U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 07:11 AM

6 posts, read 4,243 times

Advertisements

or were they written and/or compiled/edited much later?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,252,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeMeetAgain View Post
Share your view.

What do you think?

Since we don't know you and all, I mean.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:39 AM

2,955 posts, read 6,632,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Share your view.

What do you think?

Since we don't know you and all, I mean.
Not fair, Alpha.
Posters shouldn't have to show their cards before bets are placed.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:52 AM

7,780 posts, read 13,252,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
Not fair, Alpha.
Posters shouldn't have to show their cards before bets are placed.
LOL, I didn't mean it like that b. frank (at least I don't think I did)

The question appears to be bit 'baitish' in nature....sorry....you're right

Old 01-25-2008, 09:12 AM

479 posts, read 1,020,627 times
Quote:
I think it's possible that he did. You'd be surprised what a man can do when lead by the Spirit of God. Just look at the miracles the Apostles performed. Not really a salvific issue though. We're not saved by believing Moses wrote the first 5 books, we're saved through the Grace of God and the atonement sacrafice of Christ Jesus.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 AM

255 posts, read 542,090 times
I vote for written much later. ;-)

Old 01-25-2008, 10:13 AM

479 posts, read 1,020,627 times
You know what's kind of interesting though, Moses was extremely well educated probably in both Hebrew and in the other native tongues of the Land due to being raise in Pharaoh's courts. If you think about this logically, would it not make sense for God to use Moses to write these books? I think God's initial plan was to use Moses to write these books, based on the fact that he was raised and educated by the scribes/teachers in Pharoah's courts.

The same can be said of the scribes and the Pharisees, they were used by Jesus to educate the diciples in the Torah - as Jesus said to them "the scribes and Pharisees are in Moses seat, do as they say but not as they do."

Likening Moses to that as a scribe/Pharisees is putting Moses on a very high educational light IMO. Moses may have not been the most eloquent of speakers, but he was probably of gifted intelligence as well as very highly educated. This I think points to Moses being the most likely candidate/writer of the Original Torah. They were probably passed down and re-written by other scribes over the years, but that still doesn't take away from the fact that Moses probably was the original scribe appointed by God to write down his Word, and have it handed down to the people of Israel.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,258,992 times
Yes, I believe Moses wrote the Pentateuch because Jesus said he did.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 PM

146 posts, read 269,287 times
Quote:
It becomes an extremely interesting question, doesn't' it? The reason that you might think it is some manner of compilation of what Moses wrote (similar to Samual, Kings and Chronicles) is simple: If Moses wrote the 5 books of Moses, why does he keep writing about himself in the 3rd person?

The 5 Books of Moses contain what they needed to contain. I'm not about to dispute that. I just find it odd that Moses would talk about himself in the 3rd person all the time. Exodus and Numbers especially read like stories written about Moses and not by him.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:23 PM

14 posts, read 12,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Yes, I believe Moses wrote the Pentateuch because Jesus said he did.
He did? Can you show me where?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity