Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2018, 02:19 PM

10,073 posts, read 5,691,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
So, you are sticking by the whole, "All gay people have unsafe anal sex" line, even though it is patently false???
Let's stick to reality, shall we? Unless you have proof that most gay couples are not engaging in these dangerous sexual practices. The stats say otherwise.

Quote:

Also, please, do explain how being gay is harmful for someone mentally. Because the only thing I can see as "harmful" about being gay is having to deal with ignorant bigots who would rather you be dead than walking amongst the "good people" having equal rights and whatnot. In other words, the only thing "harmful" about being gay, is the people who make it that way for them.
If a person decided they wanted to go around wearing only underwear outside in the winter and faced some ridicule as well as getting sick from cold, would you say it's only the people who are causing the harm?

Quote:

You know, the ones that call them abominations, and say they shouldn't be able to be served by Christians or get married to their loved one. Or the ones who say hateful things when they see them holding hands, or showing any PDA at all. How about the ones that beat and murder them? These are the ones that make it "harmful". Without them, there would be no harm had for simply being gay.

That's your biased blindness talking. Yea sure, blame the Christians for all their mental illness. There is no self accountability in your world. Yet I can imagine a diagnosis of HIV would contribute greatly towards depression. And that's on THEM.

BTW, if your assumptions are true then it would indicate that the majority of people out there are not accepting of homosexuality since the LGBT community is committing suicide at far greater rates than straight people. If this is SOLELY because they are being bullied and treated as outcasts then society is not embracing their lifestyle. You can't have it both ways.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:21 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,224,358 times
Quote:
So, you are sticking by the whole, "All gay people have unsafe anal sex" line, even though it is patently false???

Also, please, do explain how being gay is harmful for someone mentally. Because the only thing I can see as "harmful" about being gay is having to deal with ignorant bigots who would rather you be dead than walking amongst the "good people" having equal rights and whatnot. In other words, the only thing "harmful" about being gay, is the people who make it that way for them.

You know, the ones that call them abominations, and say they shouldn't be able to be served by Christians or get married to their loved one. Or the ones who say hateful things when they see them holding hands, or showing any PDA at all. How about the ones that beat and murder them? These are the ones that make it "harmful". Without them, there would be no harm had for simply being gay.
It's his story, and he is sticking to it. When, He should actually focus his attention on those within the congregations that commit adultery on a daily basis. Or, the heterosexual pedophiles who abuse, even there own children. And, the Pastors or youth pastors who manipulate teenagers into having sex with them.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It appears to be your focus point, not on the relationship itself.
If you take away the anal sex, what are you condemning?
Just because I want to discuss the FACTS doesn't mean I have a fetish. Such an asinine comment. You couldn't stay away from this thread. Do you have a fetish about the topic?

Old 12-13-2018, 02:26 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,589,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, liberal Christians specifically do not think that there IS only "one true set of beliefs", unless you consider "other spiritual paths have validity" as a "true belief".
I suppose that is true of a lot of liberal Christians, and I would assume a lot of the pantheist/animist/etc folks as well. Can't argue with you there. My point was simply to show that most people, religious and otherwise, think that their beliefs system is the correct one. So to actually say, "There is only one true set of beliefs", doesn't make much sense in the grand scheme of things. It is so.... elitist.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:39 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,557,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
This old chestnut again?

Why not ask Jesus? Oh wait, I'll save you the trouble. Here's what Christ said:

Matthew 19:4-6

Just because God permitted other types of unions does not mean that He approved of them. He permitted polygamy, but even warned that it would bring harm and strife. And it did. Only God's design works best.
There is nothing exclusionary in your bible quote. Don't forget, Jesus (in his alter ego as god) told many of his followers to have multiple wives (and concubines).

So, I thought god's words were eternal? Again, your passage does not specifically exclude other unions, and since your god not only allowed them, but endorsed them previously, ergo, they are a go.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There is nothing exclusionary in your bible quote. Don't forget, Jesus (in his alter ego as god) told many of his followers to have multiple wives (and concubines).

So, I thought god's words were eternal? Again, your passage does not specifically exclude other unions, and since your god not only allowed them, but endorsed them previously, ergo, they are a go.
It is completely exclusively. The two can not become one if there are more than two. If God approved of polygamy, why would He warn against it in another verse? All you are doing is cherry picking to create a false narrative.

Last edited by jeffbase40; 12-13-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 12-13-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Let's stick to reality, shall we? Unless you have proof that most gay couples are not engaging in these dangerous sexual practices. The stats say otherwise.
Do they, Jeff? Because last I checked (I am not looking up the stats at the moment. I am on a shared computer), something like 15% of gay men have NEVER had anal sex. I believe it was 1 in 6 only have it a few times a year (which is less than the majority of straight women). So, why don't you go ahead and show me the stats that say most gay couples are having anal sex on a regular basis? Cause I haven't been able to find any that says that.

Like Jerwade said as well, you seem to be fixated on the sex. Being gay isn't about having anal sex, Jeff.

Quote:
If a person decided they wanted to go around wearing only underwear outside in the winter and faced some ridicule as well as getting sick from cold, would you say it's only the people who are causing the harm?
No, because they are facing actual harm from their activities. Gay people are not harming anyone by kissing in public. They are harming no one by holding hands, or having fun at a club. Most of them aren't even harming anyone by having the dreaded anal sex.

See, you want to take the unsafe, and unsanitary portion of the gay community (Which also exists in the straight community, even though you always dance around that), and use it as an excuse to treat ALL gay people like garbage.

Quote:
That's your biased blindness talking. Yea sure, blame the Christians for all their mental illness. There is no self accountability in your world. Yet I can imagine a diagnosis of HIV would contribute greatly towards depression. And that's on THEM.

Oh, so now being gay is a mental illness, huh? Are you are one of those idiotic "pray the gay away" folks?

A diagnosis of any fatal disease would contribute to depression as well. Not just HIV, and not just in gay people.

Quote:
BTW, if your assumptions are true then it would indicate that the majority of people out there are not accepting of homosexuality since the LGBT community is committing suicide at far greater rates than straight people. If this is SOLELY because they are being bullied and treated as outcasts then society is not embracing their lifestyle. You can't have it both ways.

No, it would indicate that there are bullies, usually from the fundamentalist or low IQ side of things, that pick on gay people.

And if you want to talk suicide stats, I would guarantee that the nerds, outcasts, and other people like that have a far higher percentage as well. How about this stat as well... From Wikipedia, white men accounted for 70% of suicides nationwide in 2016. Are you going to argue that being a white man is a contributing factor to suicide?

Again, I realize thinking outside of black and white terms is apparently difficult for you, but you never actually look at the whole picture. You just pick stuff that fits your narrative, and use it as 100% fact, without ever looking any further. There are MANY contributing factors to suicide. To label "being gay" as some huge suicidal factor is just dumb, especially considering what young gay people have to go through.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:48 PM

16,595 posts, read 15,537,117 times
Quote:
I already proposed the solution. Follow God's laws on sexuality and we will have strong marriages and practically no STDS.

Why do you want to encourage them to continue in a lifestyle that is obviously harmful both physically and mentally?
You haven't proposed anything that is remotely workable. Most LGBT people do not think they have a problem, therefore, no solution is necessary. One of the other members posted a list of God's marriage laws, which imply a great variety of sexuality norms. I can't figure out how a person would know which one is right.

You completely avoided answering the question put to you. People are gay, lesbian, transgendered, and many other things. They aren't going to change. Accepting these people into our communities will result in stronger relationships for them, meaning fewer partners, but it seems you don't want to do that.

The fact that you avoided answering the questions about your church probably says more than if you had answered them. Your failure to answer tells everybody reading this forum that you will not welcome them into your church, and certainly won't invite them to share your pew.

The only conclusion I can come to is that you will continue to ostracize them and try to keep them out of your own community. Sometimes, silence speaks louder than words.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:52 PM

88,154 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
I suppose that is true of a lot of liberal Christians, and I would assume a lot of the pantheist/animist/etc folks as well. Can't argue with you there. My point was simply to show that most people, religious and otherwise, think that their beliefs system is the correct one. So to actually say, "There is only one true set of beliefs", doesn't make much sense in the grand scheme of things. It is so.... elitist.
I agree. Personally, I don't think it's possible for anyone to say their way is the right way.

Perhaps the question should be, "Does my belief system, or lack of one, harm other people?"

Old 12-13-2018, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It's his story, and he is sticking to it. When, He should actually focus his attention on those within the congregations that commit adultery on a daily basis. Or, the heterosexual pedophiles who abuse, even there own children. And, the Pastors or youth pastors who manipulate teenagers into having sex with them.
But the adulterers are straight, so he doesn't care about that. Pedophiles... well, he would just say they were gay, if his past is any indication, and he would probably blame the teenagers for having sex with the pastors, and claim they were asking for it or something...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity