U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 06:33 AM

1,897 posts, read 3,034,667 times

Advertisements

When inquiring of God which church he should join, Joseph Smith was supposedly told by God--

"I was answered that I must join none of them, for they ALL were wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that ALL their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were ALL corrupt; that: 'they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.'"

That assessment of other churches persists to this day. Only the Mormon Church has the restored Gospel. Ours is still corrupt.

Preterist
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 07:35 AM

"God himself was ONCE AS WE ARE NOW, and is an EXALTED MAN, and sits enthroned in yonder heavens . . . I say, if you were to see him to-day,you would see him like a man in form--like yourselves, in all the person, image, and VERY FORM AS A MAN--it is necessary that we should understand the character and being of God, and how he CAME TO BE SO; for I am going to tell you how GOD CAME TO BE GOD. We have imagined and supposed that God was God from all eternity. I WILL REFUTE THAT IDEA, and will take away the veil, so that you may see . . . . and that he WAS ONCE A MAN LIKE US; yea, that God himself the Father of us all, DWELT ON EARTH the same as Jesus Christ himself did." (Journal of Discourses, Vol. 6, p. 3).

Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 AM

255 posts, read 541,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
When inquiring of God which church he should join, Joseph Smith was supposedly told by God--

"I was answered that I must join none of them, for they ALL were wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that ALL their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were ALL corrupt; that: 'they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.'"

That assessment of other churches persists to this day. Only the Mormon Church has the restored Gospel. Ours is still corrupt.

Preterist
Yes, except that you transposed two words. It should be "I must join none of them, for they were all wrong." Of course, ALL is not capitalized in the original. I assume you were doing that for emphasis?

Old 01-27-2008, 07:57 PM

1,779 posts, read 6,825,065 times
Mathew 22:15
Then went the Pharisees, and took counsel how they might entangle him in his talk.

Luke 7:30
But the Pharisees and lawyers rejected the counsel of God against themselves, being not baptized of him.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 PM

2,631 posts, read 4,831,021 times
this seems to be a continuation of the 47-page 'mormon belief' thread. i am curious, preterist, and ask in all sincerity if there is a different purpose here? is this meant to be a mormons-come-and-debate thread, or a nonmormons-come-and-learn-about-mormons thread, or what? i don't want others to answer for her, as i will get many varied, and probably sarcastic answers.

preterist, what is your purpose?

Old 01-27-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
this seems to be a continuation of the 47-page 'mormon belief' thread. i am curious, preterist, and ask in all sincerity if there is a different purpose here? is this meant to be a mormons-come-and-debate thread, or a nonmormons-come-and-learn-about-mormons thread, or what? i don't want others to answer for her, as i will get many varied, and probably sarcastic answers.

preterist, what is your purpose?
I was hoping to get Mormons or non-Mormons for that matter to address specific statements by their founders--especially Joseph Smith without whom this entire religion would not exist--and to acknowledge what their church has traditionally believed. Do they agree or disagree?

Did Joseph Smith say these things and if so are they compatible with Christianity? I do not see why that is a matter for offense. I merely quoted some statements from Joseph Smith. If Joseph Smith is the prophet Mormons believe him to be, did he teach truth?

If the Mormon church no longer agrees with statements made by Joseph Smith or Brigham Young, should it not clearly say so? If Mormons adhere to the teachings of Joseph Smith because he was their Prophet and those teachings are found to be in opposition to Christianity, should they continue to insist that they are Christians? These are not difficult questions.

Did Joseph Smith say the things I posted? Do you agree with them?

Preterist

Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 AM

146 posts, read 269,132 times
If you have a message that your Church is a Restoration of the original Church from the time of Christ and the Apostles, then it's just logical. You have to lay claim that such a restoration is needed, otherwise what would the point be? The Mormon Church claims to be exactly that -- a restoration of the original Church founded by Jesus Christ and the Apostles.

Now the fact remains that most of do not feel that such a Restoration was necessary -- or at the very least, if such a Restoration IS necessary, then Mormonism isn't it. Consider the other faiths that were established under a similar premise in the same century: The Seventh Day Adventists and the Jehovah's Witnesses. Both claim to be the correct religion to the exclusion of all others. For that matter, so to does the Catholic Church.

If Christians want to get offended at any group for claiming revelation that "We're right and everyone else is wrong" then there are a lot of denominations that are just as deserving of hostility as the Mormons.

But if we are truly followers of Christ, we will not allow ourselves to be offended by this purported revelation or any other. Besides that fact, why would anyone who believes from the bottom of their heart that this is "false revelation" care? If it is false revelation as most Christianity believes it to be, then what difference does it make? If that is their belief, then I leave them to it. It is not my place to respond in anger or to allow myself to be offended.

There are a lot worse things in this world that one Christian denomination throwing out the claim that they are "God's Only True Church" (a claim staked by MANY denominations.) There is an entire wicked and corrupted world out there. I think that is far more important a matter to focus our righteous indignation upon.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:02 AM

1,313 posts, read 2,726,544 times
Interesting points godofthunder (interesting name BTW) and we spoke of those last night in church. We hosted a memorial for the unborn and a speaker said that we have become a body of Christ that has become a church of finger-pointers rather than a church of loving forgivers and seekers. As you might imagine, a hush fell over the folks there and then an appreciative round of applause. It certainly gave us pause to think about what we are doing in our lives.

Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM

146 posts, read 269,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
Interesting points godofthunder (interesting name BTW)
LOL, preferred handle. If I were a pagan in ancient times, I'd have probably worshipped Thor. Lightning just fascinates me. Proabably seems highly inappropriate for posting on a forum about Christianity, but in the end, it's easier for me to remember.

Quote:
and we spoke of those last night in church. We hosted a memorial for the unborn and a speaker said that we have become a body of Christ that has become a church of finger-pointers rather than a church of loving forgivers and seekers. As you might imagine, a hush fell over the folks there and then an appreciative round of applause. It certainly gave us pause to think about what we are doing in our lives.
Ah, and THAT is the true spirit of Chistianity.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:45 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Did Joseph Smith say the quotes I posted and do you agree with them?

What is so hard about that?

Preterist

Last edited by Alpha8207; 01-29-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or