Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And you know this........how? Don't tell me Jesus told you--because God said otherwise in the Bible. He has already stated that he condemns homosexuality. Why would you believe he contradicts himself?
So you simply didn't understand that I was talking about the context within which the specific injunction was issued as one of condemnation of pagan worship? About the idea that a loving God would issue any injunction on a whim rather than as an alert that something is actually harmful to us either personally or in the context of our society compared to the fact that a same sex committed relationship has no more intrinsic associated harm than a heterosexual one? The idea that the spirit of God's love would not have us do the real harm a misunderstanding of the nature of such a relationship would do to the people involved?

Are you capable of empathetic thought on these issues?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:03 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,194,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So you simply didn't understand that I was talking about the context within which the specific injunction was issued as one of condemnation of pagan worship? About the idea that a loving God would issue any injunction on a whim rather than as an alert that something is actually harmful to us either personally or in the context of our society compared to the fact that a same sex committed relationship has no more intrinsic associated harm than a heterosexual one? The idea that the spirit of God's love would not have us do the real harm a misunderstanding of the nature of such a relationship would do to the people involved?

Are you capable of empathetic thought on these issues?

Isn't it something that some (not you of course) make GOD to be some kind of "monster".
One only has to ask GOD for forgiveness for all that offends GOD and mean it and GOD will forgive and if not GOD has mercy but I don't want to solely depend on that.

The Bible says a lot of things (even about same sex relationships) which even I have to either try to take seriously or dismiss because it either doesn't make sense or contradicts itself that makes me doubt a lot in that book even though many say it's GOD'S book but it's written by man.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:06 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
God declared the practice of homosexuality to be an abomination. You can sugar-coat it any way you'd wish, but he doesn't have a very high opinion of it.

Now, before anyone gets all bent out of shape and calls me a hater. It's not hatred to simply say what the bible teaches. I don't bash gay people, I don't go around insulting them, I don't believe they're second-class citizens. I don't mistreat them. They're people. Just like me, just like everyone else. But God DOES have a better plan for people than homosexuality. He desires us to live holy lives.
Nah, I don't agree. It was people who did, not God. I really don't think God has any concern with what we eat or how we dress or our sexual habits in and of themselves. That's humanity talking.

We are never going to have a meeting of the minds on this one.

I don't see how being homosexual precludes living a holy life.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:26 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nah, I don't agree. It was people who did, not God. I really don't think God has any concern with what we eat or how we dress or our sexual habits in and of themselves. That's humanity talking.

We are never going to have a meeting of the minds on this one.

I don't see how being homosexual precludes living a holy life.
OK.....suppose I say it does. How you going to prove me wrong? What authority will you appeal to?

Old 07-19-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
And you know this........how? Don't tell me Jesus told you--because God said otherwise in the Bible. He has already stated that he condemns homosexuality. Why would you believe he contradicts himself?
God didn't say anything in the Bible. People said what they thought God would have wanted to say.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:34 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
God didn't say anything in the Bible. People said what they thought God would have wanted to say.

Amazing how many people don't get that.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
OK.....suppose I say it does. How you going to prove me wrong? What authority will you appeal to?
Why do I have to prove you wrong? I can't change your mind.

But here's part of the problem, found in your own words: The idea that there even IS a "right" and "wrong" regarding matters that don't harm others. The idea that God is about "authority".

I don't see God as some kind of authority. Why do you? Isn't "authority" a human construct?

Old 07-19-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Why do I have to prove you wrong? I can't change your mind.

But here's part of the problem, found in your own words: The idea that there even IS a "right" and "wrong" regarding matters that don't harm others. The idea that God is about "authority".

I don't see God as some kind of authority. Why do you? Isn't "authority" a human construct?
Because he said so?

Old 07-19-2018, 04:04 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
It's not only strange, but sad that you are unable to actually read what I wrote.

I never said gay people aren't people. They're normal, human beings. They are just like me in so many ways. I've never said otherwise. So please spare me the self-righteous garbage.
Can gay people, actively gay people, be active Christians, able to stand in the pulpit, play and create Christian music, and teach in Sunday School

How you answer, or avoid answering, will let us all know who is self-righteous.

And you would never be a part of this, would you?

Quote:
Singer and songwriter Knapp revealed her sexuality in an interview with Christianity Today back in April 2010. She has since spoke out openly about her experiences coming out in the Christian music world.
“It never occurred to me that I was in something that should be labeled as a ‘struggle,’” Knapp said during the Christianity Today interview. “The struggle I’ve had has been with the church, acknowledging me as a human being, trying to live the spiritual life that I've been called to, in whatever ramshackled, broken, frustrated way that I've always approached my faith.”
Knapp started her career in 1994, selling over a million records between 1998 and 2002. But when she came out eight years later, many fans shunned her. Christian music stations stopped playing her music and bookstores took her albums off the shelves, according to Forbes.
http://southfloridagaynews.com/Music...musicians.html

Old 07-19-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Can gay people, actively gay people, be active Christians, able to stand in the pulpit, play and create Christian music, and teach in Sunday School

How you answer, or avoid answering, will let us all know who is self-righteous.
None of those activities determine if a person is a human being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity