Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2015, 07:43 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,915,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
It was at one point illegal in many cities. And people were called bigots for suggesting that it be illegal.

I am asking you to tell me why you think it's ok to discriminate against one orientation but not another. Can you do that?

I have no problem saying same sex marriage and pedophilia are both deviant. But then, I'm being consistent.
Good grief are you being obtuse.

How many times do you have to be told it's a matter of giving informed consent. What part of that do you have difficulty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:44 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
It was at one point illegal in many cities. And people were called bigots for suggesting that it be illegal.

I am asking you to tell me why you think it's ok to discriminate against one orientation but not another. Can you do that?

I have no problem saying same sex marriage and pedophilia are both deviant. But then, I'm being consistent.
Slight error in historical recall..It was NEVER ILLEGAL anywhere in America. No one ever went to prison for being LGBTQ. No ever went to Jail for being LGBTQ.

No one was ever prosecuted for being LGBTQ...

Old 08-02-2015, 09:01 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,146,343 times
From page 1...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Zman, this is truly a great message in a bottle. I particularly liked Pastor Smith's words:

"You can't antagonize and then evangelize. You can't insult and then inspire."

DrRob4JC needs to view a real sermon from an inspired black preacher. More than that, he needs to have it sink into his heart.

Too soon, etc., but a big thumbs up!!!
I hear real sermons about every week.

I am not OK with hypocrisy in the church.

This pastor is incorrect in dealing with the Mosaic law as he did.

Homosexuality is still sin.

If I am speaking with someone on street not pushing an agenda, there will be no condemnation from me.

If I am speaking with people on a website pushing an agenda placating homosexual behavior, you will get the truth from me.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:33 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
Quote:
Yup. That's how it would work.

Why do you believe you have the right to tell him he can't get married for only a few years? If that's what he is attracted to, and that's who he loves and is what he's oriented to, you don't get to have your bigoted notions of what marriage should be and tell him what to do.

A lot of people think a 7 year old can make a decision about what gender they want to be. I don't see that as too much more of a stretch....if you think you're going to let a 7 year old make that kind of decision.

Again...in my world, I have no problem being able to say that's not what God designed marriage as. With you? Marriage is whatever the person wants...so why do you get to tell anyone else how to live?

The city made it illegal to practice their religion--including the decision of what kind of worship service they'll partake in. I'm sorry if you don't see it.
Saying what I think when I have very plainly have said otherwise show to be that it is impossible to have with you a honest discussion. If you truly believed in your God you would honour the 9th commandments, that you do not appear to believe that you should follow that commandment makes me wonder if you actually believe anything you post. That you can possibly believe that supporting same sex marriage means that I must support men rapping little girls shows what a twisted sense of right and wrong you have. You win as I have no intention of further conversation with you. At least I so know enough that the vast percentage of Christians do believe in the notions of compassion, respect, fairness and love. Notions that do appear foreign to yourself.

The city did not make it illegal for anyone to practice their religion. That pastor 8s still not performing SSM and is perfectly legal nit doing so. No matter how often you ly about that law you will still be wrong. Life is to short to deal with people so full of hate and dishonesty bye.

Old 08-02-2015, 09:34 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If I am speaking with people on a website pushing an agenda placating homosexual behavior, you will get the truth from me.
Define Bestiality? And that of going after - strange - or different flesh, unlike that of your own?

Old 08-02-2015, 10:02 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,707,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
From page 1...

I hear real sermons about every week.

I am not OK with hypocrisy in the church.

This pastor is incorrect in dealing with the Mosaic law as he did.

Homosexuality is still sin.

If I am speaking with someone on street not pushing an agenda, there will be no condemnation from me.

And what would that "agenda" be. The only people on the street with an "agenda" are fundamentalist religionists.

Posted on another thread but reiterated for your enjoyment:

The moral spiral downward began with fundamentalist religion marked by the following characteristics:

1. They (fundamentalists) are counter-modernist--desiring to return to some inplausible golden age.
  2. They (fundamentalists) are “generally assertive, clamorous, and often violent”.
  3. They are “the Chosen”, “the Elect”, “the Saved”.
  4. Public marks of distinction are needed to maintain their sense of superiority and distinctive identity. Not only for the purpose of maintaining that distinctive identity, but also aspart of the narcissistic struggle to be considered unique and special.”
  5. There is only one true religion and one correct way of life; and these must be defended against inroads from other religions and secularism.
  6. There is an inerrant holy book, prophet or charismatic leader to whom literal obedience is mandatory.
  7. Law and authority come from God.
  8. Female sexuality must be controlled and clear impassable boundaries must be established between men and women.
  9. Sexual behaviour is a major concern of all fundamentalists — Christian, Jewish, Islamic — without exception. Especially the fear of and opposition to homosexuality.

10. Fundamentalism and nationalism converge. The moral life according to the will of God can only be fully lived in a society of fellow-practitioners of the belief. This can only be achieved through God’s rule — through the national executive and legislature itself. Hence the importance of bringing about a government that will prioritize the right morals and right culture for the nation — relegating other (economic) functions to a secondary place.
http://www.vridar.org/2007/06/29/10-...undamentalism/

These were highlights of a book by Tamas Pataki. In it he concludes that the characteristics--common to fundamentalism of all religions--notes that the above attributes cluster in patterns that point to something quite possibly independent of cultural variables — a certain set of psychological traits that he sees bound inextricably with narcissism.

Quote:
Brave and controversial, this philosophical study argues against extremist religions, contending that many radical doctrines stem from the same basic roots of fear, misery, and delusion. Citing numerous statistics, this survey shows that traditional faith and belief in a higher power retains strong support the world over, from the United States and Nigeria to Indonesia and Ireland. The revival of Orthodoxy in Russia and Eastern Europe is also discussed, as well as the religious stirrings in atheistic China, the growth of extreme Hindu nationalism in India, and the appeal of Islamic fundamentalism.
https://books.google.com/books/about...d=We41ic3cR7sC

A fundamentalist religion is a religion, any religion, that when confronted with a conflict between love, compassion and caring, and conformity to doctrine, will almost invariably choose the latter regardless of the effect it has on its followers or on the society of which it is a part. They make this choice because they uniformly place a high priority on doctrinal conformity, with such force that it takes higher priority than love, compassion and service.

I have an agenda--not those homosexuals. My agenda is to expose fundamentalism for the lie it puts in front of the American people day after day. It's why I left the Southern Baptist Church, and why I speak and write with such passion against the evils practiced under its name---by people who don't even recognize what they are doing. But that fundamentalism boils down to doctrinal conformity over love, compassion and service--the latter being the things Jesus taught and demonstrated with his life.

The only thing we've ever gotten from you is doctrinal conformity to fundamentalism.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
The city did not make it illegal for anyone to practice their religion.
It would not be an exaggeration to say that, according to fundamentalists - every sexual act except for sexual intercourse between a married couple, using only the missionary position in the dark - should be criminalized.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It would not be an exaggeration to say that, according to fundamentalists - every sexual act except for sexual intercourse between a married couple, using only the missionary position in the dark - should be criminalized.
Sodomy "laws" consisted of anal or oral sex, even in private - regardless - of sexual orientation.
They were not gender specific, but were treated as "crimes against nature" due to religious beliefs.

Old 08-02-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
And what would that "agenda" be. The only people on the street with an "agenda" are fundamentalist religionists.

Posted on another thread but reiterated for your enjoyment:

The moral spiral downward began with fundamentalist religion marked by the following characteristics:

1. They (fundamentalists) are counter-modernist--desiring to return to some inplausible golden age.
  2. They (fundamentalists) are “generally assertive, clamorous, and often violent”.
  3. They are “the Chosen”, “the Elect”, “the Saved”.
  4. Public marks of distinction are needed to maintain their sense of superiority and distinctive identity. Not only for the purpose of maintaining that distinctive identity, but also aspart of the narcissistic struggle to be considered unique and special.”
  5. There is only one true religion and one correct way of life; and these must be defended against inroads from other religions and secularism.
  6. There is an inerrant holy book, prophet or charismatic leader to whom literal obedience is mandatory.
  7. Law and authority come from God.
  8. Female sexuality must be controlled and clear impassable boundaries must be established between men and women.
  9. Sexual behaviour is a major concern of all fundamentalists — Christian, Jewish, Islamic — without exception. Especially the fear of and opposition to homosexuality.

10. Fundamentalism and nationalism converge. The moral life according to the will of God can only be fully lived in a society of fellow-practitioners of the belief. This can only be achieved through God’s rule — through the national executive and legislature itself. Hence the importance of bringing about a government that will prioritize the right morals and right culture for the nation — relegating other (economic) functions to a secondary place.
http://www.vridar.org/2007/06/29/10-...undamentalism/

These were highlights of a book by Tamas Pataki. In it he concludes that the characteristics--common to fundamentalism of all religions--notes that the above attributes cluster in patterns that point to something quite possibly independent of cultural variables — a certain set of psychological traits that he sees bound inextricably with narcissism.

https://books.google.com/books/about...d=We41ic3cR7sC

A fundamentalist religion is a religion, any religion, that when confronted with a conflict between love, compassion and caring, and conformity to doctrine, will almost invariably choose the latter regardless of the effect it has on its followers or on the society of which it is a part. They make this choice because they uniformly place a high priority on doctrinal conformity, with such force that it takes higher priority than love, compassion and service.

I have an agenda--not those homosexuals. My agenda is to expose fundamentalism for the lie it puts in front of the American people day after day. It's why I left the Southern Baptist Church, and why I speak and write with such passion against the evils practiced under its name---by people who don't even recognize what they are doing. But that fundamentalism boils down to doctrinal conformity over love, compassion and service--the latter being the things Jesus taught and demonstrated with his life.

The only thing we've ever gotten from you is doctrinal conformity to fundamentalism.
Conformity is adversarial to individuality (who or what is Satan).

Old 08-03-2015, 02:28 AM

11,123 posts, read 6,380,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Oh come on Jer even that sexual act according to fundy's is the original sin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity