Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2019, 10:56 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times

Advertisements

Thank you Finn, you have outdone yourself.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:59 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This should be pinned to the top of this thread! Well said, MQ.
Yes, excellent...very clearly written, MQ

Old 02-09-2019, 03:01 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I used to be like you. Bitter, angry, resentful, arrogant etc, then I met a Jesus who is willing to save everyone--possibly even you.
He has never been bitter, angry, resentful or arrogant because a person's sexual orientation is that of the same sex or opposite their own. However, a fundamentalist is not born a fundamentalist, that is acquired through what a person is taught or what they have come to believe. They are the one's who are bitter, angry, resentful and self-centered to the point of being arrogant. And don't tell me that fundamentalists are not condemning of what they consider an abomination. I have seen this discrimination in action more times than I care to - even if the fundamentalist declines to answer a direct question in reference to what he/she actually believes.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:42 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
I used to be like you. Bitter, angry, resentful, arrogant etc, then I met a Jesus who is willing to save everyone--possibly even you.
And you love homosexuals ? When you tell me you do i will believe your rhetoric, if you don't i will continue to believe otherwise .

Old 02-10-2019, 07:32 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
He has never been bitter, angry, resentful or arrogant because a person's sexual orientation is that of the same sex or opposite their own.
Neither have I. In Wardens case being bitter, angry, resentful or arrogant is a general state of mind, and he lashes out at anyone who does not agree with his views. The good news is that Jesus is willing to save everyone who reaches out to Him, even Warden.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Neither have I. In Wardens case being bitter, angry, resentful or arrogant is a general state of mind, and he lashes out at anyone who does not agree with his views. The good news is that Jesus is willing to save everyone who reaches out to Him, even Warden.
Yes He is--you too. Homosexuals, too. Behavior modification not necessary.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:22 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
He has never been bitter, angry, resentful or arrogant because a person's sexual orientation is that of the same sex or opposite their own. However, a fundamentalist is not born a fundamentalist, that is acquired through what a person is taught or what they have come to believe. They are the one's who are bitter, angry, resentful and self-centered to the point of being arrogant. And don't tell me that fundamentalists are not condemning of what they consider an abomination. I have seen this discrimination in action more times than I care to - even if the fundamentalist declines to answer a direct question in reference to what he/she actually believes.
Quote:
Warden and I have disagreed on a few things (topics), but not once did I detect a bitter, angry, resentful or arrogant attitude. I believe we all can get frustrated at times and not really listen to what the other person is actually saying, instead we are too focused on our own response or position. Personally, I can see both sides of the equation, and why people believe the way they do. But regardless of their perspective or position, there is no reason to discriminate against those not like you. Discrimination leads to bitterness and anger, which manifests itself in hateful behaviors and attitudes. Nothing positive ever comes from looking down on others as being less-than how you see yourself. Doesn't the Bible teach you that all have sinned and fall short of his desire. So, how are homosexuals any different than that of fundamentalists? You cannot turn the Scriptures into a weapon against others, when it was never intended to be used that way.

Old 02-10-2019, 02:10 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Warden and I have disagreed on a few things (topics), but not once did I detect a bitter, angry, resentful or arrogant attitude. I believe we all can get frustrated at times and not really listen to what the other person is actually saying, instead we are too focused on our own response or position. Personally, I can see both sides of the equation, and why people believe the way they do. But regardless of their perspective or position, there is no reason to discriminate against those not like you. Discrimination leads to bitterness and anger, which manifests itself in hateful behaviors and attitudes. Nothing positive ever comes from looking down on others as being less-than how you see yourself. Doesn't the Bible teach you that all have sinned and fall short of his desire. So, how are homosexuals any different than that of fundamentalists? You cannot turn the Scriptures into a weapon against others, when it was never intended to be used that way.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:41 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Other Christians are coming to an understanding that homosexuality is a made-up sin so that fundamentalists can feel superior.

My denomination, the United Methodists, are unlikely to remain united after the conference (every four years) that will be held in St. Louis later this month.

My own district in Colorado is led by a lesbian bishop. My pastor has no qualms about any sexual orientation. But there are UM churches in the deep south that have a great deal of animosity toward gays and their "attempt" to take over the denomination.

My pastor believes a break in the two sides is inevitable, despite one policy being advanced to let each church decide for itself.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/un...cid=spartanntp

I'm reminded that Southern Baptists broke from the Baptist Church (now Northern) because of slavery. It took almost 150 years for them to even apologize to black people for calling slavery a "divine institution."

Finn and others will never apologize for being dismissive of others.

Old 02-10-2019, 11:26 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV
The thing that irks me is that Jeff, BaptistFundie, nor others of like mind who have disappeared from this thread, will even open up their minds a smidgin' to consider the views and the interpretations of scripture according to other scholars. How can they be so perpetually closed minded? The result of successful brainwashing?

I try to be a fair man (even though I can be obstinate) and sometimes I have to (reluctantly) bite the bullet and admit that I could be wrong.

Quote:
Listen to yourself, and take your own 'advice'. Why don't you open your mind a smidgin and consider their views, and then be fair and bite the bullet and admit you were wrong? Why are you being so closed minded that you only consider your personal view as the truth? It seems you are a victim of successful brainwashing
Nice try, Finn, but that won't work on me. It should be clear to you by now that I HAVE considered the teaching of mainstream Christianity regarding homosexuality AND FOUND IT TO BE IN ERROR! It's BECAUSE I studied (along with others) with an open mind the so-called 'clobber' passages of the Bible that I arrived where I am now on the subject. If you had done the same you would be in agreement with me.

Quote:
You have repeated your view several hundred times here, and it has been considered, and rejected as nonsense.
Excuse me ...where have I ever given 'my view'? 'My view' has nothing to do with my having offered scriptures that have previously been misinterpreted/misrepresented and instead given the correct meaning. It I was just giving my opinion on this topic I wouldn't bother. I especially wouldn't bother giving it, as you say, several hundred times.

So, listen up, Finn, for the several hundred and one-th time. The Bible DOES NOT address homosexuality. It addresses idolatry. NOT 'my view' but FACT! You can refute that until the cows come home and it won't make a shred of difference to me. You see, I've actually visited the Bible and have acquired the ability over the past two decades to do more than simply quote scripture (as most of you here do) but to actually read between the lines and analyze the texts.

That said, I realize that you haven't a clue what I'm talking about. Sorry, as you were . . .

Quote:
You think another 100 repetitions will make someone change their mind? Will your arrogance change their mind? You think calling others closed minded, brain washed , bigots, haters, etc make them change their mind?
No, of course I don't believe that closed minded, brainwashed, bigots, haters, etc. will change their minds. Don't kid yourself. I'm not here for them. They're too far gone. I'm here for others who might be struggling with homosexuality and have been so far deterred from being who they are and at ease with themselves because of the closed minded, brainwashed, bigots, haters, etc. whose purpose in life is to make their lives a misery.

Here is some rhetoric. Get thee behind me, Finn, you and your compatriots ...you block the light of Jesus whenever you appear.

Quote:
Gay agenda promoters like yourself sound like a broken record.
Yeah, okay, Finn ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity