Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 01:44 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Anything that doesn’t match God’s original definition.
Your god allowed many OT characters to have multiple wives, in fact, he endorsed it.

Exodus 21:10 gives the rules for taking another wife. In 2 Samuel 12:7–9, your god even said that he would've given David more wives if the ones he had weren't enough.

I can go on, but would be flooding this post. There is no question that your god approved of polygamy.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:47 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,732,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by werit View Post
Cherry Picking - that is the term you are looking for.

Gays - still bad

Tattoo Prohibition - no longer applicable

Mixed Fiber Clothing - cancelled, God is now down with cotton/poly blends

Sacrificing turtle doves at the end of your menstrual cycle - its all good, God says just buy a latte instead
Not cherry picking at all when you understand the rational behind the laws. God did not want His people to intermingle and adopt the ways of the pagans so He created these laws only for the Isarelites. They are culture dependent like the laws regarding cattle. We don't roam in tribes anymore tending to cattle. Jesus said He came to fullfill the Law. Know what that means? You should before you throw out these charges of cherry picking.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
J

And that is only one law that convicts YOU of YOUR sin.
The verse of Scripture you truly need to be concerned with is what Jesus is warning YOU about:
(Mark 7:20-22).

Gays don't CHOOSE to be gay, but you certainly CHOOSE to call it a sin, rather than exercise the grace of Jesus.

God wrote the LAW for YOU to be convicted of your sins. Your continued attempt to lord it over those you consider your lessers (remember your quote about gays waving it in your face with gay pride parades?), is simply evidence of your hubris, lack of biblical comprehension, and spiritual ugliness.
Yup, God knows you can't read the Bible so He sent me to make it much more evident to you who you really are! (Ya know? )

Until you can make a post that is not a direct personal assault against me, I have nothing more to say to you. I've had my fill of your judgmental lies and mockery.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:55 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The Law was multi-faceted. Some of it was laws involving issues of morality. Others had to do with rules to keep the Israelites separate from other pagan laws. Hence laws regarding clothing or appearance. To say mixing fibers much be immoral would be like saying it is immoral to use the toilet and not bury your feces away from camp. There is no more camp. It was only applicable for a certain time and place. Moral laws though never change.
They do change over time and have, you don't see an adulterer being stoned to death.
Although, there are still places in this country where a three-year prison sentence is valid.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:56 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
They do change over time and have, you don't see an adulterer being stoned to death.
Although, there are still places in this country where a three-year prison sentence is valid.
No--because we don't live under the Mosaic Law. That passage wasn't written to us. It never was.

It amazes me that you guys can't comprehend the simple concept of context.

If I write a love letter to my wife, do you believe that the same letter applies to anyone that might possibly pick it up to read it? Or only to the one that I wrote it to?

Old 11-20-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Not cherry picking at all when you understand the rational behind the laws. God did not want His people to intermingle and adopt the ways of the pagans so He created these laws only for the Isarelites. They are culture dependent like the laws regarding cattle. We don't roam in tribes anymore tending to cattle. Jesus said He came to fulfill the Law. Know what that means? You should before you throw out these charges of cherry picking.
Men set the laws, and have altered them over time.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
No--because we don't live under the Mosaic Law. That passage wasn't written to us. It never was.

It amazes me that you guys can't comprehend the simple concept of context.

If I write a love letter to my wife, do you believe that the same letter applies to anyone that might possibly pick it up to read it? Or only to the one that I wrote it to?
Now that the laws have changed, are you willing or are you saying that I must abide in what you believe?

Old 11-20-2018, 02:04 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,015,135 times
Quote:
Now that the laws have changed, are you willing or are you saying that I must abide in what you believe?
I have NEVER suggested that homosexuals should be stoned or that it's evil based on the Leviticus verses alone.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Your god allowed many OT characters to have multiple wives, in fact, he endorsed it.

Exodus 21:10 gives the rules for taking another wife. In 2 Samuel 12:7–9, your god even said that he would've given David more wives if the ones he had weren't enough.

I can go on, but would be flooding this post. There is no question that your god approved of polygamy.
If we go with your position then you have the problem of Deut 17:17 which is firmly against taking multiple wives giving the consequence of turning one's heart away from God. God permitted a number of things. That doesn't mean He endorsed or desired them. God doesn't like war yet He helped His people fight and win bloody battles. There is a difference.

Also the Samuel verse is translated more along the lines of taking care of someone. God entrusted David to take care of Saul's wives in a non-sexual way because a woman without a husband in this time and place could mean a death sentence since women were completely dependent on man for their needs. It has nothing to do with the being one flesh marriage design in Genesis.

Old 11-20-2018, 02:15 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Fundies still working hard keeping the fires of hatred stoked.

I wonder who they'd hate most if there were no gays?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity