Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 06:00 PM

33,221 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
So what became of the people of the first 1800 years of Christianity. The ones that rightly believed scripture is allegory?

God makes this decision. Not you. Not me.
You betray your bias by stating that Scripture (presumably all Scripture) is allegory. While Philo (c. 25 B.C - c. A.D 50) adopted an allegorical method of interpreting the Scriptures, it wasn't until Origen (A.D. 185- 253) who had been influenced by Philo that a formal theory of allegorical interpretation of the Scriptures was developed at the school of Alexandria. Later, Augustine was, according to F. W. Farrar, one of the first to make scripture conform to the interpretation of the church (History of Interpretation, pp. 236-37, as noted in 'Things to Come', J. Dwight Pentecost, p. 23). While there were those in the first century who practiced the allegorical method of interpretation, literalism was the accepted method at that time.

While the Bible does contain some allegory as well as other forms of symbolic language, it is a gross error to commit to wholesale allegorization of the Scriptures. A good rule of thumb is that when the plain sense reading of Scripture makes sense, seek no other sense. Accept as literal that which is obviously literal and as allegorical or some other kind of symbolism that which warrants being interpreted as such.

One of the dangers of the allegorical method of interpretation is stated as follows;
Thus, the great dangers inherent in this system are that it takes away the authority of Scripture, leaves us without any basis on which interpretations may be tested, reduced Scripture to what seems reasonable to the interpreter, and, as a result, makes true interpretation of Scripture impossible. [Things to Come, p. 6]
When a person chooses to take everything in the Bible as allegory then he can make it mean anything he wants it to mean without regard for the meaning that the writer of Scripture intended to convey. And what is important is what the writer of Scripture intended to be understood.

You are quite right that God makes the decision. However, God has revealed in the Scriptures through the human writers of the Bible, the fact that the believer in Christ Jesus goes to heaven when he dies. Scripture has previously been shown in prior posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:04 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,144 times
The kingdom of heaven is at hand.

"The heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament proclaim the works of His hand."

"No one has gone up to heaven except the one who came down from heaven, the son of man."

"Not everyone who cries to me Lord, Lord shall enter the kingdom of heaven but only those who do the will of my heavenly Father."

The one who comes from above is above all. He who is of the world thinks like the world and speaks in a worldly way but the One who comes from heaven, he testifies to what he has seen and heard but nobody believes him. If anyone does believe they render the truth of God. For the one who is sent by God he speaks the words of God. His gift of the spirit is not rationed.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:26 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,016,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Absolutely Pretty obvious for those who believe and trust the God revealed in scripture ! ---
It's pretty obvious that you don't believe it...

Quote:
When one rejects God's 'truth standard' in favor of their own perception of 'god' and their own human reasoning, confusion always reigns!
Which is what you have done, and most have also...

Old 08-28-2015, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Jesus used ' knowable ' terms. Such as: sleep in death - John 11:11-14
' sleep in death ' is what the old Hebrew Scriptures explain - Ecclesiastes 9:5; Psalms 115:17; 146:4

Jesus believed ' sleep in death ' was worth knowing so we would know there is only sleep in death.
No postmortem penalty as the false clergy teach.
When the KJV Bible was translated into English the word Gehenna became hellfire.
Gehenna was simply a garbage pit where things were destroyed and Not kept burning forever.
So, Gehenna is a good symbol for ' everlasting destruction ' such as in the wicked being destroyed forever - Psalm 92:7
Exactly...Analogous...

Old 08-28-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopHillers View Post
Can any of the believers in this forum offer any evidence for their positions?

PS: The Bible doesn't count as evidence. That's a piece of man made fiction.
Then why are you here?...

Old 08-28-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
No, since I'm sure there's no heaven, although I understand that people like to believe it because it comforts them.
Comforts them how?...

Old 08-28-2015, 06:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
"Dying in your sin" is a spiritual transformation which occurs when a person is born-again in Christ. You become a New creature. The old creature who dwelt in Hell is no more. His torment is burned away for all eternity.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:57 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
You should probably re-read what I actually wrote.
I'm not sure that would accomplish much since I actually quoted you and I needed to read what you said in order to do so.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:58 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Jesus said Heaven is like unto a man casting net into the sea and when he has drawn it out begins to divide the good from the bad the useful from the useless.
Matthew 7;21,22, 23 13;47,-49, 21;19-
John 3; 4, 5, 6, -16,17,18 John 14; -15;
God has an intolerance to non productivity, and fraud .
The productivity God expects is obedience.
Jesus made this possible, providing the Holy Spirit to teach and guide in God's will in His place.
This is the message I live, and share, as told .
This life is an under writers lab test ,to divide out those that fit God's specifications .
My hearts desire is to obey God and earn His trust for responsibilities on an eternal basis. (not just this life)
God required man to work for a reason.
Because eternity is not sitting on you butt an doin nuthin .

Old 08-28-2015, 07:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
You should probably re-read what I actually wrote.
They need to quit taking scripture out of context, the immediate and larger context and ... giving meaning to words that are wrong.

Paul said:
2 Cor. 5:8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

He did not say that would be instantaneous, he said he preferred it. He knew that 1st resurrection was a later event and even Jesus confirmed that when he raised Lazarus and he would know.

John 11:23-25 23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again. 24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day. 25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

Jesus agreed he did not contradict her.

Paul knew:

.Acts 24:15 15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.

NIV Acts 24:15 and I have the same hope in God as these men, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

It was a future event as he also said:

KJV 1 Thessalonians 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a (1 )shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

The dead are ... dead/asleep and are not aware of anything. If they died 3000 years ago, 2000, 1000, 500 it makes no difference to them as they are asleep and do not know of the passing of time. When resurrected it will be like no time passed.

People believe their teachers not what the Bible actually teaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity