Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 02:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Which is a BIG BUSINESS that operates just like the other businesses of this fallen world. They have a lot to lose if they are put out of business, so I'd say it's a very big financial threat, yes How else can the Pat Robertsons make millions?
I understand Pat makes MILLIONS from his blood diamond mines he operates in Africa. The fleecing of his "followers" is merely icing on the cake.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:57 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.1 Timothy 3-4.

Does God's desire not matter? If he desires all men to be saved then they will be, right?
How hard is it to believe that eveyone will eventually recognize what is right and good? Don't be deceived by the false dichotomy set up by those who believe in God's eternal revenge. Punishment or suffering consequences for bad choices is only rational and reasonable if there is a possibility of change, otherwise it is petty vengeance. Need I mention the kind of mentality that endorses this?

Old 05-29-2015, 05:58 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Whether it's good or bad is irrelevant. What matters is if it's true.

Also, if it isn't true, it will be very, very bad because there will be a lot of people who are very surprised and disappointed when they get to Heaven and Jesus says, 'Depart from me, I never knew you...
Right. I don't see how it can be good or bad for Christianity, but it is very bad for those who are deceived into believing that lie.

"But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!"

Old 05-29-2015, 06:04 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know we sin. My question is - does God desire people to sin? The answer would be NO.

You are using 1 Timothy 2 in error when linking God's desire to what will actually happen. Because if God got what He desires 100% of the time, no one would be sinning at all.

God hates divorce. Yet divorces have been taking place since the days of Moses.
True, God will not force us to worship Him, and as a result many have died rejecting Him. To claim everyone comes to Him, it simply not true.

Did Jesus get his desire here (below)? No, He desired for them to come to Him, but he admits they were not willing.

" how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing."

Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Is Universalism a threat to Christianity? Christian Universalism states that Jesus/God accomplished the goal of saving all humans from their sin. IOW all people (in the universe) are reconciled with their creator regardless of belief. So God says you are saved so you have no choice but to be saved (simplified version). Isn't that a good thing?
You are speaking loosely to the notion of "hope". The reason I sit tight on the claim that religion does more good than harm is "hope". What does more mean? All I will say is more than 52 and much more the 42. we have to be able to properly weight human suffering to make any reasonable guess. Over organized, or too big, is another topic.

Atheist have nothing but "enjoy" for the sake of enjoying. I like that And it works for me. But most people that are too busy in life to learn past what they are living. "false" hope brings real strenght. The cold hard facts may bring dismay.

The next area that gets "fuzzy" is abuse. we can't base anti-religion on people that break the law. Thats silly. handle the people that break the law.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:22 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,381,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
Whether it's good or bad is irrelevant. What matters is if it's true.

Also, if it isn't true, it will be very, very bad because there will be a lot of people who are very surprised and disappointed when they get to Heaven and Jesus says, 'Depart from me, I never knew you...'

I do not believe it is true for the simple fact that there is no Scriptural evidence for such a doctrine. That being said, this issue will be descended upon by the swarm of UR fanatics that infest this forum.

Prepare yourself, they are coming...
Jesus Christ is the saviour of ALL MEN, especially those that believe, this command and teach.

You are told right there what we are commanded to teach, yet do not believe it.

which then tells us the hell fire and brimstone teacher are teaching that which is contrary to scripture, or as we are told in scripture ANOTHER GOSPEL.

You simply cannot get around it JJ, you simply do not believe that scripture is true, so continue to teach another gospel.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
" how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, and you were not willing."
Good reference towards the point I made.

Another example of God not necessarily getting what He desires.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:28 AM

125 posts, read 91,709 times
Quote:
Oh I so agree... I once made the argument that if someone paid my power bill that I am unable to refuse. It is the same concept. I cannot call the power company and tell them to give back the money paid against my bill. It is a done deal. If God wants to make my sins forgiven... I have no choice but to accept that. AND it is clearly shown in scripture (for all the Fundamentalist Christians) that God's will MUST be done and that God wills ALL to be saved from sin.

But again.... it IS a threat to current "If you do not choose" Christianity.
Your analogy as pertains to Salvation would be different. It would be like some guy (Tom) said your power bill was paid by someone else (Joe) who really cares about you. So you take him at his word and you don't send in payment. A month later your power goes out. You call the power company and tell them that Joe paid your bill. They tell you they never received that payment. You can argue all day long but until you pay the bill your power is not coming back on.

Quote:
Matthew 22
The Parable of the Wedding Banquet

22 Jesus spoke to them again in parables, saying: 2 “The kingdom of heaven is like a king who prepared a wedding banquet for his son. 3 He sent his servants to those who had been invited to the banquet to tell them to come, but they refused to come.
4 “Then he sent some more servants and said, ‘Tell those who have been invited that I have prepared my dinner: My oxen and fattened cattle have been butchered, and everything is ready. Come to the wedding banquet.’
5 “But they paid no attention and went off—one to his field, another to his business. 6 The rest seized his servants, mistreated them and killed them. 7 The king was enraged. He sent his army and destroyed those murderers and burned their city.
8 “Then he said to his servants, ‘The wedding banquet is ready, but those I invited did not deserve to come. 9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’ 10 So the servants went out into the streets and gathered all the people they could find, the bad as well as the good, and the wedding hall was filled with guests.
11 “But when the king came in to see the guests, he noticed a man there who was not wearing wedding clothes. 12 He asked, ‘How did you get in here without wedding clothes, friend?’ The man was speechless.
13 “Then the king told the attendants, ‘Tie him hand and foot, and throw him outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’
14 “For many are invited, but few are chosen.”
Jesus is referring to His shed blood as the wedding clothes. Of course there is a choice to be made. God is Love. Without free will there cannot be love.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:41 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
Jesus Christ is the saviour of ALL MEN, especially those that believe, this command and teach.

You are told right there what we are commanded to teach, yet do not believe it.
His death applies to all men. The work is finished. No more deaths are needed with regards to sin. However, His death does not automatically grant salvation to everyone. If that was the case, there would no need for a gospel message to be spread, because everyone would have salvation already.

There is special mention of those that believe. That indicates that there is a difference between those who believe and those who don't.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,926,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I know we sin. My question is - does God desire people to sin? The answer would be NO.

You are using 1 Timothy 2 in error when linking God's desire to what will actually happen. Because if God got what He desires 100% of the time, no one would be sinning at all.

God hates divorce. Yet divorces have been taking place since the days of Moses.
But He did not say He would take action to stop divorce. He did not say He would stop sin. But He did say He would take action to save all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity