Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 09:22 AM

689 posts, read 549,501 times

Advertisements

According to NT and the book of revelation. Humans (except for Jesus) have not yet set foot on heaven.

The Bible is a book of witnessing. Heaven wasn't put to details for 2 reasons. First, it's not yet for humans to witness what heaven is for them to write down the testimonies. Second, as Jesus said, humans need to first believe the salvation message intended for them. If they don't believe the more earthly things, it's pointless to write down the heavenly things.

In fact, no details about hell as well. However, this is still possibly subject to witnessing. Hades is a place basically all humans will go after death. Resurrection may occur occasionally for humans (the Jews) to write it down for later Jews to form the concept of what Hades/sheol might be. As a necessity, this part is revealed at least to the extent that Jesus' descending to hell/sheol will become believable to the Jews. The Jews at that time possessed such a concept such that Jesus' resurrection can be made known to the Jews. So can Jesus mention about the hell fire.

If the Jews have no concept about hell/sheol, His death will make no sense to humans. That's the bottom line.

The first five books of OT serve the primary purpose of setting up LAW for the Jews. History on the other hand is in the form of words of mouth. Moses was inspired to write the beginning down to demonstrate that God doesn't just jump in in the middle. He's in control from the beginning. These books keep the names and deeds of the Jew's Patriarchs. Other names are deemed unimportant.

Moreover, the whole generation of the Jews died in the wilderness before Joshua finally settled in Canaan. So the most important things to the new generation Jews are the Mosaic Law and their origin as Jews, that is, their Patriarchs.

Last edited by Hawkins; 08-24-2015 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 09:28 AM

689 posts, read 549,501 times
God won't show up to all mankind but only to the Jews because in the end faith is needed for human salvation.

That is to say, if God shows up to all humans, it simultaneously means no humans can be saved. If on the other hand He shows up to no humans at all. Then no humans can know who God is and no humans can know what God wants from humans.

As a result, the only way which works is for God to show up to a small group of humans (usually His prophets and witnesses) and for this small group of humans to write down about Him and His requirements for later humans to follow. That's the only way.

For this same purpose, Israel as a ethnic group was ever called to be God's witness.

Romans 2:16 says that the gentiles are not judged by the same set of law given to the Jews. Although the gentiles don't have the law (Mosaic Law), they will still be judged by law but another set of Law which is written in their hearts.

To be more precise, God needs only one set of Law to be used on the Judgment Day which is reserved for the unsaved. The saved will be saved though God's Grace displayed in the various covenants.

Basically, the gentiles will be saved by God's Grace through Christ if they are deemed qualified by their efforts in observing the Law written in their hearts. The Jews will be saved by God's Grace through Jesus Christ if they are deemed qualified by their efforts in observing the Law given by Moses. The rest will be deemed unqualified by the covenants granted and thus will be judged by God's universal set of Law which Adam broke in Eden. The above applies to all mankind along the history of humanity.

The best of the best, of course is to accept the New Covenant brought us by Jesus Himself.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:54 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
You ain't totally off either. You know you are partly guilty.
LMAO. .... tueche

thanks

Old 08-24-2015, 10:59 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't see anything original in it either. Anyone who agrees with the "Bible is full of errors" argument will get a reputation point and an "amen" from the very same people.
any anybody that slams theist will get them in kind from their group too. I have went to forums and posted exactly the same post and all I did was change the word atheist to theist. reps through the roof. Like I was some type of wisdom walking fool. That's one reason why I use the word atheist in many my post here at CD. people at This site are smarter that your average bear.

that's why zep has a point.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:23 AM

22,167 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Maybe those are not traits to emulate, but that is not the point of ... posts (since that is the topic). It is whether good sound points are made and taken on board. That, rather that dismissal on the basis of a mind slammed shut and glued closed with religious Faith, is a trait to emulate.
in the arena of religion and spirituality, our traits are the only thing that matters
we are a walking talking advertisement for what we believe and how we live

the dismissal of the views is based on the vitriol with which they are spewed. it is not wise or discerning to stay in the vicinity of that which is toxic. the "good sound point" that many subscribe to is that when a person is angry, they lose their wisdom, and they cause harm to their self and to others. I have found that to be the case and it serves me well.

[again, not talking about any individual person, but rather addressing views]

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 08-24-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-24-2015, 11:49 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
hell is darkness
heaven is light

If your soul is in darkness, it will not know GODs light or love. Its a void of no light no real place or any substance.
In darkness all souls, will only keep you in a prison you have created for yourself and the others who live in "hell" where in darkness you destroy yourselves. (If you think about it in those terms, earth is already like hell)

Heaven to be connected to GOD, to share in what it is to live, to have light to have love, communication, joy and the emotions that as a human you identify with. On Earth I believe we live heaven and hell at the same time. We all have our darkness and our light. Once your dead you choice, you would be surprised how many do not know GOD's light or love and find themselves already in darkness.

Old 08-24-2015, 11:58 AM

22,167 posts, read 19,217,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Look at a person's heart. And you can see much more about them and the path they are walking down, if you listen and look for their heart in their words and actions. You can sense fear, anger, and if so, why? Instead of condemning, wonder why... what has caused the fear or anger in this fellow person? You can sense kindness, genuineness, patience, impatience, frustration, gentleness, love. It's what's behind a person's words that really matters, sometimes not even so much as their words. Listen and look at their heart within.

just some ramblings,
peace,
sparrow
this is lovely, thank you

Old 08-24-2015, 12:08 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
in the arena of religion and spirituality, our traits are the only thing that matters
we are a walking talking advertisement for what we believe and how we live

the dismissal of the views is based on the vitriol with which they are spewed. it is not wise or discerning to stay in the vicinity of that which is toxic. the "good sound point" that many subscribe to is that when a person is angry, they lose their wisdom, and they cause harm to their self and to others. I have found that to be the case and it serves me well.

[again, not talking about any individual person, but rather addressing views]
Quite. I do not take any of this as aimed at any one person. And I take the point that the way we come across is more important than perhaps it ought to be, in discussion in the religion area. So I do try to encourage people to be polite and good -humoured in discussion. It is hard when the arguments become footling and dishonest - and they often do - and never mind the good old accusations of closed -mindedness, hard hearts and the ever -present hellthreat.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:35 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,346 times
Genesis 47:11And Joseph placed his father and his brethren, and gave them a possession in the land of Egypt, in the best of the land, in the land of Rameses, as Pharaoh had commanded.

For the OP again; Pharoah is sometimes just called Pharoah. But if you want a clue to the identity, see that verse above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity