U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:21 PM

134 posts, read 362,192 times
Default Prosperity Message and Tithing!!!!

What do you believe in tithing? Do you believe God want you to prosper ( In all things not just $). Do you feel tithing produces results? Have any experience in this area? Any testimonies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 06:53 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,173,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
What do you believe in tithing? Do you believe God want you to prosper ( In all things not just $). Do you feel tithing produces results? Have any experience in this area? Any testimonies?

I believe it's a very good thing assuming your right doesn't know what the left hand is doing, and that there is no expectation of a reward whatsoever.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 PM

Why shouldn't a person expect reward? This baffles me when I know in the bible it says that if we tithe God will open the windows of heaven and pour out many blessings. It also says give and it shall be given to you. It says that by the measure you give, it shall be given to you. So why wouldn't a person expect a reward especially when God tells you to. God rewards us with eternal life if we accept Jesus as our lord and savior. Should we walk around not expecting to be rewarded with eternal life. I've never perceived God to be one sided, atleast not according to his word.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:22 PM

3,540 posts, read 4,173,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSCCS View Post
Why shouldn't a person expect reward? This baffles me when I know in the bible it says that if we tithe God will open the windows of heaven and pour out many blessings. It also says give and it shall be given to you. It says that by the measure you give, it shall be given to you. So why wouldn't a person expect a reward especially when God tells you to. God rewards us with eternal life if we accept Jesus as our lord and savior. Should we walk around not expecting to be rewarded with eternal life. I've never perceived God to be one sided, atleast not according to his word.
Yes, we can expect eternal life. But I thought you asking about tithing ( or giving ) money, time, prayer, talents, gifts etc.

It's just my experience that giving,is the "reward". May be different for others.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM

The key word is "reward". And I used the example of Salvation to show that God gives rewards even for that and how it coinside with the fact that God is not one sided. I never thought of God as one sided or selfish. He was shown over and over again he is a loving and giving God. As for Tithing, giving, money, time, God says in his word word that there are rewards. ex. Give and it shall be given to you etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't look for man to reward me but knowing my Great and Awesome God will bless me for being obedient to his word and that he keeps his word. i have plenty of testimonies to support this over and over again. As many times as it's happened that odd of it being a coincidence is 0 - none!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:37 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,513,942 times
Malachi 3:10 "Bring all the tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my temple. If you do, says the Lord Almighty, I will open the windows of Heaven for you. I will pour out a blessing so great you won't have enough room to take it it in, try it, let me prove it to you".
I took God up on this offer and and I did test Him and He proved faithful yet again. My life is over flowing with His blessings, and it's not money I'm talking about, it's peace, joy, contentment that obeying the Lord brings.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:43 PM

Praise God. I guess God is as big as you make him out to be. If you don't know his word and/or believe it the way he means it, honestly you won't receive it accordingly. That is why it works for some and not for others. Oh, thanks for the quote and bible verse.

I'll give a few testimonies in a little bit!

Old 01-21-2008, 07:48 PM

11,210 posts, read 8,750,396 times
Quote:
Hi, I don't believe that instructions are given to believers in the NT concerning tithing, but I believe that God does bless us as we give and even beyond that. God will take care of us and give us what we need. I think that for some a problem may develop if we only give to receive a reward. Would we be content in knowing that God may not bless us in the way that we expect? For example, he may bless us in other ways, building our character and developing the the fruits of the Spirit as we go through trials, hard times, ect. I think about Paul saying that he had learned to be content in whatever circumstances he was in. He knew how to get along with humble means and he knew how to live in prosperity. (Philippians 4) This to me seems to be one of our goals as a believer who trusts in God in all things. Thanks and God bless.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:00 PM

Awesome reply. You have a great point. When I give, I give knowing that God will reward me for being obedient to his word. I don't lable the reward because I walk knowing that all things are given to me because of him, I see even the air I breath daily, my health, my family, protection, guidance, etc. as reward. Thats where contentment comes in. My rewards have been from as little as a sense of peace in a tough situation, favor, and many times monitary. But God is only as big as I allow him to be in my life so I've learned to think big and must say since doing so, I've seen big things happen in my life.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 PM

11,210 posts, read 8,750,396 times
Hi HCSS, I understand what you are saying and thank you for sharing. God does reward us in many ways for being obedient. But I don't know, I just think that a danger may be that some of us may tend to only give for what we can get out of it if we don't move beyond that - just my opinion. We may give because we know that God will bless us but why not also give because it is the right thing to do? Just some thoughts. God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity