Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 03:14 PM

1,419 posts, read 2,454,932 times

Advertisements

I highly doubt he had straight blonde hair or blue eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 04:18 PM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
I highly doubt he had straight blonde hair or blue eyes.
I don't think anyone would argue with you. As a matter of fact, Jesus is portrayed exactly that way in the irreverent play The Book of Mormon as a sight gag and exaggeration of Mormon beliefs.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:04 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think anyone would argue with you. As a matter of fact, Jesus is portrayed exactly that way in the irreverent play The Book of Mormon as a sight gag and exaggeration of Mormon beliefs.
But it is a pretty funny play, despite the extreme vulgarity.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
But it is a pretty funny play, despite the extreme vulgarity.
Did you see it? I laughed so hard. Extreme vulgarity is right. It is offensive even if you are not a Mormon or any other type of Christian, but as HUMAN BEINGS we should not be laughing at some of the terrible issues addressed and mocked in that play...but I did.

Somehow they made it work and ended with a positive message.

I love that the LDS Church took out full-page ads in the Playbill, too.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Did you see it?
Yeah, my husband and I saw it in London.

Quote:
Somehow they made it work and ended with a positive message.
Yeah, I liked that, too. I really didn't find the jabs they took at the Church to be all that offensive. True, I caught a lot of "inaccuracies" that 99% of the audience probably bought into with respect to our beliefs, but the portrayal of the elders themselves was just too funny for words.

Quote:
I love that the LDS Church took out full-page ads in the Playbill, too.
I bought the Playbill primarily for that reason! I loved the music, though. Talk about catchy tunes, and cute lyrics.

(Sorry, folks. Back to the OP...)

Old 10-29-2015, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, my husband and I saw it in London.

Yeah, I liked that, too. I really didn't find the jabs they took at the Church to be all that offensive. True, I caught a lot of "inaccuracies" that 99% of the audience probably bought into with respect to our beliefs, but the portrayal of the elders themselves was just too funny for words.

I bought the Playbill primarily for that reason! I loved the music, though. Talk about catchy tunes, and cute lyrics.

(Sorry, folks. Back to the OP...)
Wait, one more thing...did you ever have a Spooky Mormon Hell Dream, Katzpur?

Old 10-29-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Wait, one more thing...did you ever have a Spooky Mormon Hell Dream, Katzpur?
Seeing as we don't actually conceive of Hell the way most Christians do, no I didn't. But that scene did remind me of a conversation I once had with a Catholic friend. Both of us were convinced that our respective churches could top the other person's when it came to inducing guilt.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Seeing as we don't actually conceive of Hell the way most Christians do, no I didn't. But that scene did remind me of a conversation I once had with a Catholic friend. Both of us were convinced that our respective churches could top the other person's when it came to inducing guilt.
Add the Reformed Church to that mix. Lol. Roasting in Hell with Jeffrey Dahmer and Johnny Cochran would be seen as a real possibility!

Old 10-29-2015, 11:49 PM

14,880 posts, read 17,153,412 times
Quote:
Wasn't his lineage comprised of a strong African heritage?
Notes on the probable African influence

"Strabo (30 B.C.) says the people of western Judea were of part Egyptian ancestry, "But," he says "although the inhabitants are mixed up thus the most prevalent of the accredited reports in regard to the temple of Jerusalem represents the ancestors of the present Judeans, as they are called, Egyptians." Tacitus of about 90 A.D. says "Many assert that the Jews are an Ethiopian race" For Romans to have taken them for Ethiopian is clear indication of their color since the Ethiopians were definitely black to the Romans. Ancient Jewish legends themselves recognize this ...strain among the Jews. Solomon loved a black Shulamite and his Song of Songs was written to her..." Nature Knows No Color Line- J.A. Rogers

God bless.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:12 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,297,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
Does it bother you that Jesus' image is often that of a European, despite contrary descriptions in the Bible? If not, would you be offended by an African looking Jesus?
I don't know what you mean by African-looking. Nubian?

I think He looked much like the Middle Easterners of that region do today. He probably had dark hair that was wavy, tanned skin from the sun, and brown or maybe even green eyes. But I don't envision him as looking African. Hell, people have assumed that Cleopatra was black, too, and her heritage was Greek - and ancient Greeks were fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity