Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2008, 07:32 AM

2,984 posts, read 3,347,153 times

Advertisements

Gevenna

The Lord Jesus Christ speaks of gevenna in 11 passages of Scripture: seven in St. Matthew, 3 in St. Mark, and 1 in St. Luke.

The Apostle St. James speaks of gevenna in one passage of Scripture (relating to the tonque).

Those who make no mention of gehenna=

The apostle St. Paul in 13 epistles.

St. John (the one who leaned on the Masters breast) neither in the Revelation, or his Gospel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 07:33 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
It's NOT IN THAT TEXT. What part don't you get?

DO YOU SPEAK GREEK?

Yes____

No____

I have this feeling you are using lexicons, commentaries and "concordances" to pass for knowing Greek.

Ahem...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Paul surely spoke of the "hell experience"

A quickie:
Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
The word for death is thanatos:
Thanatos:
1) the death of the body

a) that separation (whether natural or violent) of the soul and the body by which the life on earth is ended

b) with the implied idea of future misery in hell

1) the power of death

c) since the nether world, the abode of the dead, was conceived as being very dark, it is equivalent to the region of thickest darkness i.e. figuratively, a region enveloped in the darkness of ignorance and sin

2) metaph., the loss of that life which alone is worthy of the name,

a) the misery of the soul arising from sin, which begins on earth but lasts and increases after the death of the body in hell

3) the miserable state of the wicked dead in hell

4) in the widest sense, death comprising all the miseries arising from sin, as well physical death as the loss of a life consecrated to God and blessed in him on earth, to be followed by wretchedness in hell
So was Paul talking about earthly "death" and that's it? "Sin" can certainly cause such a thing...but not always. Considering the context was salvation and forgiveness of sin in Christ, perhaps he was speaking about "the death to come".

Old 02-18-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Thanks Birdy.

Are there any scriptures that speak of anything ever coming out of these places?
Nope! Nor is there any indication that anything comes out of the Lake of Theos Pur, nor our God who is consuming pur.

Quote:
For instance, Gehenna, the trash dump, was a place of disposal. I can't imagine something being put into Gehenna for whatever reason and then ever coming out.
Nor can I!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:40 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy_56 View Post
Nope! Nor is there any indication that anything comes out of the Lake of Theos Pur, nor our God who is consuming pur.

Nor can I!
OK. Glad we can agree on that-- That whatever was cast into Gehenna would have been cast in there forever.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
perhaps he was speaking about "the death to come".
Would that be "everlasting death" J.V.?

Search= "Everlasting death"

Quote:
Your search query for 'everlasting death' has yielded no results. Please modify your search query and try again.

I wonder why there is no everlasting death? Could it be because death and hell are consummated in the Lake of Theos Pur? Perhaps there shall continue to be considerable curse upon nearly everything.

Quote:
And the leaves of the Tree of Life are for the healing of the nations. And there shall no longer be a curse upon anything.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:46 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,005,097 times
Quote:
Would that be "everlasting death" J.V.?

Search= "Everlasting death"

I wonder why there is no everlasting death? Could it be because death and hell are consummated in the Lake of Theos Pur? Perhaps there shall continue to be considerable curse upon nearly everything.

Straw man...I never said ever lasting death you did and just built your "arguement" on something I never said.

Third time:
DO YOU SPEAK GREEK?

Yes____

No____

I have this feeling you are using lexicons, commentaries and "concordances" to pass for knowing Greek.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:52 AM

Quote:
OK. Glad we can agree on that-- That whatever was cast into Gehenna would have been cast in there forever.
Tell me it ain't so: you and I agreeing on anything?

Would you like to read what the Jew's (the guys who read write and speak Hebrew) say about gehenna?

The Jewish Encyclopedia

HERE

Gehenna By The Guys Who Read, Write, and Speak Hebrew

HERE

What is to be learned from the guys who read and write Hebrew (The Jewish Encyclopedia: Gehenna)?

Old 02-18-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Straw man...I never said ever lasting death you did and just built your "arguement" on something I never said.

Third time:
DO YOU SPEAK GREEK?
Yes____
No____
I have zero knowledge of Greek, Hebrew and very little English & French. I did however have a Greek girlfriend, and we watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding together. Does that count?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:01 AM

7,784 posts, read 14,886,977 times
Quote:
Tell me it ain't so: you and I agreeing on anything?

Would you like to read what the Jew's (the guys who read write and speak Hebrew) say about gehenna?

The Jewish Encyclopedia

HERE

Gehenna By The Guys Who Read, Write, and Speak Hebrew

HERE

What is to be learned from the guys who read and write Hebrew (The Jewish Encyclopedia: Gehenna)?
Well, I'll read your links when I have a chance and while I understand that the Jews were the guys who read, write and speak Hebrew, I also understand the New Testament isn't written in Hebrew, so I'm a bit confused on the point.

But I will read your links, I promise.

The question I asked came up during my time in study Saturday evening and I was reading/looking at some text on Hell for a lesson I was teaching Sunday morning. I was reading and studying and the 'thought' came to mind "Gehenna, garbage dump, Lake of Fire or whatever--what goes in, stays in'

I felt like I was 'supposed' to share that here and I think it's ironic it's one of the only things you and I have ever agreed on. What I struggle with is how you can make that concession and then say Hell isn't forever. If the terms used to describe the place (hell) were 'once and done' then how can you not equally apply that to Hell?

But all in all it's a good day when you and I can agree

Old 02-18-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Well, I'll read your links when I have a chance and while I understand that the Jews were the guys who read, write and speak Hebrew, I also understand the New Testament isn't written in Hebrew, so I'm a bit confused on the point.

But I will read your links, I promise.
Take your time. There will be a question and answer period following.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity