Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:17 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I wonder why Jesus and the apostles never taught tithing?
Jesus did, Matthew 23:23.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 11:09 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Jesus as an Israelite citizen was under the Mosaic Law and would have been obligated to keep the Law.

In this instance he is exposing the religious Clergyman of the times who were long on Ceremony & Rituals of the Law , but short on obedience with regards to Justice, Mercy, & Faithfulness.

Here, let's take a look at an interesting read of both the verses 23 & 24 from an interesting modern day English translation. Notice any similiarities of modern day Clergyman in this reading ???
Matthew 23:23-24 - "The Message Bible"
Quote:
"You're hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees!
Frauds! You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every
nickle and dime you get, but on the meat of God's Law, things
like fairness and compassion and commitment - the absolute
basic! - you carelessly take it or leave it. Careful bookkeeping is
commendable, but the basics are required. Do you have any idea
how silly you look, writting a life's story that's wrong from the start to
finish, nitpicking over commas and semicolons?"
The interesting thing about Jesus and his Apostles and early Christian Congregation men who were intrusted with the Congregation's care, they all had secular employment. Jesus was a carpenter, Luke a physician, others fisherman, Paul even mended nets for some side money so as not to burden the brothers he visited.

Having said that, if someone belongs to a church organization who demands a tithe from you, then you are obligated to pay that tithe. If you don't like it, then leave. However, no one should be judged for not tithing as it is NOT a Christian requirement. It was for the Jews for whom the Levites benefitted from the tithe since it was agricultural products which were tithed in support of the Levitical Priesthood and Temple service and up keep. The Levities were the only tribe who did'nt have a land inheritance to support themselves as their brothers did. However, Christ ended all those things.

In modern day Christendom, tithing has been a means of enriching Church organizations and it's leadership. I don't need to provide examples of this, since you all already know who they are

Old 01-23-2009, 11:31 PM

51 posts, read 98,581 times
Wow, based on some of these replies Bill Gates must be the biggest tither there is. Or is it Warren Buffet now? Or maybe that shiek from Saudi Arabia? Forbes will come out with the "richest people in the world" list and then we can see who the biggest tither is as it changes year to year.

Be Free Please...

Old 01-23-2009, 11:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
the church used to earn its 10%. now it does not. when you marry the church loves you-- you are doing gods will. but when she files that divorce and goes for the big buck settlement the church does not know you. not their stuff. hey i didnt tell you to marry her.
i love the church but read the warantee restrictions apply limited liability.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:40 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzjamiedawn View Post
Very well said. When I was a faithful member, and married, my ex wasn't a Christian and didn't like giving the church any money. I talked with my elders about this, and although I gave a little, they told me basically what you said as well...that I also give to the church through my time, etc. That made me feel better.

When you all say "tithe" though, do you mean literally 10% like in the OT, or just as you prosper, with a cheerful heart, like in the NT?
Thanks for your kind words. 10% is a good place to start, and I know I am going to cause some further discussion when I say that we aren't LEGALLY required to give a tenth of our incomeS. But if you can afford to do so, and want to do it, then it's great. If you can't afford to give 10% of your income, then you give what you can, AS LONG AS IT IS DONE CHEERFULLY.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:37 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
I wonder why Jesus and the apostles never taught tithing?
That's a really good question! Tithing (giving 10% of your income) was part of the old covenant, the law, for the purpose of supporting the Levitical priesthood. (since the priests had no regular income) Tithing was replaced with GIVING under the new covenant, as taught throughout the book of Acts, and the Epistles. There is a wonderful freedom in giving, not found in the old covenant law of tithing. One was mandatory, legalistic, and 100% required by law. The other is voluntary and brings a deep satisfaction to the giver...AND a blessing from God.
It is very common to hear preachers today that say tithing is "required"...that you "hafta" do it, or else you are "stealing from God", etc, etc. (funny how so often those preachers are the same ones trying to raise money for a new glitzy church building)(so they can get even more people, and raise even more money) (also not taught in the NT: "church buildings") (I'm not saying church buildings are "wrong", because they aren't. But they aren't mandatory) If we have to tithe 10%, as they say, then what about the REST of the OT law? Why are they saying you have to keep the one ordnance (tithing) but totally ignore the rest? There were dozens of OT ordnances, practices, and observations, that were all required (under the old covenant). Funny how the only one they want to (selectively) keep today (and enforce over the flock) is the very one that puts cash in their bank accounts...
Nowhere did Jesus, or the Apostles, teach tithing as being part of the new covenant. Why not? Because...tithing was superceded by GIVING, when the new covenant came into existence. (after Christ's Ressurrection, He became our High priest, forevermore...no more Levitical priesthood that we have to tithe to...) There are numerous examples of giving by the apostles in the NT. How important was giving to them? All to often, they gave EVERYTHING they owned! ALL OF IT! 100%. They held nothing back. No saving "for retirement" in their plan...nothing mattered except the gospel of Christ. That should give us pause, then next time we put our "dollar" in the collection plate...
Giving is not to be taken lightly. If you make a "pledge" to give a certain amount to God, make very sure you do it! Why? Well, for starters, read about Anninias and Sapphira in Acts 5...
I have a feeling that God considers giving to be VERY important!
So...bottem line: is giving 10% of your income wrong? No...it is not! If you want to do that, then keep on doing that...it isn't wrong! (but you don't HAVE to!) Neither is giving 5%, or 15%, 25%. or whatever other amount you feel led of God to give...we aren't under the OT law anymore! There is a wonderful freedom (from the law) in Christ Jesus!! PTL!

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 01-24-2009 at 02:27 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,885,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Yes...that's right...but...
when Jesus said that, they were yet under THE OT LAW, not the new covenant...tithing was still required, by law, until the arrival of the new covenant. (which covenant we live under today) Jesus was 100% correct in telling them they ought to have tithed, since they were still living under the law of old covenant...

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 01-24-2009 at 02:08 AM..

Old 01-24-2009, 03:04 AM

381 posts, read 798,948 times
I just did a bunch of research myself becuase I was concerned about my own church's recent campaign. It said that by tithing, you could move "one step closer to God" it reeked with slick ad agency appeal. great selling point.

In Galatians, paul pretty much put this to rest in chapter 3 as well as in ephesians chapter 2. the handwriting requirements of that law was once and forever nailed to a tree.

ON THE OTHER HAND, i belive the gospel message of giving as put forth by our Lord and savior was perfectly taught by Him in mark 12:41.

The poor widow gave more He said. the rich had given their tithe out of their abundance.

As soon as some some mortal starts and tries to tell me that malachi is the catch all end all verse I get amused because you deny all of Paul's epistles and the teaching of the "one time substitutionary atonement for and the propitiation for our sins. I submit that not to tithe if it did matter would be a sin.

therefore by the blood i am released. I'm on the road and have located about 40 new testament verses in the gospel and the epistles that underscore. I'll post them soon.

Not only that, several scholars including Dr Elizabeth Achtimier , of union theological seminary have written commentaries and say, "there is no new testament teaching to support tithing." Look to the poor widow for a guide.

that said, when some mortal man tells you that 10% of gross is correct and you fall short at 10% of net, you just put on the legalistic robe and now you add to what christ did at the cross. the bible is clear in Luke.
In fact christ mocks the Pharisees not once but twice for tithing because seeing they do not see.

tithing is a money machine and for our church, it was a way to get the body to cough up the 2.5 million they overspent on the last builing project. I'm not against giving, tithing is heresy.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,398,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave737driver View Post
I just did a bunch of research myself becuase I was concerned about my own church's recent campaign. It said that by tithing, you could move "one step closer to God" it reeked with slick ad agency appeal. great selling point.

In Galatians, paul pretty much put this to rest in chapter 3 as well as in ephesians chapter 2. the handwriting requirements of that law was once and forever nailed to a tree.

ON THE OTHER HAND, i belive the gospel message of giving as put forth by our Lord and savior was perfectly taught by Him in mark 12:41.

The poor widow gave more He said. the rich had given their tithe out of their abundance.

As soon as some some mortal starts and tries to tell me that malachi is the catch all end all verse I get amused because you deny all of Paul's epistles and the teaching of the "one time substitutionary atonement for and the propitiation for our sins. I submit that not to tithe if it did matter would be a sin.

therefore by the blood i am released. I'm on the road and have located about 40 new testament verses in the gospel and the epistles that underscore. I'll post them soon.

Not only that, several scholars including Dr Elizabeth Achtimier , of union theological seminary have written commentaries and say, "there is no new testament teaching to support tithing." Look to the poor widow for a guide.

that said, when some mortal man tells you that 10% of gross is correct and you fall short at 10% of net, you just put on the legalistic robe and now you add to what christ did at the cross. the bible is clear in Luke.
In fact christ mocks the Pharisees not once but twice for tithing because seeing they do not see.

tithing is a money machine and for our church, it was a way to get the body to cough up the 2.5 million they overspent on the last builing project. I'm not against giving, tithing is heresy.
Little by little the exposure as to exactly what many Churches do with this money comes out. Of course there is the advertisement of charitable programs, but is anyone really aware of what is done with most of the money that comes through those church coffers ??? The obvious answer would seem to the church ministers, and I suppose it's true in several cases, but the majority goes into investment purposes to make more even money. How many actually know that many churches own large companies that produces products, large investment real estate holdings, mining operations , banking, etc ???

Like the lady of the evening riding the back of the scarlet coloured wild beast of revelation who suddenly turns on her and strips her naked and exposes her for what she really is in full public view before he devours her, so the truth of much about ALL religion is gradually getting exposed before the final fall. How this plays out will be interesting to say the least. It will be interesting what this world's governments do with the assets that are siezed. One thing is for sure, the secular part of our world is desparate for cash and assets right now.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:23 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Little by little the exposure as to exactly what many Churches do with this money comes out. Of course there is the advertisement of charitable programs, but is anyone really aware of what is done with most of the money that comes through those church coffers ??? The obvious answer would seem to the church ministers, and I suppose it's true in several cases, but the majority goes into investment purposes to make more even money. How many actually know that many churches own large companies that produces products, large investment real estate holdings, mining operations , banking, etc ???

Like the lady of the evening riding the back of the scarlet coloured wild beast of revelation who suddenly turns on her and strips her naked and exposes her for what she really is in full public view before he devours her, so the truth of much about ALL religion is gradually getting exposed before the final fall. How this plays out will be interesting to say the least. It will be interesting what this world's governments do with the assets that are siezed. One thing is for sure, the secular part of our world is desparate for cash and assets right now.

and one didn't even have to resort to atheism to see it come that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity