Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2015, 05:38 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,215,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
You are probably good with science. You are not with literature. Myth is not presented as fact, it is presented as allegory. Your fundamentalist background is showing.
Your lack of understanding what you are talking about is showing.

I am not a fundamentalist:

Here's why: Fundamentalists believe that the statements in the Bible are literally true. Note: Fundamentalists often argue against the theory of evolution.

The entire bible is a myth.

Here's why: Myth - a traditional or legendary story, usually concerning some being or hero or event, with or without a determinable basis of fact or a natural explanation, especially one that is concerned with deities or demigods and explains some practice, rite, or phenomenon of nature. Every myth presents itself as an authoritative, factual account, no matter how much the narrated events are at variance with natural law or ordinary experience.

Now lets look at what Creation Myth is: A creation myth is a symbolic narrative of how the world began and how people first came to inhabit it.

And this all sums up EXACTLY what the bible is...one big Myth based pushing Fundamentalism.

Last edited by Matadora; 07-13-2015 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2015, 07:19 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Again, here you are showing that you you don't know what you are talking about, and you can't even hold a proper conversation on the subject.
Now you are just being annoying. You are doing what the believers do with the different usage of the words. In science, FACTS are NOT facts as used in common parlance. In science, THEORY is not the same as theory used in common parlance. When you misuse them, you mislead.

In Science:

Fact: In science, an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as “true.” Truth in science, however, is never final and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.

Hypothesis: A tentative statement about the natural world leading to deductions that can be tested. If the deductions are verified, the hypothesis is provisionally corroborated. If the deductions are incorrect, the original hypothesis is proved false and must be abandoned or modified. Hypotheses can be used to build more complex inferences and explanations.

Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.

In Common Parlance:

Fact: a thing that is indisputably the case. Something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact. A truth known by actual experience or observation; "the real problem facing them is the fact that their funds are being cut"

Theory: possible explanation, akin to a hypothesis in science, i.e., may or may not be true.
Quote:
Observable evolution is not about a species change. It's about an adaptation occurring that helps a species survive.
Preposterous. The explanation for the existence of diverse species (speciation) is the essential feature of evolution theory! It is the only way to get from a single celled life to the multi-celled diversity we have today. Stop being a pompous . . . er . . person.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,010,173 times
Religion - nothing to do with the possible existence of a hierarchy of intelligences (call it/them god if you like) is nothing but - only too human - nonsense.

Old 07-13-2015, 07:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
He just confused you with a fundy, Jer!
You mean, She confuses me with the religious zealot's.

The conclusion may be logical, but it is untrue:
"ALL people with long hair are not hippies."
If the premise of anything is false, any and all conclusions will also be false, or biased.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:15 PM

63,470 posts, read 39,739,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If the premise of anything is false, any and all conclusions will also be false, or biased.
Ah, my bad. I failed to check her profile. That explains much. She believes we are Bible believing fundamentalists who deny evolution, preach hellfire and persecute homosexuals in ignorance. We are NOT, Matadora. But that explains much of your animosity. Can't allow any doubt or holes in science for those fundies to hide their God. That does make intelligent discussion difficult, though.

Old 07-13-2015, 08:51 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
Quote:
Your lack of understanding what you are talking about is showing.

I am not a fundamentalist:
I didn't say you were a fundamentalist, I said your fundamentalist background was showing. And I mightr add the characteristic mindset. How long ago did you realize that it was a load?

Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,494,836 times
Quote:
You are making zero sense once again.

You need to be more specific and write more clearly. Nothing written here is understandable logic or proper use of the English language.

Why do you pretend to understand science when you clearly don't?

yeah, yeah, more ad hominem ... and restating what I told you before. move on.

nope, they are not at odds. Its a book and science is a process. you are making that fight up to suit an atheist pastor's agenda. People pushing literal bible are at odds with people that don't use the bible as literal. as it should be I might add.

man coming from the dust of the earth is not at odds with science. when a man acts in a selfish, self centered, and self serving manor his life tends to have more conflict in it than those that don't is also not at odds with science. Many parts of Jesus' message is certainly not at odds with science.

The magic goes against known observations. And I would agree with ya there. They also need to change some of the books to reflect the growth in knowldge man has gained too. Paul isn't against science, he is just a "law man" from 2000 years ago that should be removed. But that isn't against science per say. you are at odds with the bible. again, why is that? what happened?

science facts are for anybody to use to support a belief. Stop making up a fight that is not there. try teaching people how to think instead of forcing crap down their throats. I can go to any bible thumpin mass for that.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Now you are just being annoying. You are doing what the believers do with the different usage of the words. In science, FACTS are NOT facts as used in common parlance. In science, THEORY is not the same as theory used in common parlance. When you misuse them, you mislead.
In Science:

Fact: In science, an observation that has been repeatedly confirmed and for all practical purposes is accepted as “true.” Truth in science, however, is never final and what is accepted as a fact today may be modified or even discarded tomorrow.

Hypothesis: A tentative statement about the natural world leading to deductions that can be tested. If the deductions are verified, the hypothesis is provisionally corroborated. If the deductions are incorrect, the original hypothesis is proved false and must be abandoned or modified. Hypotheses can be used to build more complex inferences and explanations.

Theory: In science, a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that can incorporate facts, laws, inferences, and tested hypotheses.
Do you see the word facts in your cut and pasted definition of Theory? Evolution is a Theory based on facts.

However thanks for your efforts for the cut and paste with respect to the word fact....and no where in my post that you quoted will you find me using the word fact. In Fact go back to the now closed Evolution/Creation thread and see me giving this same argument that your are trying to give me here, with respect to the use of the word fact to another poster.

Quote:
Preposterous. The explanation for the existence of diverse species (speciation) is the essential feature of evolution theory!
Exactly, but you are confusing observable evolution with speciation.

Speciation is the evolutionary process by which new biological species arise.

Speciaton is generally not observable in nature.

"Observable evolution" does not generate a new species...it generates the same species with an adaption...such as what we see in the Peppered Moth. It's not a new species...it simple has different wing coloration from the wild type moth. This is an example of Macro evolution which is what it referred to as observable Evolution.

Just as in microevolution, basic evolutionary mechanisms like mutation, migration, genetic drift, and natural selection are at work and can help explain many large-scale patterns in the history of life.

However when you make these types of claims it tells me that you really don't understand Evolution.

Quote:
Evolution is based on inferences drawn from indirect evidence which is slightly different than facts.
Evolution is not based solely on inferences drawn from indirect evidence. You clearly don't know as much about Evolution and you are touting here.

I truly appreciate that you believe in Evolution, but you clearly have a few misconceptions about it.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I didn't say you were a fundamentalist, I said your fundamentalist background was showing. And I mightr add the characteristic mindset.
Well in your world, you might call it fundamentalist background.

But in reality it is a scientific background. Science is not based on fundamentalist data or views.

I am not sure what you are referring to here?

Quote:
How long ago did you realize that it was a load?

Old 07-13-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

I am actually basing it from the very odd images you posted yesterday of first a baby orangutan crawling with a baby, and then a child with a chimp head.

That spells it out loud and clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity