Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 02:37 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
That would be fine if we all lived in a monastery and didn't have to interact with the outside world. But the Church often gives direction on how to deal with issues of society. Popes often issue encyclicals that deal with social and political concerns. Rerum Novarum, Humanae Vitae, and Redemptor Hominis are examples.

Care for the environment is linked to care of our fellow man. And Francis puts it in the context of care for the poor, who are the ones that suffer the most from climate change.
Again, Jesus never founded the church to be political. I don't know how much plainer I can make it. I don't give a flying 1 1/2 flip what pope did what. All I know is that the church was not formed to be a political movement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spmaiorca View Post
While I am not an environmentalists- I do think your attitude shows a failure to understand the simple fact the gospel teaches us to be compassionate and to care for others. If we don't do this then we are hypocrites and our own souls will be lost. My question to the pope and other environmentalists is can they think of voluntary free market solutions to the problems?
The point is that Jesus never founded the church to force governments or non-Christians to comply with Christian ideology.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
???The Roman Catholic Church has been political for hundreds of years. The Pope used to be the most powerful world leader, mixing politics and religion is hardly the brainchild of the Pope. I'm glad he's speaking out. I'm not Catholic, but even I love this guy.
That does not prove they were correct in being so political for hundreds of years. Christ never founded the church to be a political machine. Sorry but I can only go by what our Lord has revealed.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:28 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
That does not prove they were correct in being so political for hundreds of years. Christ never founded the church to be a political machine. Sorry but I can only go by what our Lord has revealed.
Then there is FOCUS on the Family, Operation Rescue, Franklin Graham, etc.....

YES he did intend for he church to be political...

Old 06-22-2015, 03:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,075,915 times
Quote:
The point is that Jesus never founded the church to force governments or non-Christians to comply with Christian ideology.
TRUE, so why does the institutional church insist of writing christian sharia law?>

Old 06-22-2015, 05:39 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,267,885 times
Quote:
And being political they prayed for troops on both sides who then went and killed their Catholic Brothers. Not what Christ intended. Satan likes it.

Old 06-22-2015, 05:44 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,267,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Then there is FOCUS on the Family, Operation Rescue, Franklin Graham, etc.....

YES he did intend for he church to be political...
No, the leaders of those group make it so to their followers.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:30 PM

75 posts, read 51,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I was strapped/smacked by a few nuns right up to Grade 10.

I knew what the punishment would be for the deeds I chose to do.

And sometimes I got caught.

I never whimpered or cried foul. I held my hands out and recited what I had been taught since the 1st grade: "Thank you, Sister."

With every blow.
That made me laugh Dude! I had to deal with that crap from grade school to High school. When I got to collage I was asked, what was the Tattoo I had removed from the back of my hand, I told them, it was no tattoo, the nuns called me "can't get right"! To this day I can't stand the sight of a wooden ruler.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:36 PM

75 posts, read 51,013 times
you know talking about all this political crap, I seem to remember Jesus said his followers would be no part of the world. And didn't he run off when they tried to make him king?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:33 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,486,830 times
Quote:
Again, Jesus never founded the church to be political. I don't know how much plainer I can make it. I don't give a flying 1 1/2 flip what pope did what. All I know is that the church was not formed to be a political movement.
Seems to me Pope Francis is seeking to make environmental preservation a moral imperative, not a political movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity