Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 08:26 AM

9,702 posts, read 1,190,349 times

Advertisements

Is the New Covenant for Christians only or for all men?

I need supporting Scripture for either position.

Thank you for your time,

Katie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2015, 08:51 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,329,675 times
What do you believe the New Covenant is?

Old 07-14-2015, 09:07 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,856,186 times
13for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.

16"I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:11 AM

4,684 posts, read 6,097,505 times
Jeremiah 31:31-34(KJV)

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Considering the was no such things as a Christian when Jesus or the disciples walked the earth, I would see the new covenant for those who believe in God(YHWH), the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob and have placed their trust in Jesus (Yahusha/Yeshua/etc) to cover their sins and repent for salvation. Just making sure the correct names are there too in case any scared namers want to attack.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:19 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,247,451 times
The thread subject is different than the orig post.

Old 07-14-2015, 09:20 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,128,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemygirl View Post
Is the New Covenant for Christians only or for all men?
The New Covenant makes Christians, but unbelievers are under the old covenant (the law) until they come to Christ, and that's by design - the law is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. (Gal. 3:24)

The trick is to put the law aside when you believe Christ is your righteousness, because you can't serve two masters (Mat. 6:24), you can't put new wine in old wineskins (Mark 2:22), or be married to two husbands (Romans 7).

Old 07-14-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What do you believe the New Covenant is?
I'm asking because I am not sure if it is an agreement between God and His people or if it's between God and all men. If I knew for positive either way, I would not have asked.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
The New Covenant makes Christians, but unbelievers are under the old covenant (the law) until they come to Christ, and that's by design - the law is a schoolmaster to bring us to Christ. (Gal. 3:24)

The trick is to put the law aside when you believe Christ is your righteousness, because you can't serve two masters (Mat. 6:24), you can't put new wine in old wineskins (Mark 2:22), or be married to two husbands (Romans 7).
Good point. Thank you.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Jeremiah 31:31-34(KJV)

31 Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord:
33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the Lord, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Considering the was no such things as a Christian when Jesus or the disciples walked the earth, I would see the new covenant for those who believe in God(YHWH), the God of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob and have placed their trust in Jesus (Yahusha/Yeshua/etc) to cover their sins and repent for salvation. Just making sure the correct names are there too in case any scared namers want to attack.
So it's for believers in God who place their faith in Jesus. Thank you.

Old 07-14-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
The thread subject is different than the orig post.
Sorry. Couldn't get it all in Title.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity