Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:12 PM

1,400 posts, read 765,996 times

Advertisements

The Bible says that those who love the Lord are not to argue. There is nothing else I can or wish to say. I'm unsubscribing to a thread that I started. God bless you who know the Lord and those who don't.

Love,
Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 12:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy739 View Post
I was taught at earliest childhood that everything written that pertains to people is referred to as "men" or "mankind". I am a woman, to the uttermost. There is no translation of the Bible where "mankind" when used generically includes the word "woman" or "girl". I understand the concept and the reasons behind it, but I'm sick of being referred to as a man. I'm not. I wish someone would write the Bible in such a way that the word "woman" or "girl" was included. Maybe I can. If not me, I wish and pray someone would. Women are people too.
Wait, you mean you are not a Human?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:16 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm talking about what the original text said. Yes--the original Hebrew seems to indicate "mankind" in a lot of places. It isn't referring to only men. In other places, gender is specifically male. It really depends on what the original text said. We should not mistranslate it in an attempt to make ourselves feel better about our situation.
Remember woman came from "man" thus to an extent is part of man (From Adam's rib). That is why the Bible used human/mankind. It isn't to demean, it is to show that man and woman are the same in essential being.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Remember woman came from "man" thus to an extent is part of man (From Adam's rib). That is why the Bible used human/mankind. It isn't to demean, it is to show that man and woman are the same in essential being.
Agreed. Of course, in some specific contexts, there are statements referring to a particular gender.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:26 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
I'm talking about what the original text said. Yes--the original Hebrew seems to indicate "mankind" in a lot of places. It isn't referring to only men. In other places, gender is specifically male. It really depends on what the original text said. We should not mistranslate it in an attempt to make ourselves feel better about our situation.
There is no difference between Adam and Eve, they were the same person but the woman is just what it says,'' WOE MAN.''

We are all born in Adam, and in Eve and one is the flesh, one is the guiding spirit and this is why we need to take on a righteous guiding spirit instead of a fallen one.

But there is no difference between male and female because all are male, and all are female. There is no difference between free man and slave because all are slaves and all are free.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:33 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
I am all for writing the bible giving women a voice. It is time to wrest it from men who think they have some sort of spiritual upper hand due to having a penis.

I would explain the Virgin Birth Story. The story should be told from a feminist perspective. I would note that male sperm was unwanted and not necessary.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:41 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
are you saying the Jews who translated the scripture human and humankind are not using the original text?

Old 08-13-2015, 12:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I was taught at earliest childhood that everything written that pertains to people is referred to as "men" or "mankind". I am a woman, to the uttermost. There is no translation of the Bible where "mankind" when used generically includes the word "woman" or "girl". I understand the concept and the reasons behind it, but I'm sick of being referred to as a man. I'm not. I wish someone would write the Bible in such a way that the word "woman" or "girl" was included. Maybe I can. If not me, I wish and pray someone would. Women are people too.
Others have shared your feelings. In the 70's there was a movement (mostly among linguists and feminists) to substitute the word "gen" for man and/or woman. Genkind would have replaced mankind to make it gender neutral. There was discussion, at the time, of having a Bible with the substitutions. Not sure how far that project went.

Old 08-13-2015, 12:47 PM

11,123 posts, read 6,388,135 times
Quote:
The Bible says that those who love the Lord are not to argue. There is nothing else I can or wish to say. I'm unsubscribing to a thread that I started. God bless you who know the Lord and those who don't.

Love,
Nancy
Nancy this is a forum where people debate things, hopefully in a peaceful manor, when it starts getting personal that's when it turns into a fight, so far I have not seen anyone do that in your thread. My goodness sis you have to expect debate, no two people ever agree on everything.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:39 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pneuma View Post
are you saying the Jews who translated the scripture human and humankind are not using the original text?
What translations are you referring to? What text is said Jew reading from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity