Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 11:36 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,636,414 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if this is your own conclusions or if a church has taught this doctrine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 11:42 AM

61,290 posts, read 87,078,539 times
never understood it but do it daily (linguist)
gratitude and healing i understand and love.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:32 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,188,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
I would like to know if this is your own conclusions or if a church has taught this doctrine?
For me it was something that happened outside of a church. At the time I was attending a reformed church that was legalistic and the gifts were not discussed or "on the menu" so to speak. It happened at work, no external influences of men and it was not something I was looking for either at the time.

Blessings

Old 02-06-2008, 11:23 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,636,414 times
Remember not to put God in a box. He will use anyone, anytime for his purposes. He keeps amazing me time and time again on who he uses and how he does. Scripture teaches us that tounges does exist and is for today.. we might differ on who it is purposedfor but truly the gift is for today... it is there in plain writing... We serve a good God who wants to gift his people.

Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 PM

224 posts, read 413,617 times
just a thought

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

If you notice the Scriptures to not say the apostles spoke different languages it says that the people hearing them all hear their on language. hence the question in act 2:7 they knew they all spoke Galilaean.

just a thought

Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 AM

740 posts, read 2,009,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxGreyFalconxx View Post
just a thought

Act 2:1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.
Act 2:2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.
Act 2:3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.
Act 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Act 2:5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Act 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Act 2:7 And they were all amazed and marveled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

If you notice the Scriptures to not say the apostles spoke different languages it says that the people hearing them all hear their on language. hence the question in act 2:7 they knew they all spoke Galilaean.

just a thought
This was my interpratation as well. That "tounges" mean languages. My son has been given the gift of tounges... he can speak Spanish and has been given the oppertunity to share the gospel in Mexico. I, on the other hand, cannot speak another language.

Ac 2:4 -
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

Here is the Strong's meaning for the word tongues in this vs.:Ac 2:4 - 1100 glwÃœssa of uncertain affinity
Transliterated Word Phonetic Spelling
Glossa gloce-sah'
Parts of Speech TDNT
Noun Feminine 1:719,123
Definition
the tongue, a member of the body, an organ of speech
a tongue
the language or dialect used by a particular people distinct from that of other nations

The exact same Strongs number is given to the tongues used in 1Co 14:14 which means that it was translated from the original text from the same word.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM

Default clear up my thought

I think i may not have got my thought out there.

The apostles were still speaking Galilean. The people heard in there own language. This is what makes it miraculous.

Unless you are saying you son just woke up one day and was fluent in Spanish?

I dont think thats what you are saying is it?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:44 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,490,276 times
We don't know that they were still speaking Galilean. I have heard modern day stories of people who were speaking in their "prayer language" (tongues, unknown meaning to themselves) within someone else's hearing. That other person has asked them why they started speaking in Latin (or whatever language) and then they go on to say that the person was telling them all about Jesus in the Latin language. The person who was doing the talking said that they do not know Latin, and that they were just praying in the Spirit.

I agree that speaking in tongues should serve a purpose. It is not just babble that we use to sound "spiritual". I believe that there is much mystery regarding this topic. I don't think that either side fully understands this gift.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:32 AM

Act 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Act 2:9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,
Act 2:10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,
Act 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

Note verse 8

Old 02-07-2008, 11:43 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,490,276 times
I understand that people were hearing other languages. But it doesn't say that they were still speaking what they believed to be Galilean. Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity