Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 PM

260 posts, read 230,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
To be a self-proclaimed 'enemy number one to the Christian'(that still just cracks me up), it appears you're unfamiliar with the book of Hebrews.

These arguments just keep getting weaker and weaker.

For anyone having an issue with the scenario in the post above, just a cursory reading of Hebrews should suffice.

<This posted for the benefit of those reading and not posting instead of those posting and not reading>
I never said I was. Apostates are labeled as enemies of the Christian faith, the foremost enemies. They gave the label. Not those who turned their backs on the Christian myth

Why do you do this, by the way? You drop a comment here and there but you never present a defense or any kind. What about the book of Hebrews that excuses what was done in the Old Testament?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
I never said I was. Apostates are labeled as enemies of the Christian faith, the foremost enemies. They gave the label. Not those who turned their backs on the Christian myth

Why do you do this, by the way? You drop a comment here and there but you never present a defense or any kind. What about the book of Hebrews that excuses what was done in the Old Testament?
I've defended every comment. The fact you deny that proves you're not reading what I post...but that's cool....I'm not offended by you at all.

What about the book of Hebrews, you ask?....man, where to start.....first, I'd advise a true seeker to read the whole thing....but for you....let's see....

I guess if you only want to read excerpts, start with Chapter 7 with an emphasis on and around 11, 18, 19?...somewhere near the middle.....(and what do you mean 'excuses', I don't understand that)

Old 01-22-2008, 04:51 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentyFourSeven View Post
Cg81, I think we pointed out already that the Book of Revelation concerned itself with 'things that will shortly come to pass.' You CAN'T beat around that any other way UNLESS you resort to verbal gymnastics ("One days is a thousand, etc").

Next, there is NO prophecy in the Bible that prophesies Jesus' birth in Bethlehem. Mich 5 is easily disqualified by the time you get to verse 5 of the chapter, but who reads that far?
I thought revelations was written about during the time of NERO.

Old 01-22-2008, 04:54 PM

485 posts, read 561,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibainu View Post
I thought revelations was written about during the time of NERO.
No. Nero was about 25 years before Revelation (no "s"). Revelation, originally "The Apocalypse of John" was written about 90 ad, probably in Ephesus, a City of 250,000 then (in present day Turkey) where the Temple of Artemis, one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World was located.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father John View Post
My opinion, of course, will simply set people of a different mind set off the deep end. What purpose does it serve? He is who I believe him to be. What matters is how he and God speak in my heart and what they say I should share with the world.

It is not a simple answer, but Jesus is not the Jesus that Saul invented. That may be shocking to some, but it is simply true. He is the Jesus of whom his brother, James, wrote (although the Epistle of James we have today is not likely by the same person without substantive revision at later dates). But we can glean some of what the brother of Jesus said from Acts and from Josephus. And it is clear that the Jesus of whom they spoke was not the sacrificial lamb who brings salvation by his death that Paul created.

Created? Yes, Paul never met Jesus, but he was raised in Tarsus where Mithraism was a strong religious practice - where being washed in the blood of the god brought salvation.

Finding the real Jesus is quite a challenge because he is in the gospels, but the gospels are also heavily tainted with the Pauline religion. Gleaning the true Jesus takes work.

Jesus is also found in the Nag Hammadi texts, particularly the Gospel of Thomas which predates any of the other gospels, including Mark (the earliest canonical gospel). And Mark - the earliest gospel in our Bible today, was initially anonymous (the name Mark added at a later date) and it originally ended with Jesus laid in the tomb and the tomb found empty - no resurrection stories whatsoever.

And so, you see, Jesus the Christ is a more difficult figure than the mixed mythologies approved in the 4th century (when your Bible was finalized) may paint. I urge people to dig deeper. Then you tell me who Jesus was and is and will be. I already know the orthodox ideas.
Do not forget how bad John and luke are for describing the truth. Luke has a lot with Paul.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Do not forget how bad John and luke are for describing the truth. Luke has a lot with Paul.
??

Luke's story of Paul differs from what Pauls says about himself in numerous places. It is a great example of how Luke could not get Paul right, but somehow people believe he got Jesus right.

And John - well John was almost not included in the Bible! The fourth gospel was almost Thomas... And the Apocalypse of Peter was almost included, too.

The study of such things is fantastic - everyone should do it!

Old 01-22-2008, 05:35 PM

260 posts, read 230,753 times
Quote:
??

Luke's story of Paul differs from what Pauls says about himself in numerous places. It is a great example of how Luke could not get Paul right, but somehow people believe he got Jesus right.

And John - well John was almost not included in the Bible! The fourth gospel was almost Thomas... And the Apocalypse of Peter was almost included, too.

And the Book of Jude was one time not included, the book of Daniel has 12 or 14 chapters depending on whether you are Catholic or not, the Ethiopian canon includes the Book of Enoch but not the Protestant or Catholic Bibles and the Catholic Bible includes the Book of Maccabees which other canons do not include. Was the spirit confused?

Old 01-22-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
??

I thought Luke, Paul, and Barnabas believed they were apostles of Jesus. Paul and luke disagreed with Jesus brother James about how the first Christian should follow jesus.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Paul and luke disagreed with Jesus brother James about how the first Christian should follow jesus.
Yes, and who would YOU believe? The brother of Jesus or a man who never met him (Paul)?

Inquiring minds... and all that.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Yes, and who would YOU believe? The brother of Jesus or a man who never met him (Paul)?

Inquiring minds... and all that.
I find it very interesting that only Paul's cannon uses first person. He love that word "I" a lot. He only uses it about 1400 times. Most Christian do not understand that Paul wanted to be important and Jesus brother James did not agree with him at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity