Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:48 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,918,341 times

Advertisements

I know in my life the healing power of Jesus name .
I am witness to many healings and miracles in Jesus name .
One of the requirements for those that have been diagnosed with something,
are sent back to their doctors for reexamination .
Doctors confirm the healing has taken place, that was completely unexpected by them.
I know God's intervention in my life, and the lives of others as well, things God orchestrates for those that love Him.
No matter how you may bad mouth Christianity ,there are thousands that know God intervention in their life.
The only loosers are those in unbelief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 02:23 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
That one made me chuckle, since your church's leaders think they're apostles from the line of Peter and is the only true church.
And the difference is you think all your ancient leaders are apostles anointed by Christ Himself and the only true church. Notice the similarities except for the speaker...

Old 08-05-2015, 02:28 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,319,539 times
I think that the religious posters have proven the point that you cannot get a neutral standpoint on which is the right relgion, they all would claim that theirs is right. To expect anything else would not be expected. An atheist would say that none of them are right.

Old 08-05-2015, 03:22 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klambo View Post
The Apostles may well have believed what Jesus said and would have a cause to die for, but that doesn't necessarily prevent them from making up the resurrection story to help sell their message.
However, Jesus had told them that He was going to die and rise again in three days. Now if in fact Jesus had not been resurrected as He claimed He would be then the apostles would have had no reason to believe anything else Jesus had told them. If Jesus was wrong about His rising again in three days then what else might He have been wrong about, and why then should the apostles continue to have confidence in Him? And if they no longer believed Jesus because He failed to rise again as He said He would then why would they make up a resurrection story?

The synoptic gospel accounts were written within about 35 years of Jesus' crucifixion. So were Paul's epistles which support the reliability of the gospel accounts concerning Jesus' life in general terms as well as His death and resurrection. That is within the lifetime of people who were eyewitnesses to Jesus' life and ministry, as well as eyewitnesses to the claims of the apostles that Jesus had been resurrected. The eyewitnesses could have disputed any false claims made by the apostles. Paul wrote that on one occasion the resurrected Jesus appeared to more than 500 people (1 Corinthians 15:6). Most of those people were still alive at the time Paul wrote that.

Paul himself had seen the resurrected Jesus on the Damascus road. Contrary to the claims of some, Paul did not suffer a nervous breakdown or an hallucination. While Paul was the only one to whom Jesus appeared and spoke to, the men who were with Paul experienced something. In Acts 26:14 Luke writes that Paul stated that everyone fell to the ground. In Acts 22:9 Paul stated that all who were with him saw the light. It was perhaps the brightness of that light which caused them all to fall to the ground. Everyone also heard the voice of Jesus but except for Paul, didn't understand it (Act 9:7 compared with Acts 22:9). It was that encounter with the risen Christ on the Damascus road that changed Paul from a zealous Pharisee intent on persecuting the Christians into a great apostle who devoted his life to taking the gospel to the Gentiles.

A denial of Jesus' resurrection also brings up the issue of the empty tomb. Obviously, if Jesus' body was still in the tomb then that would mean He had not risen. But since the tomb was empty, then why was it empty? Either Jesus had risen, or someone, somehow removed His body from the tomb and hid it. But neither the Romans or the Jewish Pharisees had any motive to steal the body. Indeed, they had every reason for wanting the body to be in the tomb in order to squelch any claims of Him having been resurrected. The apostles would have had no motive for stealing the body because as stated previously, if Jesus had failed to rise from the dead in three days as He had said He would do, then the apostles had no reason to continue to have any faith in Him or in anything He had said about Himself. For the apostles to have stolen the body from the tomb even if they could have done so would have meant they were willing to conspire to perpetuate a lie about Jesus rising from the dead when they knew He had not, and that He could not keep His promise to do so and therefore was not who He claimed to be.

I consider the historical evidence for Jesus' resurrection to be valid.

Last edited by Michael Way; 08-05-2015 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: Added to the next to last sentence.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:02 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
The game of "my religion is better than yours" is barbaric and reflects ignorance and a very primitive state of mind.

Indeed...

Old 08-05-2015, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Arresmillao View Post
Well aren't you enlightened.
Yes, he is enlightened, ....with common sense.

Some folks like to carry their religion to a "Cult" Mode, and there is no place for that in our Society of today.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
If a person did not think their religion was the right one they would switch to what they thought was the right one. Same goes for what is the correct interpretation of the right religion. If I thought that any of the religions were correct I would become a follower of it.
I disagree. I think most folks are indoctrinated into their Religion by external forces, be it family, spouses, friends, or a snake oil salesman. Few sit down and study it before adopting it. .

My opinion...

Old 08-05-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Mike hit the nail on the head. Good post Mike555.

All of it based on he said, she said, they said, with no shred of evidence. Sorry. That's another "Blind Faith" story. That dog don't hunt....

Old 08-05-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Nonetheless, historically, we have more going for the truth of the evangel than that it is not true.
No we don't. Historically, we have more going on for the believe that Religion has no basis or facts to substantiate any of the wives tales, or stories being told. Actually, Historically, there is now more evidence that Aliens came to Earth than there is that Jesus did. Sorry....the evidence just isn't there.

There are just too many bad things that happen to claim there is a "God" watching over us, that cares what we do. Even a Zoo Keeper does a better job of watching over his Animals.

Any Religion that accepts a gunman going into a school slaughtering a dozen kids, as "Gods Will" is a very poor example of a Religion.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
I think that the religious posters have proven the point that you cannot get a neutral standpoint on which is the right relgion, they all would claim that theirs is right. To expect anything else would not be expected. An atheist would say that none of them are right.

None of them are right. The only one who thinks theirs is right is the ones in it. Religion is like a haircut. You pick the one your sold on, like picking a Mohawk. It may be your choice, but its not the right thing for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity