Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:13 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Jesus told his disciples to buy a sword.
Do you keep a sword next to your pulpit? Or do you wear a belt with a scabbard for the sword so people will know you're following Jesus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you keep a sword next to your pulpit? Or do you wear a belt with a scabbard for the sword so people will know you're following Jesus?
No. I don't need to protect myself where I am. His disciples did, though. The principle is that self-defense, and defense of others is permissable.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I am cool with it. Liberals have made our country a very unsafe place for regular people.
I think most Americans would consider Canada to be a very liberal country. Our Conservatives are probably a tad to the left of Obama.

And nobody around here packs heat to attend Church, even in the poorest, toughest sections of inner cities.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think most Americans would consider Canada to be a very liberal country. Our Conservatives are probably a tad to the left of Obama.

And nobody around here packs heat to attend Church, even in the poorest, toughest sections of inner cities.
Maybe they need to.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:28 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Maybe they need to.
Why would they?

Old 04-22-2015, 11:29 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Maybe they need to.
I used to attend a church that was in the middle of a gang-ridden (Crips) neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles. I never carried a gun or a weapon. I never even thought about it. I asked Jesus to protect me. And my young son. (He liked the services at that particular church which was some distance from where we lived.) He did. We never had a problem.

Is Jesus not protecting anyone else?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:01 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
Quote:
I used to attend a church that was in the middle of a gang-ridden (Crips) neighborhood in South Central Los Angeles. I never carried a gun or a weapon. I never even thought about it. I asked Jesus to protect me. And my young son. (He liked the services at that particular church which was some distance from where we lived.) He did. We never had a problem.

It would have also probably been illegal for you to do so. (California.)

Why doesn't Jesus protect other people from violent crime..? I don't quite understand your last question, Dew.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:01 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
The urging of guns in church is political. God and guns.

I am not buying the whole, the sky is falling unless church members carry guns, meme.

Rather than urge the congregation to become pro active about state budget cuts that impact their safety, his solution is guns.

What happened to hiring a bus, and going to the State Capital to protest budget cuts?

Old 04-22-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Jesus never promised safety for anyone. The apostles were mostly martyred.

If you don't want to carry a gun, that's fine -- your choice. I don't carry one, either.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

that's not the point. You also do not have the same conditions there as we do here. I said liberals have made my area unsafe for women and children. .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity