Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 09:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
And exactly how are we mistreating people? All we are saying is that we do not support gay marriage and believe homosexuality is a sin! That's it. I will still be a good neighbor and help gay people, but if they demand that I accept their lifestyle then I will speak up. That doesn't make me a bigot.

Again, you act like disproving of sin means mistreating people.
... but are you not demanding that they accept your lifestyle in opposition?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:42 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Spare me the theatrics. I will make the comparison because it simply is another form of sexual immorality. It wasn't that long ago when sodomy was criminal.
The difference being that we can now recognize that there is no good reason for sex between consenting adults that harms no one to be "criminal." Sex with minors is criminal for very good reason.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:02 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times
Quote:
Do you oppose discrimination against pedophiles especially after they have paid their debt to society?

The same Jesus did not tolerate sin. He said go and sin no more. I guess you cut that part of your version of the Bible. Jesus called the Pharisees vipers because they looked down on other people and believed they were above other groups. Pretty much how you treat me.
Pedophiles that serve their time in prison may not be eligible to work in a day care any more than a bank embezzler should be put in charge of a bank. But if you wouldn't welcome them into your church that says something about you, not them.

And strange you should mention pedophiles. After my wife's sister was killed in a car accident, one of her daughters was in several homes before coming to live with us at 12 years old. She hadn't been long with us until she told our son her "secret." Another uncle had been sexually abusing her for months. My son gave her no choice but to tell us. When I told my wife's greater family about it they wanted the offender to get "help" outside the legal system. But I researched state law to discover failure to report suspected abuse by a guardian was itself a crime and so we reported it to the Bureau of Human Resources.

My wife and I sat through half a dozen interviews from various sources including the county prosecutor's office. Eventually my the husband of my wife's second sister was arrested. We were vilified amongst her family. While he was in jail awaiting trial I visited him several times and took cigarets and food, asked what else I could do, offered to help his family out, and in general did the things Jesus commands us to do for those imprisoned.

On the date of his trial my wife and niece and I sat alone on one side of the courtroom. The other uncle's greater family AND my wife's greater family sat on the other. We got to hear him plead guilty to 50 counts of sexual abuse of a child. It was one of the saddest days in my life, because Christ followers don't take joy in punishment of sinners---it is a day of despair, not rejoicing. He went away for five years instead of twenty by pleading guilty.

So not only do I have a better biblical understanding than you do regarding homosexuals, I certainly better understand the agony that pedophilia inflicts on people. We spent significant dollars on sending her to a psychologist for counseling and were rewarded when that psychologist told us she most likely would not suffer long term effects from her experience because trusted family members believed her and stood up for her when so often no one does. And she got to witness Christlike action in my visitation of the one who harmed her. We had numerous discussions regarding forgiving your enemies.

The difference between a Christ follower and a Pharisee is in how they view sin. You constantly show your relationship to those Pharisees with your concern about others' sins. I attempt to be a Christ follower by forgiving and helping those who others would consider despicable.

Which one of us do you think those sinners wish to hear from?

Old 05-07-2015, 01:11 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,370,247 times
Quote:
Do you oppose discrimination against pedophiles especially after they have paid their debt to society?
There is nothing wrong with BEING a pedophile. There is something wrong with engaging sexually with children. This should not be a concept alien to you given your brand of religion touts the phrase "Hate the sin, not the sinner".

If a person commits a crime, they have served their time, and their period on the registers, then I see no reason to discriminate against them either. Do you? If so what form would that discrimination take?

Quote:
Spare me the theatrics. I will make the comparison because it simply is another form of sexual immorality.
But the theatrics are yours alone. It is you putting yourself on a podium and simply declaring by fiat what is included under the empty term "sexually immorality" and what is not. From your podium you simply include whatever you personally have an agenda against and make things like pedophilia and homosexuality equivalent for no other reason than this agenda.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Pedophiles that serve their time in prison may not be eligible to work in a day care any more than a bank embezzler should be put in charge of a bank. But if you wouldn't welcome them into your church that says something about you, not them.
I pastored at a church where a male admitted he had committed a sexual act against a minor previously, had served federal time for it and was on lifelong parole. We had a contract position at the church that was perfect for him; as part of his application he disclosed to us his history. As he was the best candidate, we hired him.

Later he asked if he could be elected and serve on the board. When the meeting came to elect new board members, he was open and honest about his history, what he has done since then, what restrictions remained on him vis a vis parole and asked everyone to consider electing him to the board. He was elected unanimously; a very proud moment for me - leading a church where people put into action the teachings of Jesus... love, not judge.

Old 05-07-2015, 06:52 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,728,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The difference being that we can now recognize that there is no good reason for sex between consenting adults that harms no one to be "criminal." Sex with minors is criminal for very good reason.
So I guess that means you support incest, correct?

Old 05-07-2015, 09:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Why not? The God you worship had no problem with it.

At least, according to your "holy" book.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:32 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,124 times
These gay threads sure do get a lot of posts. I wonder why?

Old 05-07-2015, 10:34 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,124 times
Quote:
Only a fundie grasping for straws would infer such a thing.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:45 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,611,869 times
Quote:
Most countries have laws against incest. In this country, there are laws preventing close family members from getting married.

Some states allow first cousins to marry without restriction.

Some states allow cousins to marry if one of the couple is unable to have children, or the couple is older.

Define incest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity