Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 10:07 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes being indoctrinated in school and the media. Poor kids no chance to form an opinion as an adult, it is forced on them as children. At least with church you have 36,000 choices, in the Gay world you have one choice. Theirs.
Hmmm I was never indoctrinated. Media? You mean radio? Back in the day there were no televisions.

LGBT? We call them family and friends. We call them Mom, and Dad, Aunt and Uncle. We call them Brother and Sister. We call them sir, and ma'am. We call them Mr Mayor, and Senator. We called them Nana, and Grandpa. This is the Gay World I am familiar with for eons and eons.

Fundamentalism ideology does not lend itself to choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 12:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Yes being indoctrinated in school and the media. Poor kids no chance to form an opinion as an adult, it is forced on them as children. At least with church you have 36,000 choices, in the Gay world you have one choice. Theirs.

Unlike any one we know?

Throughout my 20+ years as a teacher, I have never seen a teacher force their beliefs, ideas of politics on a student. Just the opposite actually.
I have had students ask about just about every religion..is it good? is it bad? Should I join?

My answer, and 99% of the other teachers I know is YOU NEED TO RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF.

They ask about polotics..my parents say to vote repug or democrap.

My answer, and 99% of the other teachers I know is YOU NEED TO RESEARCH FOR YOURSELF.

They ask about what it means to be a good person..my answer includes to do no harm to others, to help when you can and cry when you need to.

They ask about just about everything and anything. Teachers almost always point the kids towards research or helping when possible.

When they ask about equality, most (I always do) respond with everyone has to be treated fairly, not that we get what we want but we should have what we need and if you or I are allowed to do something, they should be allowed to do it as well.

UNLIKE the church that ALWAYS teaches ONE way and ONLY ONE WAY and that we must all act the same, believe the same and talk the same.

It is the church where indoctrination occurs..36,000 choices? I thought the church even picked the color of your KJV bible cover for you?

I remember when I brought my purple NIV into the Type A Presbyterian 5000-member Mega church. By the looks I had gotten, if hey had a cross I was going to be next...

As for the media, 90% is owned and controlled by the evangelical RIGHT and Rupert Murdoch / Sudi Prince Alha-Fob...(AKA FOX NEWS)

Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Unlike any one we know?

As for the media, 90% is owned and controlled by the evangelical RIGHT and Rupert Murdoch / Sudi Prince Alha-Fob...(AKA FOX NEWS)
Uh, that is a small fraction of the Media not 90%

Indoctrination takes place all the time and has for as long as I have been around and I went to school in the 50's and early 60's. I believe one of the first was a book about the two "Janes" or something.

Now a Church is free to indoctrinate as it wishes, even if ............... wrong. Society has not gotten any smarter or more intelligent, just influenced by a different set of ideas. Nothing new and no guarantee it is actually correct, just what many want. Now I do not care who marries who. That is a personal choice.

However your 90% statement above does show such indoctrination.

Note: I am not a Liberal, Conservative, Independent, right or left. I think for myself.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
[/b]

And many are saying that is what is happening with acceptance of gay marriage and other types of marriages. Funny how people see it works one way but not both ways.
What are the "other types"? I haven't heard! Can my toaster marry my cat now?

Old 04-27-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:

Uh, that is a small fraction of the Media not 90%

Indoctrination takes place all the time and has for as long as I have been around and I went to school in the 50's and early 60's. I believe one of the first was a book about the two "Janes" or something.

Now a Church is free to indoctrinate as it wishes, even if ............... wrong. Society has not gotten any smarter or more intelligent, just influenced by a different set of ideas. Nothing new and no guarantee it is actually correct, just what many want. Now I do not care who marries who. That is a personal choice.

However your 90% statement above does show such indoctrination.

Note: I am not a Liberal, Conservative, Independent, right or left. I think for myself.

6 Corporations own 90% of the US media market

Old 04-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Yep, though run by managers as it were. However 90% of those 6 corps, etc are NOT Conservative, rather Liberal. Just read or listen to them.

Old 04-27-2015, 07:16 PM

which one is liberal? Disney??

Old 04-27-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
which one is liberal? Disney??
Absolutely.

Which one owns CNN, MSNBC?

Old 04-28-2015, 05:30 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Knock it off! This is not the Politics forum.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
Quote:
James Dobson's organization is prophesying the end of civilization as we know it when SCOTUS affirms equality this summer...

National Organization for Marriage president, Maggie Gallagher, "I think we had better be psychologically and spiritually prepared for that and be prepared to rebuild from the ruins of the collapse of civilization that we're witnessing."
Well, of course, it would be the end of "civilization" as bigoted conservative Christians know it because it would indicate that they're no longer in control ... a really horrifying concept for authoritarian religious zealots to contemplate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity