Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 02:42 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
The point you failed to see is that everything else stems from and only exemplifies this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Nope... everything does not stem from this.

What else does Jesus insist we do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Why no it was not all he said--he finished with-

There is no commandment greater than these."

LOVE IS THE ROOT OF ABUNDANT LIFE

YES it does. How can one claim to love God whom they have NOT seen and NOT love their neighbor whom they have seen..

So if we do not / will not / cannot LOVE our neighbor, we have NOTHING..

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

Sound the least bit familiar?

How about this?

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

OR THIS>?

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

LOVE IS GREATER THAN FAITH! LOVE IS GREATER THAN HOPE! LOVE IS LIFE!

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong[/color] or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 06:49 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,177,133 times
Jesus indeed said His followers would do the works He did - and greater because the Spirit is now with us - BUT...

...the part Peacemaker and others are missing is this: we think of Jesus doing all these great works, but He said it was the Father that did them; and now we're told that His yoke is easy and burden is light (in contrast to the law).

So, we have fruits of the spirit or works of the flesh - one is an outflowing of the life source within us, and the other is effort.

Talk to me.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:54 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,130 times
Quote:

YES it does. How can one claim to love God whom they have NOT seen and NOT love their neighbor whom they have seen..

Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen.

How about this?

Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

OR THIS>?

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, [COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong[/color] or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.
If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Notice, no words of Jesus even though He said; "Abide in my word"

"You can tell a tree by it's fruit"

"I have made your name known to them and I will make it known so that the love which with you loved me may be in them and I in them."
^(The truth, the word)

Old 09-11-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Jesus indeed said His followers would do the works He did - and greater because the Spirit is now with us - BUT...

...the part Peacemaker and others are missing is this: we think of Jesus doing all these great works, but He said it was the Father that did them; and now we're told that His yoke is easy and burden is light (in contrast to the law).

So, we have fruits of the spirit or works of the flesh - one is an outflowing of the life source within us, and the other is effort.

Talk to me.
It was the Father's words that did the works through the mouth of Jesus and all the prophets who spoke them. Since God is spirit as Jesus stated and also said the word of God is spirit then the word dwelling in the believer and coming out of the heart and the mouth does the works of God,

That is what you are missing.

"Worship God alone, Him alone shall you serve."

"Genuine worshipers worship the Father in spirit (the word) and truth" (the word).

That verse above simply states that those who worship God correctly do it by using His word.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
It was the Father's words that did the works through the mouth of Jesus and all the prophets who spoke them. Since God is spirit as Jesus stated and also said the word of God is spirit then the word dwelling in the believer and coming out of the heart and the mouth does the works of God,

That is what you are missing.

"Worship God alone, Him alone shall you serve."

"Genuine worshipers worship the Father in spirit (the word) and truth" (the word).

That verse above simply states that those who worship God correctly do it by using His word.
I agree completely - and it goes along with this misunderstood verse: Faith without works is dead.

Is it us that works? No, it's our faith - now we're getting deeper. When He talked about faith as a mustard seed, He immediately said, "Suppose one of you has a servant..." (Luke 17)

Bottom line, our fruit is born out of our relationship with Him, and is not - can't be - the focus.

Do we abide by the commandments? No, we abide in Him. Do we obey the commandments? Yes, but we're not focusing on them - it's a fruit of His holiness, not ours.

How many people can recite the 10 commandments? How many have John 3:16 memorized? The Holy Spirit made it easy to focus on what's important.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:18 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If you truly (and sincerely) keep the royal law stated in Scripture:
"Love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing what is right.
Amen!
Quote:
How about this?
OR THIS>?
Good selections! Rep IOU.
Quote:
Talk to me.
Well said!!Rep IOU.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I agree completely - and it goes along with this misunderstood verse: Faith without works is dead.

Is it us that works? No, it's our faith - now we're getting deeper. When He talked about faith as a mustard seed, He immediately said, "Suppose one of you has a servant..." (Luke 17)

Bottom line, our fruit is born out of our relationship with Him, and is not - can't be - the focus.

Do we abide by the commandments? No, we abide in Him. Do we obey the commandments? Yes, but we're not focusing on them - it's a fruit of His holiness, not ours.

How many people can recite the 10 commandments? How many have John 3:16 memorized? The Holy Spirit made it easy to focus on what's important.
The problem is mainstream Christianity thinks Jesus work was done. For Him it was done but His teaching is suppose to live on in His followers, They are sent as He was sent.

In the future there will be many like Him. saying what He said and acting like Him. This is what He commanded. Not people who think He saved the world, because what saves the world is keeping His word and preaching the word. Doesn't matter if someone has heard it before. The idea is to keep God alive in you by keeping His word alive.

Keeping His word alive is abiding in His word. If his word is in you, God is in you because as Jesus said God is His word.

"Anyone who eats my flesh and drinks my blood shall live forever,"

God's word is life!!!!

Old 09-11-2015, 01:16 PM

I agree but I'll try to insert one more thought into this.

In John 17, Jesus said that He had finished the work that the Father had given Him to do; now He had not even gone to Calvary at this time!

The "work" was His time here on earth, no doubt dealing with the enemy; the Cross was His rest - that's right, His rest was in saving us.

Remember, Jesus said, "the Son of Man has no place to lay His head". But at the Cross, when He "bowed" His head at death, the same Greek word is used as "lay".

That's fruit, resting in your joyful expression.

Old 09-11-2015, 02:12 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,916,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I follow Paul's teachings, not Jesus' because at heart I'm a lazy butt and Paul said emphatically, "For it is by grace ye are saved through faith, NOT by works...". So I can be saved by faith alone and I don't have to lift a finger. That's my cup of tea.

These found at Matt 7:22-23 think as you do--but they still included the works, it did them no good. Living now to do the will of God is what gets one entrance into his kingdom-Matt 7:21
Faith in the true God=John 4:22-24

Old 09-11-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I agree but I'll try to insert one more thought into this.

In John 17, Jesus said that He had finished the work that the Father had given Him to do; now He had not even gone to Calvary at this time!

The "work" was His time here on earth, no doubt dealing with the enemy; the Cross was His rest - that's right, His rest was in saving us.

Remember, Jesus said, "the Son of Man has no place to lay His head". But at the Cross, when He "bowed" His head at death, the same Greek word is used as "lay".

That's fruit, resting in your joyful expression.
"If the son frees you, you shall truly be free."

The son is the servant of God as scripture states. Those who serve in the light are freed by the light and the works of the son of man.

If the light frees you, you will be truly freed by the son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity