U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:10 AM

10,136 posts, read 11,213,404 times

Advertisements

My church is against supporting such organizations as the church believes these type of organizations should fall under the covering of a church, but my question is what does your church do or what do you believe personally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 10:23 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,782,672 times
Nothing wrong with them. I never heard of a church that was against them.

Old 06-06-2015, 01:05 PM

124 posts, read 68,863 times
personally, I believe that organizations like that leave something sorely wanting. We've probably all heard the old saying "It takes a village to raise a child", I would add that it takes a village to raise a Christian, the problem with these kinds of groups is that they leave the people they bring into the faith without the direction, guidance, leadership, and spiritual nourishment that comes from strong church family. The Apostles never did this, they went out and planted churches and brought many into the faith all over the Mediterranean but then they came back to visit, they wrote letters to guide and support them, they took responsibility for the children that they fathered in the faith.

Without that, I believe, is where some of the wackier churches, those that are either fundamentalist or far too "of the world" can come in, because what you have once the Parachurch ministry makes themselves scarce is individuals or groups of brand new Christians, babies in the faith if you will, being left to fend for themselves.

If you ask me this is dangerous to be honest with you

Old 06-06-2015, 05:48 PM

5,577 posts, read 4,782,672 times
There is no reason they can't find a church, if that's what they want, or grow in the faith on their own. I don't feel anyone really needs that strong church family. Starts to sound like a cult when you have their guidance, their leadership, their direction.

The Apostles were from a different time. There are other avenues available today. Christianity is no longer new.

I don't think people need to be guided every step of the way. Love God. Love others. Not so much anything else.

Old 06-06-2015, 06:01 PM

2,065 posts, read 4,161,028 times
Define para-church organisations. Would that be the Red cross or Salvation Army?

Old 06-06-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Define para-church organisations. Would that be the Red cross or Salvation Army?
No, think more campus crusade for Christ.

@Thinkalot I have witnessed with my own eyes what can happen without a church family, that's not to say that one needs a specific building or organization, but a group of believers, who are committed, who support each other, and have at least one among them who knows their way around the bible and church history is of paramount importance. If you don't have that, while their maybe some growth it would take a miracle for them to reach their full potential. Or they could wither and fall away, or go completely off the rails, like Jehovah's Witness, Westboro Baptist off the rails.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:02 AM

121 posts, read 58,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
There is no reason they can't find a church, if that's what they want, or grow in the faith on their own. I don't feel anyone really needs that strong church family. Starts to sound like a cult when you have their guidance, their leadership, their direction.

The Apostles were from a different time. There are other avenues available today. Christianity is no longer new.

I don't think people need to be guided every step of the way. Love God. Love others. Not so much anything else.
People needed guidance and still need guidance- not to treat us about Christ but to aid and help us in our walk with Christ. This is what Saint Paul was talking about when he wrote 1 Corinthians 4:15
For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers: for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:46 PM

10,270 posts, read 10,379,895 times
There's a list here:

List of parachurch organizations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2015, 12:23 PM

20,554 posts, read 22,715,248 times
There are others who are not of this fold who do the Father's work..

Thy that care for the least of us are carrying out the second greatest commandment---LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, and in doing so exemplify the GREATEST COMMANDMENT--LOVE GOD...

Old 06-08-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
There are others who are not of this fold who do the Father's work..

Thy that care for the least of us are carrying out the second greatest commandment---LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR, and in doing so exemplify the GREATEST COMMANDMENT--LOVE GOD...
I completely agree with you on that, that doesn't change the fact that there are things about a church that are of great benefit to the faithful that a para church ministry simply isn't capable of.

The largest mass conversion the United States has ever seen come into my own church, the Orthodox Church happened in 1987 after groups of Christians who had been converted by CampusCrusade for Christ, along with 7 leaders who like the original apostles went back to check on the groups of people they had converted, and who had since left the organization were all like "well...what do we do now? How do we worship? What does it mean to be the church? What the heck are we supposed to be doing?"

spoiler alert: they came to the conclusion that they needed community, they needed organization, and leadership, and support from each other and all of those things that a parachurch simply doesn't provide for establish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or