the UMC. Some are more conservative than others.-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity