Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2015, 11:04 AM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is a big difference between yelling 'fire' in a movie theatre and discussing what the Bible teaches about issues.
What other topics should we illegal? It is easy to see this is just the beginning on the road of making free speech illegal.
Should it be illegal to say smoking is bad for you? Threatening someone with cancer and death could be devastating for a youth who smokes
Quote:
Actually, no.
If someone asked me what the Bible says about something, I can just tell them what it says.
If someone asks what "Origin Of Species" says, I can tell then what it says. I don't have to prove anything.
But now it is illegal to say "the Bible teaches this".
It is forbidden to talk about what the Bible teaches. You don't see a problem with that. I do.
Should we ban discussions about Origin Of Species?
It would make as much sense as criminalizing discussions about the Bible.
Moderator cut: DeletedYou are defending preaching outside of the church as an authority figure to vulnerable youth in the State's custody. That would make the State party to your religious propaganda in violation of the separation of church and State. What you believe about God applies to YOU and you should focus on what YOU do about it. Leave others alone, especially vulnerable youth who are not your children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
When you can give sound reasoning or evidence ("the bible says so" doesn't cut it) which indicates that something can cause harm to those who partake in it, then you would be right to warn them if they are unaware.
They will never agree, Pleroo. They want to impose their beliefs on others and think their God wants them to do so. They ignore the fact that what God wants from us has to be VOLUNTARY . . . NOT imposed or forced.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-30-2015 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Accusing another member of lying....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 11:06 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
If someone wants to know what the bible says about something, why do they need to ask you or anyone else? They can read it, or listen to it on tape.
Why ask anyone anything?

Old 07-30-2015, 11:06 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
That is exactly it. I just don't understand why some Christians are so concerned about having the right to tell other people that something they are doing is a sin, when the vast majority of us are quite capable of recognizing the connection between unwanted consequences which enter our life and the behaviors that caused them, and have a conscience that works just fine without any other person giving their input.
They haven't the right, they just think they have because of their obsession with what they assume is sin in others.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:07 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Actually, no.

If someone asked me what the Bible says about something, I can just tell them what it says.

If someone asks what "Origin Of Species" says, I can tell then what it says. I don't have to prove anything.

It is forbidden to talk about what the Bible teaches. You don't see a problem with that. I do.

Do you support the right of Muslims to come into your kid's school and tell them "the Koran says that Jesus was not God, he was only a prophet?"

Public institutions are not the place for religious proselytizing.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:09 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
If someone wants to know what the bible says about something, why do they need to ask you or anyone else? They can read it, or listen to it on tape.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned You are defending preaching outside of the church as an authority figure to vulnerable youth in the State's custody. That would make the State party to your religious propaganda in violation of the separation of church and State. What you believe about God applies to YOU and you should focus on what YOU do about it. Leave others alone, especially vulnerable youth who are not your children.
They will never agree, Pleroo. They want to impose their beliefs on others and think their God wants them to do so. They ignore the fact that what God wants from us has to be VOLUNTARY . . . NOT imposed or forced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Do you support the right of Muslims to come into your kid's school and tell them "the Koran says that Jesus was not God, he was only a prophet?"

Public institutions are not the place for religious proselytizing.
Thank you both for reiterating the circumstances being discussed in this thread. I thought it was obvious that this was the context, but perhaps not.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-30-2015 at 12:21 PM..

Old 07-30-2015, 11:21 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Actually, no.

There is a problem- as there was with origin of species, as at one time Creationists made a big deal out of.

In the 20's the idea of human directed evolution led to to the idea of eugenics. I don't need to tell you where that led. The "Darwinism is racist" argument is still heard sometimes. In fact, Darwin was not a racist nor did he argue for Eugenics. In fact he left human evolution strictly alone.

But, even if Origin of Species had argued for Eugenics or had put forward racist views, we would now say that, whatever the scientific argument behind it, this is morally unacceptable to us and we will not condone it.

Whether that would have led to discussion of Darwin being banned is speculation, but I would expect that the science evidentially supporting Darwin, we would have to use his findings as a basis for biology, even if we rejected on moral grounds any racist or eugenics implications - as we do.

That same thing would apply to the Bible. No -one is going to say it can't be discussed, but moral objections to some (misguided) doctrines based on this or that text would mean that race and gender and sexual orientation - discriminatory doctrines should be and are being rejected. And rightly so, quite apart from the Bible having nothing like the evidential basis that Evolution theory has.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
There is a problem- as there was with origin of species, as at one time Creationists made a big deal out of.
Did they make it illegal? No, on the contrary, it is taught to kids in school as if it were fact.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:37 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Did they make it illegal? No, on the contrary, it is taught to kids in school as if it were fact.
Heliocentricism is also taught to kids in school as fact. Because there's darned good evidence for it.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Heliocentricism is also taught to kids in school as fact. Because there's darned good evidence for it.
That's cool. I never said it should be banned.

Old 07-30-2015, 11:47 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Why ask anyone anything?
Various reasons. So, again, why do you think they need to ask you (or anyone else) what the bible says when they can read it for themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity