U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 07:04 PM

2,710 posts, read 3,148,166 times

Advertisements

How are these groups different? How are they the same? Do they all Baptize in a tub? Which is the most conservative? Mu uncle is a member of one where they don't permit musical instruments.

An employee of mine invited us to his church and they had very upbeat music and they seemed moderate and people dressed casually. This was a Disciples of Christ church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 10:34 PM

12,920 posts, read 4,959,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
How are these groups different? How are they the same? Do they all Baptize in a tub? Which is the most conservative? Mu uncle is a member of one where they don't permit musical instruments.

An employee of mine invited us to his church and they had very upbeat music and they seemed moderate and people dressed casually. This was a Disciples of Christ church.
Ask Google.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:54 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,479,945 times
I grew up in the Church of Christ. C of C does not consider itself to be associated in any way, shape, or form with United C of C or Disciples of Christ, or any other denomination for that matter. C of C does not believe in using instrumental music so is likely your uncle's church. There are several branches, all with the same name, most will not fellowship the others as they disagree on some minor points. It is a very legalistic belief system.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ask Google.
No. I am asking here. Theoretically, if everyone asked Google, half of CD questions would be gone.

I was hoping to hear from others with experience with these groups.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
I grew up in the Church of Christ. C of C does not consider itself to be associated in any way, shape, or form with United C of C or Disciples of Christ, or any other denomination for that matter. C of C does not believe in using instrumental music so is likely your uncle's church. There are several branches, all with the same name, most will not fellowship the others as they disagree on some minor points. It is a very legalistic belief system.

Thank you for this information. Would you say that this group has cult like tendencies?

Your response has been helpful. That is the group that my uncle and aunt adhere to.

Old 09-05-2015, 02:29 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,479,945 times
Quote:
Thank you for this information. Would you say that this group has cult like tendencies?

Your response has been helpful. That is the group that my uncle and aunt adhere to.

Yes, I would absolutely say it has some cult-like tendencies. Such as, they are the only true church. Even the other C of C branches have it all wrong. Only members of the true church are considered true believers and fellowshipped as equals.

The overall culture is one of judgment. Judgment of the world at large, judgment of denominational churches and what is wrong with their doctrines, judgment of their members and what might be sinful in their lives. The emphasis is all on what you should not do, rather than what you should.

But I would not go so far as to say they are a cult. There is no particular person who's authority is recognized and word is followed. A cult always has a leader with special divine knowledge of some sort.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:54 PM

4,097 posts, read 1,468,932 times
Quote:

You can search in all 33,000 trinity based religions( Mark 3:24-26), you wont find 1 that teaches what Jesus taught.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:56 PM

3,295 posts, read 4,628,845 times
United Church of Christ is very socially and theologically liberal. The Obama's were members.

Disciples of Christ are somewhat fundamentalist and they incorporate the communion sacrament at every Sunday worship. They are concentrated especially in Kentucky

Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 AM

15,580 posts, read 7,042,470 times
Quote:

Petunia did a fair job of describing the Dhurch of Christ, in which I also grew up. To illustrate some of the "branches" she mentioned, there are some groups that decided that dividing the communion wine (new wine, or grape juice to be precise) into individual cups was not "biblical," so they pass a single cup and are known to the rest as "one cuppers." Another group decided that having a permanent paid pastor was not biblical so they didn't and strangely enough their meetings seemed to be a lot like "silent worship" except that every once in ashile someone led congregational singing. There were some that would not support a group project such as an orphanage that was not completely supported and administered by one congregation, and of course each congregation was completely independent.
I should mention that the Church of Christ and the Christian church were once together and know generally as "Campbellites" after the brothers who originated the basic "restoration" ideas. They split over instrumental music and missionary societies as I recall.
Sorry, I know nothing of the others.

Interestingly enough Mark Twain had a story about one of the Campbells who held a revival in a town where MT was a printer's apprentice. The locals decided that they would like to publish the revivla sermons in a book and the task of setting up a book (very complicated to do) fell to MT's shop and they labored mightily only to find an error in proofing that required resetting. The job would have required redoing several pages of close type unless they abbreviated "Jesus Christ" in one spot to "J C," so they did it and snt the book to Campbell for proofing. Shortly he came in furious and demanded that they Use the Full Name of Christ in every reference. One of the apprentices took the task on himself and sent the others off to play... When the book was printed every reference to Jesus read "Jesus H. Christ."

Last edited by nateswift; 09-30-2017 at 05:20 AM..

Old 09-30-2017, 09:50 AM

13,469 posts, read 21,238,019 times
I was member of the CofC for well over 40 years. I don't belong there any more or any other religious organization.
This branch of the Church of Christ boasts they are the original Church established AD32, and they usually have a sign over the door to prove it.
They practice autonomy, and do not fellowship with the other CofC'
They believe the bible is the living word of God and everything contained in the Bible is accurate and true.
They practice full immersion baptism, and if you have been baptized by any other denomination of Christianity they say "it didn't work" and they will have to rebaptize you.
They believe in the Trinity
They believe in a fiery everlasting hell for unrepentant sinners.
The Lords Supper is served every Sunday morning and evening and a collection is taken up. Most of these individual churches encourage a tithe of 10% and the Lord will take care of you if it takes food from your table.
They believe you have to closely follow the "Planof Salvation" which is to Hear Gods word (the bible),Believe, repent and be baptized to be worthy of entering Heaven after the judgement.
Hell fire and damnation are preached especially at the end of a service when they give an "invitation" to come to the Lord(this usually scares the children) some of these churches decide if you are "ready" to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior" before you can be baptized.

They split over instrumental music and do not believe in "making a joyful noise to the Lord" (except for the men in the "amen corner"

They are legalistic. You hear more about what "Paul said", than what Jesus said and did.

The women are trained to be submissive to husbands and are encouraged to 'love, honor and obey" the head of the house ( the husband). Although the husband is encouraged to be worthy of this obedience from his wife, who also looses the freedom to participate in any official capacity of the Church, because "Paul said".

Women are not allowed to speak during any service, or hold any office in the running of the church, but she can sing in the choir if they have one and she has a good voice

Women are allowed to take care of the Nursery during worship service, cook the fellowship dinners,help clean the church and clean up after the men distribute the Communion symbols, but she is never allowed to serve the communion.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 09-30-2017 at 11:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or