Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 10:33 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,113,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
religion as a psychological defence mechanism to protect against reality
Relationship with the Creator to actively effect change to reality

That's what scripture teaches - if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain ...

Believers aren't timid or scared.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 11:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post

That's what scripture teaches - if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain ...

And the last mountain you moved was where? Or is your faith not as big as a mustard seed?

Old 07-17-2015, 12:03 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,113,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And the last mountain you moved was where? Or is your faith not as big as a mustard seed?
Since I've left the preaching of the law (do good, get good - do bad, get bad) which most everyone believes and entered into a grace only walk with God (His righteousness and not mine):

I have improved health scores with no behavior modifications

I have lost the desire of sinful behavior (without trying)

I have gotten four different raises at work in the last 2 1/2 years, and am being training for management (doubling my present salary)

I have a love for people, I am no longer fearful of speaking to crowds, I'm basically a different person.

Sounds accurate: If any man be in Christ, he is a new creator; old things are passed away, behold - all things are made new. (2 Cor. 5:17)

Old 07-17-2015, 12:04 PM

32,530 posts, read 21,853,082 times
Quote:

Have you ever tried that?...

Old 07-17-2015, 12:17 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,302,250 times
Quote:

This is what it could be, imo. But I don't think religion is that, generally speaking, because it's usually focused on 1) pleasing or appeasing God 2) through "right belief" and/or "right behavior".

Old 07-17-2015, 12:18 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,076,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It's an accurate portrayal of you.

And yeah, sometimes it's funny but mostly it's very sad.
I like Euseby, he maybe a fundy but he is not militant(ok,maybe a little) in his beliefs. It is the ones who try to force their dark beliefs on you then cry persecution and such stuff simply because you challenge their beliefs and reject them wholeheartedly as being from the pit of hell.
If we get upset because of having what we believe challenged or rejected, then i guess the issue lies with what we believe.

Old 07-17-2015, 12:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Quote:
Since I've left the preaching of the law (do good, get good - do bad, get bad) which most everyone believes and entered into a grace only walk with God (His righteousness and not mine):

I have improved health scores with no behavior modifications

I have lost the desire of sinful behavior (without trying)

I have gotten four different raises at work in the last 2 1/2 years, and am being training for management (doubling my present salary)

I have a love for people, I am no longer fearful of speaking to crowds, I'm basically a different person.

Sounds accurate: If any man be in Christ, he is a new creator; old things are passed away, behold - all things are made new. (2 Cor. 5:17)
Check, so mountains were NOT moved, understood...but HEY--congrats on getting over some of those social phobias, some arer really difficult for people to conquer

Old 07-17-2015, 12:57 PM

1,422 posts, read 945,968 times
Quote:
Perhaps it is mistranslated? (apparently it happens all the time.)

Perhaps the word for 'large bolder' and 'mountain' are similar in the Hebrew lingo?

But really, why are you being so literal?

Do you not understand that it is metaphor for issues which are huge but nonetheless can be overcome?

Issues such as "Roman Rule" and "Organised Religion" and Generally Accepted Hypocrisies"

Therefore - "If you have even a tiny bit of faith in yourself you can achieve a great deal with that and overcome obstacles which have prevented you from doing so up until now..."

Spoiler
In other words "Stop being a complainer and start being an activist."

The last thing anyone needs is lots of people actually throwing mountains into the sea! It was tragic enough that the world greatest nations were doing so back in the day testing their nukes!

Spoiler

Old 07-17-2015, 04:17 PM

63,451 posts, read 39,704,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
This is what it could be, imo. But I don't think religion is that, generally speaking, because it's usually focused on 1) pleasing or appeasing God 2) through "right belief" and/or "right behavior".

Old 07-17-2015, 04:33 PM

350 posts, read 567,815 times
Quote:
Check, so mountains were NOT moved, understood...but HEY--congrats on getting over some of those social phobias, some arer really difficult for people to conquer
And when I see rude comments like this, it really affirms to me that Christ is the better way. The world is cruel, bitter, unkind, and unhappy. Wouldn't you like to be the opposite of those things too, like little elmer? The guy is appreciative of all the good he believes God has done in his life, and all you can say is, essentially, "Big whoop, not enough proof." It blows my mind that people can wallow in their sinful negativity, like it's so much more fulfilling then the mighty forgiveness and love of God...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity