Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:43 AM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

Study: Americans becoming less Christian, more secular - AOL.com

quote: Between 2007 and 2014, when Pew conducted two major surveys of U.S. religious life, Americans who described themselves as atheist, agnostic or of no particular faith grew from 16 percent to nearly 23 percent. At the same time, Christians dropped from about 78 percent to just under 71 percent of the population.

why do you supposed that is? I say mass media now exposes the truth of "religion" I am a Christian, but not political- so find it hard to relate anymore. I say you are losing your kids with laws mandated but not really practiced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:26 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
Christianity has not changed in 2000 years. But, Christianity becomes more and less attractive to the world with the ebb and flow of secular humanism. For example, during a 410-year period described in the books of Kings, Israel swung back and forth between utter pagan idolatry and seeking God. Who can look at America's abandonment of Godly principles over the past several years and not see a brand of pagan idolatry? Consider how popular it has become in America to attack Christians (this forum is a good example). As Billy Graham said, "If God doesn't punish America, He will have to apologize to Sodom and Gomorrah."

At any given time, the number of true, committed Christians changes very little, but, the number of people claiming to be Christians varies widely. A big part of that is because human definitions of Christianity vary so widely (swinging all the way from generally believing in God, to attending church, to living in a "Christian nation"). True Christianity is believing, trusting, following Jesus Christ as one's Lord and Savior. One cannot do that by simply claiming to "love Jesus Christ", while ignoring His teachings.

God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow. He does not change, nor does His insight into the human heart ... and His standard of truth, righteousness and faith. God is not bound by polls, human opinion or liberal views that God is 'outdated, dead or irrelevant'.

It is almost a paradox that Christianity/Christians grow stronger, in the face of persecution and the falling away of those who are 'Christian' in name only. Today, Christianity may be stronger in China (where Christians are persecuted and imprisoned), ... than in America, where they are simply ridiculed. Many countries to whom America once sent missionaries, are now sending missionaries to America. They can see more objectively that America (generally speaking) is becoming the latter day church of Laodicea described in Revelation (as is the cure also described therein).

Last edited by jghorton; 05-12-2015 at 06:39 AM..

Old 05-12-2015, 06:50 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Jg,

I think you need to get out more. Christianity has changed enormously in the last 100 years, and so have ideas about the Christian God.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:15 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post

quote: Between 2007 and 2014, when Pew conducted two major surveys of U.S. religious life, Americans who described themselves as atheist, agnostic or of no particular faith grew from 16 percent to nearly 23 percent. At the same time, Christians dropped from about 78 percent to just under 71 percent of the population.

why do you supposed that is? I say mass media now exposes the truth of "religion" I am a Christian, but not political- so find it hard to relate anymore. I say you are losing your kids with laws mandated but not really practiced.
Well the Bible said many would abandon the faith in the last days. Oh yeah, it only said Israel would become a nation again towards the end times too.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:17 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:

Many cultural Christians quit calling themselves Christian. This happened in Europe and now it is happening here.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well the Bible said many would abandon the faith in the last days. Oh yeah, it only said Israel would become a nation again towards the end times too.
Israel will become a Palestinian suburb. The end times have been here for over a thousand years and will probably be here for another thousand years.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:

I believe most are leaving the institution of oppression and entering the spiritual aspect of worshiping God.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:27 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The "last days" have been going on for 2000 years. The bible says that all of the stars will fall from the sky on the last day. Clearly, the author of Revelation had no idea what a star was, and was totally ignorant about their distance from the earth. If your god wrote the book of Revelation, he would have flunked a 100 level astronomy course at your local community college.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:31 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
People are waking up to reality. They understand that a guide for living and understanding the world written thousands of years ago has few applications today.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:32 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
It really doesn't bother me all that much to see the cultural name-only Christians finally giving up the charade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity