Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 09:54 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,911,355 times

Advertisements

The Pope wants to save the planet?

I didn't know that Christianity was formed by Christ to go against the Roman government to clean up their world. Nor did I know Christian was formed by Christ to fight air pollution.

I think the Pope should stick with trying to save souls and leave saving the planet to the politicians.
Christ never formed the church to be political.

What do you think?

Am I heartless?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 10:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,112,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
The Pope wants to save the planet?

I didn't know that Christianity was formed by Christ to go against the Roman government to clean up their world. Nor did I know Christian was formed by Christ to fight air pollution.

I think the Pope should stick with trying to save souls and leave saving the planet to the politicians.
Christ never formed the church to be political.

What do you think?

Am I heartless?
And whats with all the christian sharia laws against equality, abortion, birth control..??

And having dominion over the earth means DESTROYING the land, water, and air?

Everything Christ did was political.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:11 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,064,980 times
Anyone who doesn't want to take care of the planet is an idiot.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,121,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And whats with all the christian sharia laws against equality, abortion, birth control..??
What laws would those be?

You mean the laws that say murder is wrong? Funny...but we keep getting told that our nation isn't Christian. Now you're saying those laws are "Christian sharia" laws?
Quote:

And having dominion over the earth means DESTROYING the land, water, and air?
I'm not aware of a single Christian that thinks that. But then, your argument wasn't actually intended to be logical and true, was it? You're trying to paint a strawman here.....

Believe it or not, it is POSSIBLE to disagree with what you view as good stewardship of the planet and still be a Christian.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:26 AM

I do not know a christian who does NOT think this way. Guess we run with completely different gods, huh?

It is laughable to say that Jesus wasn’t political.
Jesus confronted the very political structures and people who were twisting and using religion to step on those thought of as “the least of these.”
He confronted the politically powerful Sadducees and Pharisees at every turn, calling out their hypocrisy and distorted use of the Hebraic Law.
And, he then taught what the Law was really meant for: the expressing of Heaven on earth; a place where grace, love and justice were practiced. Not just any justice, the justice of love, of equality, of God.
If you want to follow Jesus, it decidedly means being political.
If you want to follow Jesus, it decidedly means advocating for the “least of these.”
If you want to follow Jesus, it decidedly means being willing to confront abusive power structures and people and being willing to flip a few tables in the process.
You simply can’t fully follow Jesus if you aren’t willing to be political and stick out your own neck, challenging the hypocritical power structures and leaders on behalf of the oppressed.

Reverend Mark Sandlin

Old 06-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I do not know a christian who does NOT think this way. Guess we run with completely different gods, huh?

It is laughable to say that Jesus wasn’t political.
Jesus confronted the very political structures and people who were twisting and using religion to step on those thought of as “the least of these.”
He confronted the politically powerful Sadducees and Pharisees at every turn, calling out their hypocrisy and distorted use of the Hebraic Law.
And, he then taught what the Law was really meant for: the expressing of Heaven on earth; a place where grace, love and justice were practiced. Not just any justice, the justice of love, of equality, of God.
If you want to follow Jesus, it decidedly means being political.
If you want to follow Jesus, it decidedly means advocating for the “least of these.”
If you want to follow Jesus, it decidedly means being willing to confront abusive power structures and people and being willing to flip a few tables in the process.
You simply can’t fully follow Jesus if you aren’t willing to be political and stick out your own neck, challenging the hypocritical power structures and leaders on behalf of the oppressed.

Reverend Mark Sandlin
Umm, Jesus confronted the religious leaders, not the Roman political system. He said if His kingdom were of this world then He would fight. Since it is not of the world He did not fight the Roman political system.

I don't want to follow Jesus. I want to follow the one Jesus commissioned as the apostle of the nations: Paul.

Moderator cut: Removing reference to carbon credits (since they don't exist).

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-18-2015 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: Trying to keep the politics out of the Reloigion forums.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,273,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And anyone who thinks that Moderator cut: removing politics the Pope has any stake in this beyond trying to perpetuate their own interests is a delusional twit of the same magnitude.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-18-2015 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: removing politics

Old 06-18-2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I think we should be good stewards of our planet and do all the little things necessary to reduce pollution.
If I am purchasing just one or two items at the store I refuse them to bag them.
When mowing the grass, if I see a bee on a flower I will stop and wait for it to fly on, sometimes nudging it along with the front of the mower.
I just got a high energy effecient furnace and air conditioner and fridge. My monthly electric bill went from over $80.00 per month down to $40.00. I use LED bulbs. I keep my car in top running condition.

But having a religious leader telling the world how to run their scientific affairs concerning global warming is just not the goal Christ had in mind in establishing a church.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
I think we should be good stewards of our planet and do all the little things necessary to reduce pollution.
If I am purchasing just one or two items at the store I refuse them to bag them.
When mowing the grass, if I see a bee on a flower I will stop and wait for it to fly on, sometimes nudging it along with the front of the mower.
I just got a high energy effecient furnace and air conditioner and fridge. My monthly electric bill went from over $80.00 per month down to $40.00. I use LED bulbs. I keep my car in top running condition.

But having a religious leader telling the world how to run their scientific affairs concerning global warming is just not the goal Christ had in mind in establishing a church.
Having religious leaders telling the world what is an what is not ethical and morally right is is FAR FROM the ministry Jesus carried out here in earth.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:19 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,294,595 times
It is not the first time that this Pope has made a statement addressing the world outside of his religion, he is not the first pope to do so and the RCC is certainly not the only religious organization to ever make statements concerning world affairs. Perhaps if some of the evangalicals did not use religion to oppose the scientists the Pope may not be as warranted to make this statement. You have a Senator who claims that the Bible proves that global warming is not occuring by using the flood story as the first example that popped into my head but I have heard sound clips from ministers who claimed that God would not allow global warming to harm us. The Pope should have as much right as anyone else to make a statement, especially when the issue affects every one of his followers.

But then I am a dillusional twit who believes that may people, religious or not, right or left wing, old or young, do many things because they beleive it is the right thing to do, not because there is a personal gain to be had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity