Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2015, 10:00 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

I also know that Paul said speak the truth in love, and i also know that love is not offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 10:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
You brought this up, but now you don't want to talk about it? That doesn't make much sense. Neither does the idea that being told someone loves you would be offensive, unless there were perhaps implied judgments and/or strings attached to it.
If you want my view on it, it is all on the thread I attached. I see no point in copying the posts from there to here, just because you don't feel like going there to read it.

Read it, or don't read it. I do not care.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

I am sorry you have a hard time accepting my story, and the stories of others who are/were offended by the Gospel.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:05 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I also know that Paul said speak the truth in love, and i also know that love is not offensive.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If you want my view on it, it is all on the thread I attached. I see no point in copying the posts from there to here, just because you don't feel like going there to read it.

Read it, or don't read it. I do not care.

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.

I am sorry you have a hard time accepting my story, and the stories of others who are/were offended by the Gospel.
I accept that you were offended by something. I'm just asking why being told you were loved was offensive to you?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:14 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:

Being someone who believes the scriptures, i would prefer to believe the one it testifies of over the testimony of men. There is no one in the gospels offended by what THE TRUTH said other than the scribe and pharisee.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I accept that you were offended by something. I'm just asking why being told you were loved was offensive to you?
And I told you my answers are in thread "offended by the Gospel". You refused to read them, and instead demand I copy everything to this thread. I am not going to do that, so there is nothing more to say.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
And I told you my answers are in thread "offended by the Gospel". You refused to read them, and instead demand I copy everything to this thread. I am not going to do that, so there is nothing more to say.

You can't answer a question asked about your experience, without copying and pasting?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:27 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Your automatic reaction is to always blame the messenger, but you are mistaken.
You can excuse, defend or justify your own position.
But I find it unnecessary to be fanatical about it.

"Preach the gospel, use words if necessary."

In other words, living it - is a better witness to others.
Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:32 AM

O.P. pretty much nailed it. The reason people may be offended by the fundamentalist "gospel" isn't because it's truth and it's not because they're being told they are loved. It's because imbedded within this supposed "good news" are accusations and condemntation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
<snipped>
Living in fear. We do it every day. But there is more to life than fear.

Fear of fire, of Hell, of judgement. Isn't it time we stopped? I could tell you all about how you need to repent, but I think you heard it before, and you're missing the point. It's not about repentance.

I'll say it again. It's not about repentance. Guilt/sin/repentance. All of this is your Accuser telling you how horrible a person you are. How you don't measure up. That you need to be more perfect, more righteous. Like who? The Pharisees? Who Jesus repeatedly pointed out were guilty of far worse than the laws they gave to others?

If it's not about repentance, what is it about? It's about moving past sin, into love.

Here's the truth. You are being accused. But God can save you, if you let him. If you buy the accusation, however, you are unable to properly live in love. Your head is screwed up.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:39 AM

Offensive?

Oh, yes.

Did Tebow threaten people. No, he painted bible verse on his face, and people react like he threw acid on their faces.

Did Wilkerson threaten Cruz? No, he told him Jesus loves him, and Cruz threatened to kill him.

Ask yourself why.

As you can tell by Pleroos posts some people have no idea what Jesus meant when He said that they hated Him for no reason. It happens all the time. People are irritated and offended by the mere mention of Jesus. Jesus knew people will be offended and reject the light because they love the darkness. He said "they hated me without reason" and "people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil". Maybe the people here who are continually offended by Christians do not really know why they are offended. It would be better if they figured it out, because they are barking at the wrong tree when they attack the messegers.

Go out and try it. Tell a stranger that Jesus loves you, and there is a good chance it will not be well received.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity