Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Wow... the hits just keep on coming... the Bible is a stumbling block to seeing life for you.

What then is life?
No, only for evangelical fundamentalists that believe it is inerrant and infallible and dictated to men by God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 01:18 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Yeah, the Bible does not say yay or nay with regard to slavery. It was just a fact of life.
The type of slavery we had in US was condemned in the Bible.

Exodus 21:16 “Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.

The type of slavery among Jews was typically mutually agreed upon, like when Jacob agreed to be a slave for 7 years in order to earn the hand of the woman he loved. It was a method of payment.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:20 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Wow... the hits just keep on coming... the Bible is a stumbling block to seeing life for you.

What then is life?
Did you intentionally miss the part where i said "only for them". The bible is not a stumbling for those of us who know it is not inerrant, infallible and was dictated to men by God.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:22 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,254,407 times
Quote:
Yeah, the Bible does not say yay or nay with regard to slavery. It was just a fact of life.
But this is the very reason that we should not revere those ancient claims as sacred when they are based on ignorance?

The simple fact that all the scriptures were written by people, who by virtue of their placement on planet earth, had little to no access to scientific knowledge or even common sense.

They lived during a time that their world view would be considered today to be very narrow and unworldly.

These people knew nothing of the facts that are now relevant in today’s world in the 21 Century.

They knew nothing about the origins of life, the relationship between the mind and brain, they did not even know that mental illness actually existed in humans. They knew nothing about DNA or viruses. Nothing about computation, technology or even electricity. None of this is in scripture. They had no idea why people became sick and died.

They had no problem with slavery or owning people and treating them like farm equipment. Just as you said...it was a fact of life.

Neither Jesus nor his apostles couldn’t see that slavery was worth condemning.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:29 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Exodus 21:16 “Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.

The type of slavery among Jews was typically mutually agreed upon, like when Jacob agreed to be a slave for 7 years in order to earn the hand of the woman he loved. It was a method of payment.
So was a person put to death before the sixth year when the slave was set free?

Deuteronomy 15:12–15
Embed

12 “If your brother, a Hebrew man or a Hebrew woman, is sold to you, he shall serve you six years, and in the seventh year you shall let him go free from you.
13 And when you let him go free from you, you shall not let him go empty-handed.
14 You shall furnish him liberally out of your flock, out of your threshing floor, and out of your winepress. As the Lord your God has blessed you, you shall give to him.
15 You shall remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God redeemed you; therefore I command you this today.

What about having SEX with your slaves (outside of MARRIAGE?)

When the Bible refers to female slaves who do not "please" their masters, we're talking about the sexual use of slaves. Likewise when the Bible spells out the conditions for marrying a slave (see Exodus 21:7-11).

"If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as male servants do.
If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. He has no right to sell her to foreigners, because he has broken faith with her.
If he selects her for his son, he must grant her the rights of a daughter.
If he marries another woman, he must not deprive the first one of her food, clothing and marital rights.
If he does not provide her with these three things, she is to go free, without any payment of money.

So, to recap, it is acceptable for DADDY to sell his little girl without being put to death, and the BUYER can sell her AGAIN, just cannot sell her to FOREIGNERS?
And if the BUYER bought her for his son, she is like a daughter, bought and paid for?
AND the BUYER can marry yet ANOTHER WOMAN (can HE BUY more than one from the same seller?) he still must care for the first or all the other wives.

Care and Maintenance of your newly BOUGHT SLAVE(S) or how to buy people and avoid that whole ugly thing of being stoned...

Old 07-20-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Like i have already told you, i am not here to convert but to divert folks from the likes of yourself. Again you talk like you have no faith, you do, it may not be in God, but it is in everything you believe that is not already scientifically proven unto you.
I am not here to be converted or to convert. This is a thread about Fundamental Christianity.

Folks like myself are simply busting the myths with evidence not with our self deluded belief system.

You can be angry at the evidence all you want, but shame on you for you taking it out on the messenger.

Quote:
How could i possibly take something that i see for myself in the unseen and show it to you?, it is never ever going to happen because you do not believe it(you have already rejected the idea), now if you were open enough to at least seek it, there is a good chance you will see what exists in the unseen. That is how it works. So i am not asking for you to believe anything especially when you have no desire to see anything further than your nose, you are a full blown fundamentalist and a closed shop, and would never see the evidence if it slapped you in your face, because your mind is obviously already made up. God(not some bearded guy who looks like Moses, but Life itself) is in all creation but you have no desire to see it.
Describing something you personally have experienced that is unseen is not what you have been posting here.

I would love to hear the defining characteristics of this unseen entity that you speak of...which I will assume you call God. So far on this thread I have not met one person who can describe this God that they believe in. Or they have differing opinions. So please enlighten me with your definition so that I can understand exactly what you mean with respect to this unseen entity. How do you define this entity? What are it's defining characteristics?

Nope I am not even close to being a fundamentalist.

Fundamentalists irrevocable believe in something without any supporting evidence, and think that everyone else is wrong.

This is what fundamentalism is...belief without evidence and holding onto that belief no matter what evidence there is to dispel the belief.

I am not one of these types.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:35 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:

Is that anything like economical slavery which still exists today?

Old 07-20-2015, 01:37 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:

What then is life?
When the bible is focused on more than the one it points to, then it becomes both an idol and a stumbling block.

When Jesus, who spent a lot of time fighting fundamentalists of His day, is the focus for viewing scripture rather than scripture being the focus to view Jesus, then there is freedom in Christ.

Quote:
(Paul) Tillich (theologian) argues that the biblical document is certainly not to be sheltered from even the most radical forms of biblical criticism, for faith is not dependent on the historical accuracy of a text. What is important about the text are its myths and symbols that point beyond themselves to that which is of ultimate concern. As with science and psychology then, Tillich sees textual critics as “allies of theology in the fight against the supranaturalistic distortions of genuine revelation.
http://austinroberts13.blogspot.com/...ble-jesus.html
Those who haven't the eyes to see nor the ears to hear, just keep on trucking as they have.

I wonder why I never see a former "liberal" Christian becoming a fundamentalist? But there are several of us former fundamentalists who had our eyes opened to the error of fundamentalism. If God were on YOUR side, wouldn't He be able to convert some liberals? Instead, what few converts you get now, came from those without any religious background.

Real Christ followers GROW. Those with hardened hearts remain as they were.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:

This is silly. The US was not even in existence when that was written.

It was not condemned here in the US...it was a way of life in North America for over 245 years.

Did they not teach this to you in history class?

I think your Exodus quote is a bit misleading.

Quote:
In the Ancient Near East, captives obtained through warfare were often compelled to become slaves, and this was seen by the law code of Deuteronomy as a legitimate form of enslavement, as long as Israelites were not among the victims;the Deuteronomic Code institutes the death penalty for the crime of kidnapping Israelite's to enslave them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bible_and_slavery

Unfortunately slavery still exits today all over this globe. So much for those scriptures eh?

Old 07-20-2015, 01:51 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Did you intentionally miss the part where i said "only for them". The bible is not a stumbling for those of us who know it is not inerrant, infallible and was dictated to men by God.
What then is life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity