Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 06:31 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Have you a verse that states CLEARLY, that homosexuality is wrong? I know you don't because the word "homosexuality" wasn't even put into English Bibles until 1946. The translator is ever the traitor, and fools are always easy to dupe.
oh sure. this coming from the man who had no qualms about telling me that i have substantially less than a Sunday school understanding of Scripture and am basically uneducated. y'all have been shown the verses time and time again and yet you and your friends continue to reject them in favor of a feel-good doctrine that minimizes the penalties for sin; where the Gospel is not about sin and redemption but is basically a spiritual path of social justice and which contains a universalism belief that pretty much says everyone will go to heaven ("The fear that there is one train to God and if you aren’t on the right train, you’ll go to hell. We believe there are many trains and God welcomes them all". this from the United church of Christ which claims to be progressive). well, personally, i don't want any part of your progressive doctrine, thank you. sorry, but that's not the Gospel i know and understand and i will not have any part in this thread any longer. to the mod: you can remove all of my posts if you like because i will not be coming back.

Old 01-15-2019, 06:36 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
oh sure. this coming from the man who had no qualms about telling me that i have substantially less than a Sunday school understanding of Scripture and am basically uneducated. y'all have been shown the verses time and time again and yet you and your friends continue to reject them in favor of a feel-good doctrine that minimizes the penalties for sin; where the Gospel is not about sin and redemption but is basically a spiritual path of social justice and which contains a universalism belief that pretty much says everyone will go to heaven ("The fear that there is one train to God and if you aren’t on the right train, you’ll go to hell. We believe there are many trains and God welcomes them all". this from the United church of Christ which claims to be progressive). well, personally, i don't want any part of your progressive doctrine, thank you. sorry, but that's not the Gospel i know and understand and i will not have any part in this thread any longer. to the mod: you can remove all of my posts if you like because i will not be coming back.
And that's what this forum has come to. People that actually are Christians and believe the Bible are being chased off.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:31 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden
Have you a verse that states CLEARLY, that homosexuality is wrong? I know you don't because the word "homosexuality" wasn't even put into English Bibles until 1946. The translator is ever the traitor, and fools are always easy to dupe.
Quote:
oh sure. this coming from the man who had no qualms about telling me that i have substantially less than a Sunday school understanding of Scripture and am basically uneducated.
As far as the Bible is concerned, I think Warden is correct. You DO come across in your posts as having substantially less than a Sunday school understanding of scripture. But, you're not alone.

Quote:
y'all have been shown the verses time and time again and yet you and your friends continue to reject them in favor of a feel-good doctrine that minimizes the penalties for sin; where the Gospel is not about sin and redemption but is basically a spiritual path of social justice and which contains a universalism belief that pretty much says everyone will go to heaven ("The fear that there is one train to God and if you aren’t on the right train, you’ll go to hell. We believe there are many trains and God welcomes them all". this from the United church of Christ which claims to be progressive).
I've approached - or, at least, have attempted to approach - this topic from a scriptural perspective since day one. I'm not a part of any 'progressive' church, nor do I have any interest in any 'feel good' doctrines as you suggest. And, 'we' HAVE NOT been shown verses time and time again that, presumably, condemn homosexuality. If we had been shown such verses I wouldn't be silly enough to keep coming back here time after time to refute something that I've clearly been shown to be wrong ...such as biblical condemnation of homosexual people. Here are the facts: There are, at most, a half-dozen passages in the ENTIRE Bible that relate to same-gender sexual practices. And, as a lay Bible scholar, I've determined (as have others) through study that NONE of those texts apply to homosexuality as we today understand the term. Common sense reasoning would - or should - tell you that since it's only in recent times that modern society has managed to come to grips with human sexuality that the ancients would CERTAINLY have had no clue what human sexuality was all about.

Quote:
well, personally, i don't want any part of your progressive doctrine, thank you. sorry, but that's not the Gospel i know and understand and i will not have any part in this thread any longer. to the mod: you can remove all of my posts if you like because i will not be coming back.
Well, to 'cut and run' is the better part of valor, I guess, when facts start to pile up against inaccurate beliefs. As for your question regarding any favorable mention in the Bible concerning homosexuality and gay marriage ...there ARE none. How could there be any mention - favorable or otherwise - of something that the ancient writers have no concept of? If you feel that this somehow gives 'your side' an ego boost then that's of no concern to me. All I know is that the Bible DOES NOT refer to 'homosexuality' per se (perhaps as worship practice within the context of pagan idolatry and temple prostitution) because - how many times must this be said? - the ancient writers would have had NO concept of the diversities surrounding human sexuality.

Old 01-15-2019, 08:44 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
i do have one more thing to say so please hear me out. before i posted my last piece, i was so frustrated and angry at wardendresden and all of the progressive people here for all of the endless bickering and arguing going on back and forth that i actually was ready to lash out and say some pretty nasty things to him. praise God though that His Spirit moved upon me and calmed me down and made me think about how my comments would affect others here, not just the people i was angry at but also the "fundies", as some like to call them. the Holy Spirit moved upon me to show me again, that getting angry never solves anything nor does constant bickering and arguing lead to any kind of resolution...it always creates more and more tension, anger and hurt feelings. i got on my knees and thanked God that He intervened on me, not only on my behalf but on behalf of everyone here on this thread.

i meant what i said about the teachings. however, the Bible states that we must all work out our salvation with fear and trembling, meaning that each one of us is responsible for our own relationship with God and no one else can do that for us. i stand in awe and reverence of God for the grace and mercy He has shown me but that also time and time again, He teaches me lessons that i need to learn in order to become a better follower of Christ. i am in no way a perfect human being, never claimed to be and never will be in this life but i know the lessons i learn from Him will guide me in the right direction. with that being said, i apologize to wardendresden for the anger in my heart toward him and pray that not only he and i, but all of us can move on from the frustrations and ill-feelings that have permeated this thread since its inception. i can't imagine the Lord is very happy with us when we act this way. i hope for better things for all of you and may you all be richly blessed. goodbye

Old 01-15-2019, 09:39 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And that's what this forum has come to. People that actually are Christians and believe the Bible are being chased off.
No, BaptistFundie. There are too many demands, too many questions being laid on you that you cannot appropriately handle. I sense that, deep down, you know that you're wrong in your cherished beliefs about the Bible and homosexuality but you're too proud to admit this. So, there are only two alternatives, 1. to dig in your heels and play on, or, 2. to depart from the topic. You, BF, have shown me NOTHING to indicate - not the slightest smidgin' - that my particular take on the so-called 'clobber texts' of the Bible are inaccurate. And, 'my take' is that they DO NOT reference 'homosexuality' as we today define the term.

As you've been shown many times throughout the course of this thread, the actual terms 'homosexual' and 'homosexuality' - or any EQUIVALENT term in Hebrew, Aramaic of Greek - WERE NOT a part of the writings of scripture until 1946. Those are the FACTS and they are undisputed. Yes, as has also been acknowledged, same gender sexual practices ARE mentioned in perhaps a half-dozen places in the ENTIRE Bible but NONE of these texts refer to 'homosexuality' per se - nor are they an across the board condemnation of same-gender attracted people - as you so militantly keep saying. Do you honestly think that I would not agree with you if I believed that you were right? I have no particular dog in this fight except to clarify what the scriptures DO say and, more importantly, what the scriptures DON'T say about this topic.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:27 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,910 times
Quote:
Woosies

Old 01-16-2019, 05:18 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
oh sure. this coming from the man who had no qualms about telling me that i have substantially less than a Sunday school understanding of Scripture and am basically uneducated.
They make such comments with the sole purpose if upsetting you, and by doing that they hope to provoke an angry response from you. Unfortunately that is all they ever do these days, which is why many posters have dusted their sandals and left this forum.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 01-16-2019 at 06:29 AM..

Old 01-16-2019, 05:56 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They make such comments with the sole purpose if upsetting you by doing that they hope to provoke an angry response from you. Unfortunately that is all they ever do these days, which is why many posters have dusted their sandals and left this forum.
Proving you haven't got the God given ability to remain in the Spirit and respond in it. The truth is, you don't have answers, so you walk away with your tail between your legs, that is what putting your trust in what is written in ink does for you, it is the spirit of the letter you should seek to understand.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:24 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
You just like to keep playing these Bible twisting games.....
feel free to stop and start using god'sword as it should be...

Old 01-16-2019, 06:31 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
STRANGE, but not one single verse mentions anything about homosexuality NOR does it mention heterosexuality...WHY?

Gay folks are not demanding MORE RIGHTS, JUST EQUAL RIGHTS...aka THE SAME RIGHTS ALL PEOPLE HAVE,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Examples have been supplied to demonstrate that the gay life style is forbidden. It is sin as grotesque in God's eyes as any other sin. The problem with gays is their hypocrisy. They believe their particular sin is excused in some way. When the Bible says all have sinned it means all. It's not rocket science, but it's the truth.

Scripture has been supplied earlier to prove God hates the sin of homosexuality. The problem isn't sufficiency of evidence, its suppression of it.

but I digress....

You want Biblical proof I'll give your a couple more;

This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. - Jesus as quoted by John 3:19

The darkness Jesus spoke of was the darkness of refusal to accept God's revealed truth. Here's another one;

Then Jesus said to his disciples, "Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. - Matthew 16:24

All have sinned (Romans 3:23) and all must bear the consequences of it so as to be disciples of Christ unto salvation and eternal life.

There are no exceptions for gays, military heroes, politicians, wealthy folks, celebrities, pious types, minority groups, or middle class white Americans.

Until and unless the sinner recognizes he or she is a sinner and comes humbly to God asking for forgiveness - none will be granted.

Claiming love as an excuse for wickedness and self-indulgence isn't sufficient currency in the kingdom of heaven to buy a breath of air.

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who submit to or perform homosexual acts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor verbal abusers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God." - 1 Corinthians 6:9 & 10

Did you read the above quote? Did you notice that it included several types of sinner as well as than homosexuals? Are gays singled out? They are not. They are guilty of sin as much as anyone else. Their problem is that they deny it so vehemently. Denial of guilt is not absolution.

I'd like to propose a question of my own.

Why do gays think they are better or deserving of greater privilege than anyone else?

Please supply scripture quotes to justify the attitude.

Now is the time to repent and seek mercy and forgiveness from God in the name of Jesus Christ.
All have sinned.
All can be forgiven - but only if they ask for it.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

PS
I once had a very good friend in High School. After graduation we went our separate ways. During my enlistment in the military I received a newspaper clipping from my mother. My high school friend had come out as gay and had been murdered in a sleazy hotel room by his gay partner. Are gays somehow better than other folks? They certainly are not, but we always read in the newspaper about crimes against gays - not about crimes gays perpetrate upon one another. This is nothing less than propagandistic suppression of the truth that gays are NOT morally superior to the rest of humanity. The Bible says they are sinners like all the rest. Refusal to admit it doesn't change the truth. Gays are sinners.
Quote:
You just like to keep playing these Bible twisting games.....
Strange that my bible has Corinthians 6:9 not mentioning HOMOSEXUALITY?

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 New International Version (NIV)
9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

But it does mention SEX acts...seems like outside of a committed relationship? or does the mention of ADULTERER mean HETEROSEXUAL acts are also a sin?

So who is playing bible twisting games?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity