Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,212,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstborn888 View Post
Paul said the end of the ages came upon him. The end of the old system/old order. That is done - over.

The resurrection is the resurrection of mankind from spiritual darkness (ie: lack of love/empathy for fellow humans). That's what all this is about - not the religious fantasies written about here.

I could say "it's time to wake up people!" or some other alarmist phrase but instead I will just hope for the best for all of you.
I am in 100% agreement with you.

Perhaps, one day, people will understand and truly live the spiritual message Jesus tried to impart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,374,933 times
Quote:
Paul said the end of the ages came upon him. The end of the old system/old order. That is done - over.

The resurrection is the resurrection of mankind from spiritual darkness (ie: lack of love/empathy for fellow humans). That's what all this is about - not the religious fantasies written about here.

I could say "it's time to wake up people!" or some other alarmist phrase but instead I will just hope for the best for all of you.
I will disagree with you. What happened with the fulfillment of the mission of Jesus Christ was the end of the old Mosaic "tooth for a tooth" covenant that God had made with the Jews and the beginning of the higher "turn the other cheek" and love everyone behavior that the Lord taught, and from then on expected all of his faithful followers to live.

There is nothing other than LITERAL about the resurrection of Jesus Christ! He died, his physical body was entombed, his spirit went to preach to the spirits in the spirit world, then returned three days later, melded with his physical body, the two never again to be separated, and the very first resurrection to take place on this planet had occurred. He spent a lot of time and left hundreds, possibly thousands or even tens of thousands of witnesses in the old world and among his "other sheep" in the Americas to testify of that reality. And he appears in our time as a glorified exalted RESURRECTED being who will one day probably soon return in the event best known as the glorious "Second Coming".

THAT'S "what this is all about"!

Old 01-05-2010, 03:35 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,618,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justamere10 View Post
He spent a lot of time and left hundreds, possibly thousands or even tens of thousands of witnesses in the old world and among his "other sheep" in the Americas to testify of that reality. And he appears in our time as a glorified exalted RESURRECTED being who will one day probably soon return in the event best known as the glorious "Second Coming".

THAT'S "what this is all about"!
I have some precious Mormon friends. To me their value is not in the stories about special glasses, angels, ancient native American Jesus freaks etc. but in their souls - the part that loves others as themselves and so fulfill all the law and the prophets. That's the evidence of the resurrection.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I have some precious Mormon friends. To me their value is not in the stories about special glasses, angels, ancient native American Jesus freaks etc. but in their souls - the part that loves others as themselves and so fulfill all the law and the prophets. That's the evidence of the resurrection.
I appreciate your comment about many faithful Mormons living the 'love your neighbor as yourself' lifestyle teachings of Jesus Christ, as do faithful Christians of all denominations. But I'm uncertain about how you relate that to evidence of the resurrection. Is it because the resurrection of Jesus Christ is such a vital element of Christianity that seeing followers of Jesus walk the Christian walk demonstrates to you that resurrection was one of the major convincers that persuaded those followers to be so faithful? Or were you referring to something else?

----
Does a child have a choice not to grow up?

Some things are just part of our nature. Even though we should call upon the mountains to cover us up we will not cease to exist; and that is the pain of the damned, they know had they made right choices during their vital lifetime "second estate" they could have lived forever with God. Those who choose the right are not interested in hiding from God, they WANT to be in His presence.

Resurrection is a free gift from God, as is the nurturing milk a mother offers her child. We are all children of the same God.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I appreciate your comment about many faithful Mormons living the 'love your neighbor as yourself' lifestyle teachings of Jesus Christ, as do faithful Christians of all denominations. But I'm uncertain about how you relate that to evidence of the resurrection. Is it because the resurrection of Jesus Christ is such a vital element of Christianity that seeing followers of Jesus walk the Christian walk demonstrates to you that resurrection was one of the major convincers that persuaded those followers to be so faithful? Or were you referring to something else?
I believe that religion/creeds put an emphasis on bodily resurrection and preservation of self (of coursed disguised as love for God).

AISI the important emphasis is "Dead to Sin, Alive to God" - ie: "just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life".

So while religion clings to symbols and myths the real and vital point is agape love in action.

Again, AISI.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I believe that religion/creeds put an emphasis on bodily resurrection and preservation of self (of coursed disguised as love for God).

AISI the important emphasis is "Dead to Sin, Alive to God" - ie: "just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life".

So while religion clings to symbols and myths the real and vital point is agape love in action.

Again, AISI.
Yes, I think all Christians accept that Christ taught we should love one another and probably most try to do just that. But do you not believe in the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ and that all of us will eventually be resurrected as well? (Meaning physical body and spirit body melded into one body of flesh and bone never again to be separated.)

Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Yes, I think all Christians accept that Christ taught we should love one another and probably most try to do just that.
No no no no no no!!!! (oooops - overreaction ) The love coming from you IS Christ coming alive from the dead! No "trying", that's not "what it's all about".

Quote:
But do you not believe in the literal resurrection of Jesus Christ and that all of us will eventually be resurrected as well? (Meaning physical body and spirit body melded into one body of flesh and bone never again to be separated.)
Physical is not ultimate reality. The religious obsession with dead bodies is.. mmm, morbid? Unfounded?

Upon your last breath you will be raptured! Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-07-2010 at 07:29 PM.. Reason: the statement will surely take this thread off topic

Old 01-07-2010, 01:50 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
Do you believe in the RAPTURE and that this is the END TIMES?
Yes, I do. The Rapture could happen at any time and here are a few reasons why I think we are in the "end times":

These are things that have happened just in the last 100 years, a time like no other in history:

Increase in Knowledge (cars, internet, planes, ipods, cell phones, etc. etc.)
The birth of nuclear warfare
The rebirth of Israel
Signs of the scoffer (there has never been a time like now when Christianity has been scoffed at and ridiculed)
Gathering of Russian Jews into Israel
When Jerusalem was no longer under the rule of Gentiles (1967)
Invention of international television (this is how the two witnesses will be seen by all simultaneously)

There are of course other "signs" but these are just a few BIG ones that really smack you in the face.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
Increase in Knowledge (cars, internet, planes, ipods, cell phones, etc. etc.)
This reminded me of my Grandmother (1908 - 2000) telling me how she rode in horse drawn buggies as a child then lived to see men landing on the moon in '69. (and then she lived almost a whole 'nother generation after that!)

Simply amazing

Old 01-07-2010, 03:08 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Quote:
This reminded me of my Grandmother (1908 - 2000) telling me how she rode in horse drawn buggies as a child then lived to see men landing on the moon in '69. (and then she lived almost a whole 'nother generation after that!)

Simply amazing
That IS amazing!! I think the stories the elderly tell are fascinating and I love to listen to them. My great-grandmother lived to be 93 and she was a trip....telling stories while dipping and spitting her "snuff".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity