Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2018, 12:49 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times

Advertisements

I’m a conservative Christian and am not aware that people like me were more angry about homosexuality than other sins. lol

I don’t think that having a natural homosexual attraction is sinful. The sin is in engaging in any sexuality not prescribed by God, namely heterosexual sex within a loving marriage. I wouldn’t consider a person who engages in homosexual sex any more sinful than a person that engages in heterosexual sex outside of marriage.

If you are born a homosexual, you should make the same sacrifices as a person born a pedophile or a polygamist or a sadist or a philandering heterosexual: you should abstain from sex.

Old 08-03-2018, 01:17 AM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I’m a conservative Christian and am not aware that people like me were more angry about homosexuality than other sins. lol

I don’t think that having a natural homosexual attraction is sinful. The sin is in engaging in any sexuality not prescribed by God, namely heterosexual sex within a loving marriage. I wouldn’t consider a person who engages in homosexual sex any more sinful than a person that engages in heterosexual sex outside of marriage.

If you are born a homosexual, you should make the same sacrifices as a person born a pedophile or a polygamist or a sadist or a philandering heterosexual: you should abstain from sex.
That reduces being homosexual to a sex act. Wanting a close committed relationship with someone you are attracted to is more than just sex. It would be the same as telling a heterosexual that they should never have a romantic partner. It's not the same as telling a pervert he can't dibble kids.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:14 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Homosexuality - one's innate sexual preference - is a 'sin'? How can it be? I really can't come to grips with this line of thinking.

Quote:
I don’t think that having a natural homosexual attraction is sinful. The sin is in engaging in any sexuality not prescribed by God, namely heterosexual sex within a loving marriage.
Have you actually read the Bible? Can you give any examples of 'a loving marriage'? Did you miss the part where the woman is to marry her rapist? Did Solomon have a loving relationship with his vast harem of wives and concubines? And, he was touted as being wise! How about women being used by male soldiers as 'spoils of war'? How about the man's wife being lesser in value than his cattle? Don't let us be using the Bible as a guide on marital love and correct marriage procedures!

Quote:
I wouldn’t consider a person who engages in homosexual sex any more sinful than a person that engages in heterosexual sex outside of marriage.
'Sin' is a Bible term. We don't use that term in the year 2018. But, if we choose to use that term then we have to point the biblical finger at every human being on Planet Earth.*

Quote:
Please, give just ONE good reason why a gay person should abstain from having a loving and intimate relationship with another? The question is genuine.

* There are none righteous; no, not one (Romans 3:10)

Old 08-03-2018, 07:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,912,231 times
Quote:

Your "prescription" is NOT "by God," it is by your church. There is a world of difference. And your comparison of a relationship in love with pedophilia and profligacy is pure prejudice.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:59 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
to a sex act
? I am suspecting it is the subject of this thread? so homosexuals isn't about the kind of sex?
maybe so maybe t6here is a confusion goes beyond the sphere of sexuality?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:20 AM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
? I am suspecting it is the subject of this thread? so homosexuals isn't about the kind of sex?
I suggest that you read Post #784 again, n..Xuipa.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:32 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Actually, homosexuality IS natural to the person who is homosexual. So it IS - or should be - good and acceptable. I'm not sure why this would even be an issue, but it would seem to be that bogus interpretations of scripture get in the way of logic and reason . . .

Speaking of that, BaptistFundie, I asked a question of Jeff a few days ago that he seems unable to answer ...at least he hasn't responded to it thus far. So, I'll ask the same question of you. You believe that the Bible condemns homosexuality ...correct? Where in scripture do you get this belief from? You see, the only references to same gender sex practices mentioned in scripture that I can see pertain to idolatry and affiliated sexual rituals as performed between temple prostitutes and their 'clients'. In fact, I'm so sure that there are no references to homosexuality in scripture as we today define the term, i.e. practices that are NOT equated to idolatry, that I'm wondering where the 'anti-gay' religious crowd are coming from. Can you present scripture - ANY scripture - that deals with same gender sex practices that DOES NOT refer to idolatry and temple prostitution ...?
Do you believe Billy Graham was a false teacher? Because he was quite in agreement with the Bible that homosexuality is sin. If God has no problem with homosexuality, why did He describe it as detestable in Leviticus 18:22? Why does He say homosexuals with no inherit the kingdom of God in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11?

1 Timothy 1:10-11 lists homosexuality in the same category as liars and enslavers. It is clearly sin.

And Jude 7 clearly shows that the sin of homosexuality is the reason why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed.

Nothing about temple prostitutes there.

Futhermore, you have Jesus only describing marriage as between a man and a woman. He would have described all types of unions if God wanted them.

Bottom line is that homosexuality is an affront to God's plan. That's what Satan promotes. Anything that is exactly opposite to God which his way of sticking it to God. Satan wants mankind to suffer so homosexuality is a tool to cause great problems and distress as well as open people to more demonic influence. This is one reason why the suicide rate is so high among gay people. The reality is that we are in a spiritual war for our souls. We need to be focused on fighting that war daily rather than selfishly focused on what I can get out of this life.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Do you believe Billy Graham was a false teacher? Because he was quite in agreement with the Bible that homosexuality is sin. If God has no problem with homosexuality, why did He describe it as detestable in Leviticus 18:22? Why does He say homosexuals with no inherit the kingdom of God in 1 Corinthians 6:9-11?

1 Timothy 1:10-11 lists homosexuality in the same category as liars and enslavers. It is clearly sin.

And Jude 7 clearly shows that the sin of homosexuality is the reason why Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed.

Nothing about temple prostitutes there.

Futhermore, you have Jesus only describing marriage as between a man and a woman. He would have described all types of unions if God wanted them.

Bottom line is that homosexuality is an affront to God's plan. That's what Satan promotes. Anything that is exactly opposite to God which his way of sticking it to God. Satan wants mankind to suffer so homosexuality is a tool to cause great problems and distress as well as open people to more demonic influence. This is one reason why the suicide rate is so high among gay people. The reality is that we are in a spiritual war for our souls. We need to be focused on fighting that war daily rather than selfishly focused on what I can get out of this life.
Billy Graham was the victim of 3,000 years of Judeo-Christian misinterpretation and prejudice as you might expect from a member of our generation. I thank God I realized MY error.

Examine your citations: every one has to do with idolatry and/or profligacy which is bad whether same sex or heterosexual. Same sex committed relationships are NOT addressed and they do no more harm to ANYone than heterosexual relations.

You, a human, believe you can constrain the wondrous variety of God? Seriously?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n..Xuipa View Post
The point, n..Xuipa, is that you don't take human relationship into account, just actions. Is marriage all about getting laid?

Old 08-03-2018, 10:04 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Actually, homosexuality IS natural to the person who is homosexual. So it IS - or should be - good and acceptable. I'm not sure why this would even be an issue, but it would seem to be that bogus interpretations of scripture get in the way of logic and reason . . .

Speaking of that, BaptistFundie, I asked a question of Jeff a few days ago that he seems unable to answer ...at least he hasn't responded to it thus far. So, I'll ask the same question of you. You believe that the Bible condemns homosexuality ...correct? Where in scripture do you get this belief from? You see, the only references to same gender sex practices mentioned in scripture that I can see pertain to idolatry and affiliated sexual rituals as performed between temple prostitutes and their 'clients'. In fact, I'm so sure that there are no references to homosexuality in scripture as we today define the term, i.e. practices that are NOT equated to idolatry, that I'm wondering where the 'anti-gay' religious crowd are coming from. Can you present scripture - ANY scripture - that deals with same gender sex practices that DOES NOT refer to idolatry and temple prostitution ...?
The OT Mosaic Law prohibits homosexual sex in Leviticus 18:22. Now, we are not Jews living in ancient Israel, as I've said many times. But it does tell us what God thinks of it. We see in Romans 1 it specifically condemns the fact that people abandoned the "natural" and burned with passion for each other. It's clear that homosexuality is condemned (Rom 1:26-27). It's clear that no--it's not just about idol worship.

Now...those obvious verses aside, look at the entirety of Scripture. God created Male and female. Adam and Eve, and he never once said that a homosexual relationship was good. Nowhere. Jesus affirmed Biblical marriage, as well. While we DO have God saying that marriage is male/female...NOWHERE do we see any indication that it can be homosexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity