Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:54 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
As a former Catholic I remember that non-Catholics were not allowed to take communion when they were visiting the church. Is this still true?

And also, from a non-Catholic perspective I was also told that it was not wise to take communion in that church because they believe it is the actual body and blood of Christ. Now mind you I was told this 20 years ago so I am not sure if any of this info is correct.
As a Baptist, I wouldn't want to partake in the Catholic mass, since my religion teaches the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,775,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
As a Baptist, I wouldn't want to partake in the Catholic mass, since my religion teaches the opposite.
Which is exactly why you shouldn't take the eucharist, if you are not catholic. Most won't understand what it is, and give it the respect it deserves.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:23 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,866,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I have attended hundreds of masses over the past two decades -- my wife is Catholic, but I'm not (yet). I have never taken Communion. On Easter, I had to go up to the priest (I usually don't) because it was crowded, so I dutifully crossed my arms to signal, "no Eucharist for me." My 16-year-old brother in law said I should just take it. I dropped my mouth in mock surprise and said, "I don't want to go to hell. Besides, I hear if you are a non Catholic and you swallow it, it burns your tongue out." Consequently, my wife's sister's fiancee (who's in the same boat as me .. a Protestant who goes to mass semi-regularly), just went ahead and took the wafer and swallowed. No one in the family was offended. We probably attend more masses than the average Catholic. I just choose not to take it out of respect for the Church. I plan on going through RCIA this year, so next Easter will be the first time I actually fully partcipate in the mass.
Interesting, I had never heard about this arm crossing thing till I started reading about it at online forums such as this one, some say the person gets a special blessing instead of Communion.

Learned today that no one that is not receiving Communion is suppose to be in the Communion line, communion line is for just one purpose. No extra blessing is suppose to be given out while the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.
This was in the Sunday bulletin at the church that I attended today. The article said everybody does get a blessing at the end of the Mass so no added graces are involved by getting a double blessing.

This has been a public service announcement

Old 05-03-2009, 10:07 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
As a former Catholic I remember that non-Catholics were not allowed to take communion when they were visiting the church. Is this still true?

And also, from a non-Catholic perspective I was also told that it was not wise to take communion in that church because they believe it is the actual body and blood of Christ. Now mind you I was told this 20 years ago so I am not sure if any of this info is correct.
Evidently it is still true, my son goes to a private catholic school we are Christians but not catholic, when they take communion non catholics are supposed to refrain from taking it!

Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM

2,136 posts, read 4,788,454 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3111 edit2.jpg
Views:	19532
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	41063

My beautiful angel's 1st Holy Communion.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Attachment 41063

My beautiful angel's 1st Holy Communion.
very nice

You should post it in a new thread so its not buried in this thread, your post deserves better

Old 05-04-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Interesting, I had never heard about this arm crossing thing till I started reading about it at online forums such as this one, some say the person gets a special blessing instead of Communion.

Learned today that no one that is not receiving Communion is suppose to be in the Communion line, communion line is for just one purpose. No extra blessing is suppose to be given out while the Blessed Sacrament is exposed.
This was in the Sunday bulletin at the church that I attended today. The article said everybody does get a blessing at the end of the Mass so no added graces are involved by getting a double blessing.

This has been a public service announcement
It seems from talking to those at several other forums this practice may be up to your local bishop

Old 05-05-2009, 12:40 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
It seems from talking to those at several other forums this practice may be up to your local bishop
you are correct--being in line with your arms crossed signals to the priest that you cannot receive but may get a blessing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity