Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 10:06 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Again, I have a different definition of knowledge than you do. I base my knowledge on facts, not personal experience. Under the influence of severe stress and/or drugs, the human brain is capable of generating all sorts of bizarre experiences.

My father had an experience while drowning that caused him to become a fundamentalist pastor. He's not a guy you would enjoy being around. But he has explicitly stated that nothing would ever change his mind, because of his personal experience. So, who are you to say that his experience is not valid, but your experience is?
Are you saying that you have never had any experiences that clued you into the fact that one can determine what is moral and good based on the standard of love, or that you don't trust those experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:16 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,161,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Are you saying that you have never had any experiences that clued you into the fact that one can determine what is moral and good based on the standard of love, or that you don't trust those experiences?
That's a whole different topic. I wasn't even talking about morality.

Old 08-10-2015, 10:46 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
I'm only about a third of the way through this thread but one thing has become manifestly clear: It is only those who prop up their faith solely via the bible who are whining and crying.

Which is unsurprising, since such a shaky foundation is easily assailed by reason and truth.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm only about a third of the way through this thread but one thing has become manifestly clear: It is only those who prop up their faith solely via the bible who are whining and crying.

Which is unsurprising, since such a shaky foundation is easily assailed by reason and truth.
One would think so, huh?

What ever happened to being like a ROCK and upon this ROCK (FAITH) Christ was to have built His "church?"

Old 08-11-2015, 03:09 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Save yourself the trouble and read just my posts, Trout. They're the only ones that make complete 100% sense (and a few others). Oh cripes, now you're going to ask me to tell you which ones are mine!

Old 08-13-2015, 12:33 PM

299 posts, read 263,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
IMHO God didn't cause the confusion and conflict. We're responsible for that. I sometimes picture God rolling his eyes.... or smacking his forehead. Which would have made a great panel on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Amazing, Dew! You and I agree for a change!
If we simply take God's Word as He unfolds it, there isn't the confusion.
If we try to spiritualize what is obviously literal, and take literal what was shown to be an allegory, we err. If we try to pull political pooh-bahs out of our ecclesiastical hats, using the name of the Lord, we create a monster. If we don't take God's warnings seriously, we create chaos and confusion.
The most we've ever learned that is consistant to practical living and heart-felt faith was after we left Christendom and theologies and man-made programs. When we said, "Lord, I'm going to believe You over popes, reformers, Bible commentators, and other 'experts..." that's when the Lord made His Word clear, understandable, and a joy to live out.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NT Fellowship View Post
Amazing, Dew! You and I agree for a change!
It's a miracle!!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:00 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
It's a miracle!!
and people say they do not happen anymore

Old 08-13-2015, 03:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
It's a miracle!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
and people say they do not happen anymore
I walked on water, while in Alaska.
We, even, had a bonfire on the Lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity