Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 03:52 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,824,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithful14 View Post

I believe that as well.... it is a small protestant church, one of the reason I was uncomfortable is because the pastor of that church and his family would always refer to the church as their church so if you're at their church, you had to do what they say. I didn't feel comfortable with that, I believe that God's church is made up of the people and not necessarily a building. While I do respect a dedicated location design to worship God, I don't believe that you will be save just because you go there every Sunday or whatever day, and certainly relaying on a misguided church will not do you any good with God.
It sounds to me like you have some well conceived ideas about what Christianity should be and there is no need to settle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 06:42 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,254,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithful14 View Post
One of my boyfriend's aunt who claimed to be a devoted Christian doesn't like me and she makes it a habit out of using my testimony to say that I am claimed by the devil and she doesn't like me or want me in the family.

Just to give you a background about my religious upbringing and the situation: I was raise in a Catholic household but I always struggled with my faith in God. I used think that God chooses who to love and who to protect but I ,along with the millions of innocents who died and suffer, were not good enough to be love by him. But about 2 years ago, at my lowest point, I found my way to God, accepted Jesus as my savior and started rebuilding a relationship with God. At that time, I was with my current boyfriend for two years so to support me he decided to take me to visit his church ( that was also the first time that we truly talked about God so far during that 2 years and also the first time I was going to meet the family, they didn't know about me until then). Unbeknownst to me, even though every one at the church and his family were nice, they didn't like me. And the pastor of the Church wanted my boyfriend to be with his daughter instead. So they started telling him they knew and believed that I wasn't the one for him and that God would punish him if he didn't listened, so inevitably after months of this constant pestering, he believed them and we broke up. Since i didn't know about the true reason we broke up and the church seemed like a welcoming church that i attend regularly, I continued to go.

Six months ago, we had a testimonial weekend and I was invited to testify and tell my story, I accepted. Coincidentally, my ex wasn't there and neither was this particular aunt. But he had another aunt(#2) there and I get along great with her. Anyways, after I testified, the church prayed with me (keep in mind I still didn't know that they didn't like me or was a big part of the reason for my break up) and it was like as if nothing was wrong. But 3 months ago, I stopped going to the church because I became very uncomfortable with the direction of they were going, around that time my boyfriend and I started talking again, just saying hello to each other until we got back together within 2 months. When I finally confronted him about the break up (after we got back together), he told me everything and the light bulb finally lit up. There were so maybe signs that these people hated me but I didn't see it because they were "Christian". But yesterday I found out that the aunt have been using my testimony to bash me to extended family members even though she wasn't there when I testified, she has been treating my boyfriend with the coldest of heart.

The reason she matters is because both of my boyfriend's patents died when he was really young so she took him in.
But is that how christians are suppose to be, their (both the church and his family) biggest reason for hating me is because I'm dating the man (who is 29) they wanted to be married with the pastor's daughter( who is in her mid 30s).

Is that what Christians do?
No it is not.Leaving was wise.Next time leaarn more about God, His Son, His word and then you can make a better choice.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:10 PM

18,190 posts, read 16,765,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Is that what Christianity is all about?

No, that doesn't even come close.
Close enough.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:42 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,176,943 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Close enough.
Point is well taken.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:43 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,824,345 times
Quote:
Point is well taken.
For a lot of people, I'm afraid that's about it.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:28 PM

9,666 posts, read 9,929,774 times
One problem is that some Christians resist the devil by only ignoring the very sound of the word devil or satan and that is it , and are basically not prudent in the spirit and lack discernment of spirits ................... See divisions , and pride and covertness and devalue of people , and condemnation and judgmental others is of the spirit of this world , and not of Jesus Holy Spirit who we are to be like in our character ..................... There are some Christians who oppose the very grace of God and have no answer to any of their prayers that they pray , and go and worship Jesus in church and talk like the world of hopelessness ...................... Still I said only some Christians have issue and not all Christians are hopeless........

Old 08-22-2015, 03:42 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,347,466 times
Quote:

Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Folks sometimes confuse the poor behavior of others, with Christianity itself... and sometimes, Christians themselves behave poorly. One really can't control or take responsibility for the behavior of others (and religious behavior is no exception).

Are you still perplexed about whether God loves you or whether you are good enough to be saved? The truth is: God loves you, and nobody is 'good enough' to be saved on the basis of their own merit, effort or 'good works'! (If that pervasive question remains in your mind, you may want to revisit just what you have been taught and believed about Jesus Christ).

Your own Christianity hinges only on your love for God and personal belief and trust in Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord. If that matter is settled, the rest will take care of itself.
Very sound advice jg It's called a personal relationship with God/The Lord..not a popularity contest to measure up to those who demand it!! That is actually "Anti-Christian, They would realize the evilness of their actions, if any of those folks spent their time educating themselves on the "WORD". Many of such folks somehow believe because they attend a church means they are "Holier than Thou", ..I'd bet if anyone ( which God actually does moment by moment) observed their true character ( such as Josh Duggar) They likely wouldn't even measure up to OP's knees in truth!!

I find these "Holier than Thou" type mostly hypocrites in their own lives..So I agree ..Ignore them and maintain the newly found comfort OP has expressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity