Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM

479 posts, read 1,141,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmulk View Post
Am I missing something? When did we change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday? Isn't this a calendar thing? Did God ever tell us NOT to celebrate the birth of Christ? Perhaps I'm ignorant of Scripture, but did God tell us NOT to exalt Easter over the crucifixion?

And Passover as I understand it, is not Christ's death. It's a Jewish celebration commemorating the angel of death 'passing over' their homes in Egypt before the Israelites left.

Aside from all this, does ANYONE except a rabid legalist really believe that God is upset if we celebrate Christmas? Personally, I have stopped the gift-giving crapola and have been focusing on the birth of Christ for ten years now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't GRACE fit into our salvation just a bit???? I'm through with people's attempts to control me with their legalism. I am liberated by the blood of Jesus. Legalism be damned.
Praise be to God regarding all of which that you've posted above. The Lord is truly speaking through you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 09:06 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic33 View Post
Deuteronomy 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you

Has not mankind continued to defy God in the strict command?

Examples:
1) Changing the Sabbath from the seventh day (Saturday) to the first (Sunday)
2) Instituting the festival of Easter (resurrection) over the passover (his death)
3) Celebration of our Savior's birthday

The Bible alongside history books clearly show us that these things were not part of the Old Covenant with Israel or the New Testament church that Christ started. It was not until Rome decided it nearly 300 hundred years later.

Now the question that I ask everyone is: What do you think God thinks about how mankind has added to and subtracted from the religion that was practiced by our Savior and the apostles.
I think if u had used the book of mormon as an example or some other religions who have their own bible like Jehova's witness ect, then we could talk about adding to or subtracting from...but the Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath and we should keep the Sabbath every day in our hearts. The meaning of the Sabbath in not about the day in and of itself. Rather it is more about setting time asisde for God alone. Futhermore, celebrating the birth of Jesus is absolutely Biblical- the wisemen celebrated the birth of Jesus as did the shepards and heavenly host, so should we do any less? And, if we rejoice at the birth of our Saviour should we also not rejoice at HIS resurrection? Jesus got up from the grave with all power in HIS hands having paid the penalty for sin once and for all and now the Comforter could come to all men. I don't know about u, but that gives me great cause to rejoice. This is all about Gods love for men and HIS plan of redemption. In essence these examples u used here is what the Bible is all about

Old 01-20-2008, 09:28 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,196,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic33 View Post
Deuteronomy 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you

Has not mankind continued to defy God in the strict command?

Examples:
1) Changing the Sabbath from the seventh day (Saturday) to the first (Sunday)
2) Instituting the festival of Easter (resurrection) over the passover (his death)
3) Celebration of our Savior's birthday

The Bible alongside history books clearly show us that these things were not part of the Old Covenant with Israel or the New Testament church that Christ started. It was not until Rome decided it nearly 300 hundred years later.

Now the question that I ask everyone is: What do you think God thinks about how mankind has added to and subtracted from the religion that was practiced by our Savior and the apostles.
Not very happy that's for sure. "It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God." (Hebrews 10:31)

Old 04-06-2008, 11:38 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
Remember, according to Christ, we are not bound by the law.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
Now the question that I ask everyone is: What do you think God thinks about how mankind has added to and subtracted from the religion that was practiced by our Savior and the apostles

what do i think?
i think HE is shaking his head so much he is getting dizzy...

Old 04-07-2008, 03:12 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,298 times
Church on Sunday= celebrating the day He rose from the dead, not celebrating sabbath.
passsover=I am not jewish
Christmas= not Jesus b-day true, does not say in scripture how to celebtare it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity