Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:35 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Discuss, yes. Troll? No. And it would be nice to have actual discussions of Christianity, and not pseudo-christian cults.
Then take responsibility for engaging, Viz. You engage because you gain something from it, or you would not do it.

If your faith is a cult, you have the same right to engage as others. No one stops you. I have not seen trolls here, just people I engage in discussion about Christianity and it's aspects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 10:54 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Sadly, it's not even that we have other pseudo-Christian religions represented here as Christian, but there are some atheists outright trolling the "Christianity" board.
"Trolling": anything that Vizio doesn't like to hear.

Quote:
Discuss, yes. Troll? No. And it would be nice to have actual discussions of Christianity, and not pseudo-christian cults.
"Actual Christianity": whatever Vizio agrees with. Sorry - don't mean to needle but longing for differing voices to just shut up and go away is a venerable but not respectable view of those who don't care to have their precious beliefs uncomfortably put to the question.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-27-2015 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-27-2015, 11:22 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
"Trolling": anything that Vizio doesn't like to hear.
I encourage discussion. But outright mockery and attacking of Biblical Christianity on the "Christianity" forum? Yah....that's trolling.
Quote:

"Actual Christianity": whatever Vizio agrees with. Sorry - don't mean to needle but longing for differing voices to just shut up and go away is a venerable but not respectable view of those who don't care to have their precious beliefs uncomfortably put to the question.
Why is it that you seem to be able to tell me what Christianity is not, but when I make a statement of what it is or isn't you accuse me of being a hater?

Why is it that on a board dedicated to "Christianity", the guy with an advanced degree in theology is the one getting lectured by the ones that think 2 Hesitations is a book in the Bible?

Old 07-27-2015, 11:29 AM

My faith is able to take a robust mocking. Faith without mocking is dead.

It can take robust disagreement, too. What is faith without its defenders? What is faith without disagreements ?

Funny thing, my faith always stands. I never worry about It lives and breathes.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
I encourage discussion. But outright mockery and attacking of Biblical Christianity on the "Christianity" forum? Yah....that's trolling.
Discussion is fine, but when we run up against stonewalling and denial or ludicrous claims we show them to be absurd - and that you call 'mockery'. Discussion without 'attacking' sounds to me like discussion without disagreeing with anything you claimed. You may wish that was the case, but you can no longer expect to get away with it.

Quote:
Why is it that you seem to be able to tell me what Christianity is not, but when I make a statement of what it is or isn't you accuse me of being a hater?
What on earth is that to do with what I posted? I am not claiming what is or is not correct Christianity. You are - it is whatever you happen to think. And who called you a hater? I called you on your assertion that other people with different views were not talking correct doctrine. That is clearly calling them not real Christians.
Quote:
Why is it that on a board dedicated to "Christianity", the guy with an advanced degree in theology is the one getting lectured by the ones that think 2 Hesitations is a book in the Bible?
The fellow with the advanced degree in theology should be able to take care of himself. But what is pretty clear is that you, Vizio, old mate, with all your theological expertise, is unable to put up a decent argument against we inventors of 2 Hesitations

Old 07-27-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
My faith is able to take a robust mocking. Faith without mocking is dead.

It can take robust disagreement, too. What is faith without its defenders? What is faith without disagreements ?

Funny thing, my faith always stands. I never worry about It lives and breathes.
That's fine. Any claims or beliefs should be able to stand up against rough handling, and if your faith can remain solid in the face of all that we can throw at it - then good for you. After all, much more of the discussion is intended for those looking in than for those on the end of the discussion. Only they can change their own minds. And a faith that has to be protected like eggshell porcelain against anyone who might crunch it in a hairy atheist fist to see how it stands up to it is a feeble and weak faith indeed.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
That's fine. Any claims or beliefs should be able to stand up against rough handling, and if your faith can remain solid in the face of all that we can throw at it - then good for you. After all, much more of the discussion is intended for those looking in than for those on the end of the discussion. Only they can change their own minds. And a faith that has to be protected like eggshell porcelain against anyone who might crunch it in a hairy atheist fist to see how it stands up to it is a feeble and weak faith indeed.

Porcelain faiths need to be put away with the "good dishes, and delicate dustables" Trotted out only for the holidays, and treated with a delicacy unknown in my household.

Last edited by mensaguy; 07-27-2015 at 05:19 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 07-27-2015, 12:25 PM

[quote=RonkonkomaNative;40580384]
Quote:
That's fine. Any claims or beliefs should be able to stand up against rough handling, and if your faith can remain solid in the face of all that we can throw at it - then good for you. After all, much more of the discussion is intended for those looking in than for those on the end of the discussion. Only they can change their own minds. And a faith that has to be protected like eggshell porcelain against anyone who might crunch it in a hairy atheist fist to see how it stands up to it is a feeble and weak faith indeed.[/quote]

Porcelain faiths need to be put away with the "good dishes, and delicate dustables" Trotted out only for the holidays, and treated with a delicacy unknown in my household.
I don't dare put my Faith away anywhere as anything I 'put away' I can never find again.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:28 PM

[quote=AREQUIPA;40580499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

I don't dare put my Faith away anywhere as anything I 'put away' I can never find again.

LOL. me too.

now, what did i do with...... ?

Old 07-27-2015, 01:15 PM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Christians haven't been able to agree on "sound doctrine" since the time of the reformation. And even before that, there was the schism between the Eastern and Western Churches in 1054.

Will the REAL Christianity PLEASE...stand up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity