Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:38 PM

134 posts, read 506,436 times

Advertisements

Tell me what you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 01:42 PM

485 posts, read 556,145 times
No. Such ideas have no place in reality but are spiritual metaphors.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:48 PM

Talking Wow!

WOW! Funny, they said the same thing about the first 4 books in the old testiment and funny how they are proving through history and archiological findings that most of the places and events did occur. But I guess if you don't believe in the RAPTURE, you are guarenteed not to go.

But thanks for your thoughts.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:56 PM

3,434 posts, read 9,725,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
Tell me what you think?
yes to both questions, too much of bible prophecy is being fulfilled or is starting to be fulfilled for it not to be.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
WOW! Funny, they said the same thing about the first 4 books in the old testiment and funny how they are proving through history and archiological findings that most of the places and events did occur. But I guess if you don't believe in the RAPTURE, you are guarenteed not to go.

That is simply false. The first four books are myths based on historical dramas passed down by word of mouth for centuries and inculcated with the myths and traditions of other peoples as they were encountered. But one who does not have the depth of study needed would not know that. Can you name at least 4 authors in Genesis? There are at least 4...

Arguing with those who worship mystery in place of fact is fruitless, however. May your faith bring you peace.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:19 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,293,264 times
Yes I believe in the rapture and the end times. The word rapture is not in the Bible, but it taught, the word rapture is drawn from the Latin term for caught up-rapturo. it means that the church of Jesus Christ, those who have trusted Jesus as their Savior will literally be transported from earth to Heaven in an instant. And I do not believe this has happened as some on here have suggested.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:34 PM

Smile Believe it or not!

I was bought up in a Catholic School that taught me those 4 books were myths but as I expanded beyond that theology, I found that not only there is supporting evidence that there was a place call Jericho and they discovered that the walls around it did fall based on archiological findings. Try watching the History channel , Decoding the past etc. Do an internet search. Try studying Jewish documented history.

They say that many will be decieved, I'm glad I expanded my studies beyond the Catholic School I went to because I would still be in deniel.

We all choose to believe and/or not believe what we want. I rather believe and there not be a rapture than to not believe and there be one. I rather believe that there will be a GREAT Tribulation and an END TIME and properly prepare than Not believe and go through unnecessary torture.

Sometime people chose not to believe because they need that in order to pacify any need for preparation. Sometimes they don't believe due to lack of knowledge. Sometimes, they don't believe because of tradition and teachings never challenged.

All I know is that I believe and respect if that don't!

Old 01-21-2008, 02:37 PM

I see. If it was on TV, it must be true...

FWIW, I have a Master of Divinity degree and 50 years studying scriptures, history, archeology, cultures, and things related to Biblical times. It doesn't make me right all the time, but it gives me more knowledge and, perhaps, better information than most people.

I watched some of the stuff on the "History" Channel and I find it amusing. They also produce shows that support alien invasions in UFOs and similar nonsense.

But we each believe what we want...

Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM

Default Textbook knowledge verses Supporting Evidence.

It's called modern technology. It's call a reference tool when it's researched and documented. Along with watching the documentary, try researching Jewish documented history and archiological findings. They live in the place that is just above the "MYTHS" of the bible. They are the ones that are digging and finding.

Your studies are great but as we all know those text books are not all upto date and there are lots of stuff that need to be updated. To exclude documented facts that support the bible because you have a "Degree" falls under the catagory of PRIDE. And we know what the bible says about that.

Having a degree doesn't garentee that you know everything, obviously. Since the bible doesn't say those books are myths and you choose to believe your text books then why not go a step further and use modern technology, research the jewish history and current documented findings to support the bible. If you like, I'll help with the research.

If you choose not to believe, it's OK but please don't make your belief FACT

Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 PM

55 posts, read 109,384 times
Quote:

Would you consider a belief in the Rapture to be essential to salvation? Your words imply it. Perhaps, I am just inferring this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity