Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:57 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
What a silly example. Luther was clearly not speaking about religion or doctrines of the Lutheran church.

What you, and other Mormons would have us believe, is that sometimes when Smith or other Mormon prophets are speaking about religious issues, they aren't really speaking a prophets.

How are we to know when they are speaking as prophets?
Apparently it's up to the random professing mormon in the year 2015 to believe whatever they want!

Old 07-23-2015, 04:05 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Being a woman discussing your faith is only important to Vizio. He choice of words is interesting.

He did not choose, a woman on the internet claiming to be Mormon.

He did not choose , a person claiming to be a woman, claiming to be a Mormon.

He chose, some woman. It shows a bias. I like when people show themselves.
Well...ya know....fundamentalists believe women shouldn't be in the pulpit. It must burn their biscuits to be corrected by a strong, intelligent woman of faith.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:20 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Weird, huh? Brigham Young said that he did.
No he did not. You've interpreted what he said to mean that, but he never said that.

Hold on just a minute, Vizio. I asked, "Jesus wasn't from this planet either, Vizio. What does that mean He was?" And your answer was:
Quote:
He isn't from a planet near the star Kolob. Or the star itself.
Whether you're talking about Jesus Christ or God the Father, the answer is the same: He isn't from a planet near the star Kolob and He isn't from the star itself. He's from Heaven. The number of verses of scripture referring to Him as being in Heaven are in the hundreds, if not thousands.

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-23-2015 at 04:46 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Honestly ... I believe you are no less prone to using prepared anti-propaganda material as you are always accusing others of doing.
I can't recall ever having done that before, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Apparently it's up to the random professing mormon in the year 2015 to believe whatever they want!
Nobody is forcing an professing Mormon in the year 2015 to believe anything. The Church has, however, made it absolutely clear as to what constitutes official doctrine and what doesn't.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:26 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
So is Mormonism more like Scientology than Christianity because I just went and read some articles and that is what we got from it here.

What I have realized from reading this thread is why all the hoopla about the possibility of Romney becoming President since he was a Mormon. I also get all the jokes now.

Maybe request a special area for Mormonism?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:34 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
So is Mormonism more like Scientology than Christianity because I just went and read some articles and that is what we got from it here.

What I have realized from reading this thread is why all the hoopla about the possibility of Romney becoming President since he was a Mormon. I also get all the jokes now.

I do not get the jokes. If Mormons are also Christians why do you expect a separate forum?

Old 07-23-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I'm sure that if you believe everything you read, that's exactly the impression you would come away with. And if you're already thinking Vizio's on the right track, he'd definitely be the one with the answers.

Quote:
Well, congratulations (about the jokes I mean). Better late than never, I guess. I actually didn't vote for Romney, since I don't agree with his politics, but that's just me. I pretty much don't let my religious beliefs interfere with my political positions.

Quote:
Yeah, maybe a special area for Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians, Methodists, Episcopalians, Jehovah's Witnesses, Disciples of Christ, Pentacostals, Seventh-day Adventists and all the rest. Or just one happy forum on Christianity as a whole, where we're all free to express our interpretation of Christian doctrines (and to tell each other we're going to go to hell).

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-23-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Nobody is forcing an professing Mormon in the year 2015 to believe anything. The Church has, however, made it absolutely clear as to what constitutes official doctrine and what doesn't.
If that were in fact the case, threads like this wouldn't exist. Given that Mormon doctrine has changed quite a bit over the years, it requires as official policy that anything said by a prior prophet can/will be trumped by the current prophet.

Old 07-23-2015, 06:12 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
If that were in fact the case, threads like this wouldn't exist. Given that Mormon doctrine has changed quite a bit over the years, it requires as official policy that anything said by a prior prophet can/will be trumped by the current prophet.
For the benefit of whom? Mormons do not have any problems with their doctrine. Disclaimers? For your benefit? Mine?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity