Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 04:53 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
well, let's hope it's some respect for one another despite any differences we may have. i know that's what i would hope for.
I can't speak for Trout. I don't respect the mindset that condemns people based on their sexual orientation, so if that's what you're hoping for, it's never going to come from me. You base your condemnation on passages that are highly disputable, in books written thousands of years ago, by fallible men, in times and cultures in which men subjugated women, children and male "enemies" sexually as if it was their God-given right to do so. So to act as if you speak on behalf of God rather than your own ideas, when there are homosexual people sharing their stories about the damage done to them by such ideas, makes your position in this regard unworthy of respect.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:16 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I can't speak for Trout. I don't respect the mindset that condemns people based on their sexual orientation, so if that's what you're hoping for, it's never going to come from me. You base your condemnation on passages that are highly disputable, in books written thousands of years ago, by fallible men, in times and cultures in which men subjugated women, children and male "enemies" sexually as if it was their God-given right to do so. So to act as if you speak on behalf of God rather than your own ideas, when there are homosexual people sharing their stories about the damage done to them by such ideas, makes your position in this regard unworthy of respect.
Summarizes the 4280 posts that came before it.

Old 11-23-2018, 05:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
In this instance, you can - and did - very well.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:29 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,711 times
Quote:
well then, that's on you. personally, i choose not to hate or condemn others because that is not what the Bible teaches me to do. if my adherence to the Scriptures, which i believe are God-breathed, are offensive to you, that is something i cannot change either. if you choose to hate me because i believe in God and regard His Word of utmost importance to me, so be it.

Jesus states in John 15: 18-24 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates Me hates My Father also. If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father."

sorry you feel this way but we both know that we are not going to change our positions. i will still preach the Gospel no matter how many people hate me and hate God and will do so until the day i'm called home to be with Jesus. too bad it has to be this way though.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:30 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,905,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur
Well, let's hope it's some respect for one another despite any differences we may have. i know that's what i would hope for.
Quote:
There's no fake backslapping intended here, but, as Mighty Queen said, this ^^^ post pretty much summarizes the several thousand posts that came before it.

Y'know ...I wonder what it would take for urbanlemur, Jeff, BaptistFundie and the few others of similar mindsets to actually reconsider their position on this subject? There have certainly been enough well thought out reasons offered via the many posts on this thread to get them to rethink their professed 'beliefs'. Could it be pride or sheer dogged tenacity getting in the way? Could it be the consequences from compromise or acceptance of homosexuality they fear based on their belief in eternal torment for those who don't toe the line? How terrible to be held in the grip of fear of the very One they so adamantly claim 'loves them'!

Anyway, I'm truly interested to know what makes such people tick and as to why some SO FIRMLY continue to dig in their heels, even in the face of mounting evidence that clearly shows them to be in the wrong.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:48 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
well then, that's on you. personally, i choose not to hate or condemn others because that is not what the Bible teaches me to do. if my adherence to the Scriptures, which i believe are God-breathed, are offensive to you, that is something i cannot change either. if you choose to hate me because i believe in God and regard His Word of utmost importance to me, so be it.

Jesus states in John 15: 18-24 “If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin. He who hates Me hates My Father also. If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father."

sorry you feel this way but we both know that we are not going to change our positions. i will still preach the Gospel no matter how many people hate me and hate God and will do so until the day i'm called home to be with Jesus. too bad it has to be this way though.
Another fundie drunk on the "great commission." The JWs love that verse from John-Boy too.

I'm never quite sure if the inability to think rationally is a curse or a blessing.

Perspective is everything.

Old 11-23-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Another fundie drunk on the "great commission." The JWs love that verse from John-Boy too.

I'm never quite sure if the inability to think rationally is a curse or a blessing.

Perspective is everything.
my perspective is Spirit-based which is completely different than man-based perspective and that suits me just fine, thank you. i wouldn't have it any other way, regardless of what others think of me.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
There's no fake backslapping intended here, but, as Mighty Queen said, this ^^^ post pretty much summarizes the several thousand posts that came before it.

Y'know ...I wonder what it would take for urbanlemur, Jeff, BaptistFundie and the few others of similar mindsets to actually reconsider their position on this subject? There have certainly been enough well thought out reasons offered via the many posts on this thread to get them to rethink their professed 'beliefs'. Could it be pride or sheer dogged tenacity getting in the way? Could it be the consequences from compromise or acceptance of homosexuality they fear based on their belief in eternal torment for those who don't toe the line? How terrible to be held in the grip of fear of the very One they so adamantly claim 'loves them'!

Anyway, I'm truly interested to know what makes such people tick and as to why some SO FIRMLY continue to dig in their heels, even in the face of mounting evidence that clearly shows them to be in the wrong.
it has nothing to do with pride but everything to do with God-breathed Scripture that has stood the test of time for centuries. the Bible prophecies that many will attempt to mislead many by corrupting and rewriting what is holy but on the flip side, there are several verses which address those who attempt to do so and i would advise against it since i certainly would not want to be on the wrong side of judgment day.

Old 11-23-2018, 07:26 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
it has nothing to do with pride but everything to do with God-breathed Scripture that has stood the test of time for centuries. the Bible prophecies that many will attempt to mislead many by corrupting and rewriting what is holy but on the flip side, there are several verses which address those who attempt to do so and i would advise against it since i certainly would not want to be on the wrong side of judgment day.
The misleading happened centuries ago, and many were already corrupted.
It's not a new revelation but one that is obvious, if you took the time to see.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:01 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
my perspective is Spirit-based which is completely different than man-based perspective and that suits me just fine, thank you. i wouldn't have it any other way, regardless of what others think of me.
So why does the Spirit lead people to contradicting conclusions? Case in pint, my views are somewhat different than yours, to put it politely.

If we are both confessing to being lead by the Spirit, and we are polar opposite in our beliefs and teachings, how do you, me or any one know who is either lying, deceived, or just total looney-tunes?

You cannot play quote that scripture because we both know what the "devil" can do.

So unless you are willing to toss down a few miracles or raise the dead, that is not a valid litmus test either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity