Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:32 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Let me add something to this. In Christian/Bible speak, this would be along the lines of preparing the soil/heart to receive the seed/Word. If a Christian organization helped you out when you were in need, maybe it's one of the things, over time, that cultivates a desire to at some point in the future be curious about who Christ really is; to ask some Christian to share about their faith, or listen to Handel's Messiah, or pick up a book (the bible or some other book written by a Christian) and read it, or watch a Christian program or go to a Christian function or a church. As Paul said, some plant seeds, some water, but God causes it to grow.
I would note that any increase in demonstration of love in the world is a good end in itself. If someone experiences that love in the context of a Christian organization that's great, but not necessary, however well such a community may support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 10:34 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the point I was making with my example was that they were NOT a parachurch organization and I did not approve of their method. Did you miss that?
Comparing and contrasting the efforts of parachurch organizations who do not indulge in those tactics, to some church-supervised programs which do: With a parachurch organization, you know you don't run the risk of being force-fed a sermon when you aren't ready to hear one, but you do with a church-supervised one. So, that's why people support parachurch organizations.

That's what I understand the relevance to be.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:37 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
I would note that any increase in demonstration of love in the world is a good end in itself. If someone experiences that love in the context of a Christian organization that's great, but not necessary, however well such a community may support it.

Yeah, good catch Nate. I actually thought about going back in and editing that post because I realized I was writing it purely from my old Christian/churched mindset. Funny how easy it is for me to slip back into that! I decided against editing it, but I'm really glad you decided to make that point.

Old 06-12-2015, 10:38 AM

"That's what I understand the relevance to be."

Is there a smiley that is presenting a gold star?

Old 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Of course not, but requiring listening to a sermon before you get your soup is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
That's not what I said needs to happen. I didn't say, hey you force the message on them. There isn't a formula for preaching the gospel. A lot of times with unbelievers, conversations come up organically. They ask questions, so naturally you answer. It's not a trivial as you make it, but you agree that it can be talked about so, that pretty much is all I needed you to say.
Quote:
And the point to be made is that the charities that I have seen that required an opportunity to preach at the recipients were all church supervised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I knew a person once that qualified for the charity food basket at Christmas time. She was gone for several hours when she went to pick it up. When we asked, she said they had to wait until the service was over for the basket distribution. (It was at a church based mission.) They were not told in advance that they had to sit through a service to get the food.
The Christians who THINK that what they intellectually accept ABOUT Christ is the most important part of being Christian simply will NOT get it. The most important part of being Christian is what Christ instructed His disciples to DO . . . love God and each other every day and repent when you don't. That means that the Gospel (Good News) is spread by our "fruits" done in agape love . . . not our claims.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:52 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
And the point I was making with my example was that they were NOT a parachurch organization and I did not approve of their method. Did you miss that?
The topic is about parachurches, not what nateswift thinks about church organizations.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
The topic is about parachurches, not what nateswift thinks about church organizations.
You opened that topic up by saying what your church thinks of parachurch organizations: "My church is against supporting such organizations as the church believes these type of organizations should fall under the covering of a church,"

The appropriate response is about how wrong your church is. That's the nature of discussion. Hang around, you will learn.....possibly.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:48 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,983,093 times
Quote:
You opened that topic up by saying what your church thinks of parachurch organizations: "My church is against supporting such organizations as the church believes these type of organizations should fall under the covering of a church,"

The appropriate response is about how wrong your church is. That's the nature of discussion. Hang around, you will learn.....possibly.
From you? Moving on...

Old 06-13-2015, 03:11 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
I support any and ALL organizations, groups and agencies that provide services, food, clothes, shelter, employment, dignity, respect unto the least of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity